RIAA suing users

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
It's getting ugly in the music sharing business.

In its ongoing, aggressive effort to stem Internet music piracy, the record industry filed suit today against four college students who run Napster-like file-sharing computer networks at three universities, including Princeton University.

watch out, YOU could be next.

tommyj27

Not really Banned
i actually did, well, almost completely. most of the music on my pc is ripped from my cds because i'm too lazy to walk two feet and find the cd i want

Dave

those RIAA people are complete dolts. the vast majority of the new CD's i've bought are because i was able to listen to a few songs from an artist beforehand.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Counter-sue for invasion of privacy...illegal wiretapping...how about tresspassing?

freako104

Gato_Solo said:
Counter-sue for invasion of privacy...illegal wiretapping...how about tresspassing?

that sounds good to me. i used to like the RIAA but lately i cant give less than a shit about them. all they want now is money but there was a time i actually liked them.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
it just got harder to fight the RIAA

Reuters Friday, April 18, 2003; 9:20 PM By Andy Sullivan

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. government sided with the recording industry in its dispute with Verizon Communications Inc. on Friday, saying a digital-copyright law invoked by record labels to track down Internet song-swappers did not violate the U.S. Constitution.

The move, while expected, came as a blow to the Internet provider as it struggles to shield its customers.

"We would have expected they would have recognized there are important privacy and safety issues beyond the narrow copyright claims here," Verizon Vice President Sarah Deutsch, who is also associate general counsel, told Reuters.

Verizon, and a recording-industry trade group have been in court since September, arguing over whether Verizon should be forced to help crack down on the online song-swapping that record labels blame for a decline in CD sales.

The Recording Industry Association of America says Verizon is required under law to help its members protect their copyrights. Verizon says it is willing to help, but that the law only applies to Web pages stored on its computers, not the "peer to peer" networks like Kazaa that merely travel across its wires.

A district court sided with the recording industry in January. Verizon appealed the decision, and is arguing that the names of suspected copyright violators should not be revealed in the meantime.

Verizon argues that the law in question, the 1998 Digital Millennium Copyright Act, known as the DMCA, violates free-speech and due-process rights protected by the U.S. Constitution.

In a filing with the U.S. District Court in Washington, the Department of Justice said the law is not unconstitutional. The Justice Department is required to weigh in on cases where constitutional issues are raised.

Deutsch said she was disappointed that the Justice Department would take such a stand, as stalkers and other criminals could conceivably use the law to track down victims.

RIAA WELCOMES RULING

"The government's filing today supports the proposition that we have long advocated: copyright owners have a clear and unambiguous entitlement to determine who is infringing their copyrights online and that entitlement is constitutional," said Matt Oppenheimer, Senior Vice President for Business and Legal Affairs at the RIAA.

"Verizon's persistent efforts to protect copy thieves on pirate peer-to-peer networks will not succeed," he told Reuters.

Justice said the law did not violate the free-speech rights of everyday users because it is only targeted at those who violate copyrights.

"It is manifest that the DMCA's subpoena provision targets the identity of alleged copyright infringers, not spoken words or conduct commonly associated with expression," Justice said.

Justice also said that the law did not violate due-process protections because nothing in the Constitution specifically barred the investigative process set up by the DMCA, which requires record labels to get approval from a court clerk before asking Verizon or other Internet providers to surrender customer names.

Verizon argues that record labels should be required to get permission from a judge, rather than a clerk, a move that would add another legal hurdle to any copyright investigation.

Verizon says such a move is necessary to protect user privacy because otherwise any copyright holder -- or anybody claiming to be a copyright holder -- could easily obtain the name and address of any Internet user.

tommyj27

Not really Banned
i just read a really good article about this yesterday, might have been on slashdot, i'll try to find it

tommyj27

Not really Banned
there it is, a couple days old. how many people here read slashdot? i always post links from there and i always wonder if i'm reposting what everyone read yesterday.

story

slashdot said:
Mortimer.CA writes "The Toronto Star has an article up about the ailing recording industry with some possible scenarios for solving the problem(s). Choice quotation: 'We must ask ourselves what Elvis would do to stop the theft of music via the Internet, now so widespread and so brazen that it makes the Baghdad looters look like trick-or-treaters.'"

