Screwed with the wrong marine....

HomeLAN

A pack of would-be robbers including, a pregnant 17-year-old, figured a Midtown waiter walking to his girlfriend's house Monday night would be an easy mark, according to police.

But, in Thomas Autry, 36, the bandits picked the wrong victim, said Atlanta police homicide Detective Danny Stephens. The former Marine, cornered by his pursuers on Penn Avenue at 4th Street, fought back with a pocket knife in a deadly melee that left the young woman dead and a man in his late teens seriously injured at a hospital.

Autry suffered minor injuries. The identity of the suspects, who Stephens said are believed to be linked to "a lot" of pedestrian robberies in Midtown and Virginia-Highland, was not released. The three surviving attackers face aggravated assault and robbery charges, police said.

Autry will not be charged, Stephens said. "It was a clear case of self defense."

Stephens said Autry had left his job at the Jocks & Jills restaurant in Midtown and was walking along Penn Avenue when a blue Cadillac pulled alongside and three men, one armed with a shotgun, and the woman jumped from the car.

"This group had robbed two men on Piedmont earlier Monday night, taking a video camera and a cellphone," Stephens said.

"Autry takes off running, and they chase him. During the chase, Autry's trying to get into his backpack to get a pocket knife, which slows him down," Stephens said.

During the chase, Autry repeatedly yelled "fire, fire," which Stephens said attracted nearby residents' attention.

Grabbing the knife from his backpack, Autry managed to kick the shotgun from the man's hands and stabbed the woman in the chest, fatally wounding her. Stephens said. In the melee, Autry also stabbed one of the male suspects. Another suspect attempted to shoot Autry with a .380 pistol, which misfired, Stephens said.

The suspects ran back to the Cadillac and drove to Atlanta Medical Center, where police arrested them. The young woman, "about two weeks pregnant," was pronounced dead at the hospital, Stephens said. The wounded suspect is in critical condition.

Local rag - may require free registration

highwayman

If I was looking for a body guard he would be at the top of my list...

Prof; they can bitch all they want about the marine, no charges were brought up on the man...

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
A new improved revamped Billy Jack is back & coming to a hospital near you.

highwayman

alex said:
I say they should let him loose in the hospital to finish the job :D

What I would do is send them bouqueas with a get well soon cards and sign the cards Wish you were here...

chcr

Too cute for words
Isn't there an old line about bringing a pistol to a knife fight. Once again we see that superior weaponry will rarely overcome superior training. Kudos to the marine and the Corps.

Professur

freako104 said:
Won't stop it, but the judge if he is just will side with the Marine

they allowed a guy to sue for millions for spilling coffee in his own lap. That's one mighty big IF

MrBishop

chcr said:
Isn't there an old line about bringing a pistol to a knife fight. Once again we see that superior weaponry will rarely overcome superior training. Kudos to the marine and the Corps.
Buddy is lucky that the handgun misfired. Training won't help you when you've got a sucking chest wound.

chcr

Too cute for words
MrBishop said:
Buddy is lucky that the handgun misfired. Training won't help you when you've got a sucking chest wound.
You're assuming the kid could have hit the guy in the melee. Just as likely to shoot one of his own. He was clearly already too close.

HomeLAN

Thomas Autry is a former Marine corporal, but he doesn't consider himself a brave man for fighting off five assailants, one of whom died.

The soft-spoken Autry was somber Tuesday afternoon, less than 24 hours after he was attacked late Memorial Day while walking home from work at a Midtown Atlanta restaurant.

"I'm sorry this whole thing happened. I hate this world has gotten to the point where it is predatory," said a shaken Autry, speaking briefly to reporters from behind the screen door of his Atlanta apartment.

Police say Autry, 36, acted in self-defense when he stabbed 17-year-old Amy Martin, who died of wounds to her chest. Another alleged assailant, Christopher Daniel, 18, was in critical condition Tuesday night with stab wounds to his upper torso.

The group was part of a teenage robbery crew that had struck twice this month, authorities said.

Prowling for a victim just after 11 p.m. Monday, the group might have mistaken the tall, thin Autry for an easy mark as the waiter walked home alone after finishing a shift at Jocks & Jills, police said.

But the Desert Storm veteran, cornered by his pursuers on Penn Avenue at 4th Street, fought back with a pocket knife.

More than his military training, Autry said, "what really helped me was growing up in New York."

He said he knew to stay alert on his long walk home and turned to investigate after seeing a white cat scurry across the street. That's when he saw his attackers piling out of a dark blue 2007 Cadillac, he said.

One of the teens carried a shotgun.

"My first instinct was to run," said Autry. "Those kids were younger than me. They caught me and cornered me. It was about life preservation."

Atlanta police homicide Detective Danny Stephens said that during the chase, Autry was trying to get into his backpack to get the knife, which slowed him down.

As he ran, Autry repeatedly yelled "Fire," which Stephens said attracted the attention of nearby residents, who called 911.

Cornered, Autry kicked the shotgun from the hands of one attacker and stabbed Martin and Daniel. Another suspect attempted to shoot Autry with a .380 pistol but it misfired, Stephens said.

The attackers ran back to the Cadillac and drove to Atlanta Medical Center, where police arrested them.

Police say Autry suffered a cut to his hand. His right index finger was bandaged but he declined to discuss his injuries.

Martin's 17th birthday was earlier this month. Relatives said she was dating one of the boys who was arrested. A 10th- grader at Grady High, Martin was scheduled to take a final exam in social studies Tuesday, relatives said.

Early police reports indicated Martin was pregnant but the autopsy concluded otherwise, according to the Fulton County Medical Examiner's office.

Autry sighed with relief after learning the teenager was not pregnant. "That really makes me feel a whole lot better that she wasn't with child," he said. "I'm sorry to her family. I just feel real bad at the situation."

The surviving suspects were identified as Kendall Barksdale, 17, of Atlanta; Christopher Hayes, 17, of Douglasville; a 16-year old whose name is being withheld because of his age, and Daniel, whose address was not listed. They were arrested on charges of aggravated assault and armed robbery.

Martin, nicknamed "Strawberry" for her sweet disposition as a young girl, had fallen "into a bad crowd," according to relatives who gathered at the southwest Atlanta apartment where she and her family lived.

Her stepfather, Chris Roberts, said Martin's death resulted from "her wrong choices in friends, and being in the wrong place, with the wrong people.

"She wasn't brought up that way," he said.

Martin's younger sister Kristie Roberts, 12, blamed Martin's boyfriend of three years, the youngest suspect in the group.

"She wouldn't have been in that car but for [him]," Kristie said.

The teen's stepfather chimed in: "I told her to stay away from these people who have no ambition but trouble."

Autry said he hopes the culprits can be rehabilitated and not just locked up.

He was clearly troubled by the attack. Concerned about his safety and that of his girlfriend, Autry had his door locks changed Tuesday and he asked to not be photographed.

Autry was honorably discharged in 1992 after serving in Operation Desert Storm in Saudi Arabia. When told that many people consider him a hero for his actions, Autry disagreed.

"The heroes are those guys out there fighting for us every day and not getting respect," he said, referring to military personnel fighting in Iraq and elsewhere. "That [killing the attacker] wasn't admirable, it was fight or flight — and I tried the flight."

AJC

Actually, it makes me feel better that she wasn't pregnant, too. No lives of any real consequence were lost.

Professur

Can someone tell me why "martin" is