Mirlyn

tommyj27 said:
there it is, a couple days old. how many people here read slashdot? i always post links from there and i always wonder if i'm reposting what everyone read yesterday.

story

slashdot said:
Mortimer.CA writes "The Toronto Star has an article up about the ailing recording industry with some possible scenarios for solving the problem(s). Choice quotation: 'We must ask ourselves what Elvis would do to stop the theft of music via the Internet, now so widespread and so brazen that it makes the Baghdad looters look like trick-or-treaters.'"

Only nerds read /. :cool: True nerds go to the meet-ups.

I am nerd. Hear me roar. :p

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
More, still.

By David McGuire washingtonpost.com Staff Writer
Thursday, April 24, 2003; 6:10 PM

Verizon Corp. must reveal the identities of two high-speed Internet subscribers accused of illegally trading music online, a federal judge ruled today.

U.S. District Court Judge John Bates denied Verizon's request for a stay of his January ruling ordering the company to turn over the name of one of the subscribers to the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA). Bates said that Verizon has 14 days to convince a federal appeals court to grant a stay of his ruling.

If Bates's ruling ultimately stands, it would give the recording industry and copyright owners a powerful weapon to stop the illegal trading of copyrighted files that they say eats away at their revenues. The RIAA, many musicians and other copyright holders have argued that the increase in file-sharing during the past several years has seriously eroded music sales.

Verizon had argued that turning over subscribers' names would violate their constitutional right to privacy.

The RIAA cited the 1998 Digital Millennium Copyright Act -- or DMCA -- in its legal effort to force Verizon to reveal the names. The DMCA gives movie studios, record companies, software makers and other copyright owners the right to subpoena Internet service providers without getting a judge's approval.

Verizon originally argued that it is unfair for the music industry to be allowed to obtain subpoenas without judicial approval, but Bates threw out that argument in a January ruling. Verizon then turned to its argument that the DMCA is unconstitutional.

RIAA President Cary Sherman praised the ruling today in a written statement.

"If users of pirate peer-to-peer sites don't want to be identified, they should not break the law by illegally distributing music," Sherman said. "Today's decision makes clear that these individuals cannot rely on their ISPs to shield them from accountability."

Verizon will appeal the ruling, said Associate General Counsel Sara Deutsch.

"The case is not over and we intend to immediately appeal the decision and seek a stay in the U.S. Court of Appeals," she said. "It's virtually unprecedented in U.S. law that someone can use a form to find out your identity without any judicial process."

TechNews.com Home
© 2003 TechNews.com

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
This is going to be a very long & drawn out legal battle...

A federal judge in Los Angeles has handed a stunning court victory to file-swapping services Streamcast Networks and Grokster, dismissing much of the record industry and movie studios' lawsuit against the two companies.

BusinessWeek

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
WAR HaS BEEN DECLARED

Software Bullet Is Sought to Kill Musical Piracy
By ANDREW ROSS SORKIN

Some of the world's biggest record companies, facing rampant online piracy, are quietly financing the development and testing of software programs that would sabotage the computers and Internet connections of people that download pirated music, according to industry executives.

The record companies are exploring options on new countermeasures, which some experts say have varying degrees of legality, to deter online theft: from attacking personal Internet connections so as to slow or halt downloads of pirated music to overwhelming the distribution networks with potentially malicious programs that masquerade as music files.

NYTimes

Q

I heard on the radio yesterday they were sending messages to kazaa users saying they were NOT anonymous and some shit about file sharing...sounded kinda threatening from the story they broadcast.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
They're going to end up breaking the law in this themselves, then we won't have a thing to worry about. :wink2:

As for music files that are malicious, they're going to have to create a new music format first, mp3's aren't executable.:confuse3:

ris

someone on hwc pointed out that using the kazaa network to contact and gather informatio is against the licence policy, so the riaa would be liable to suits from kazaa.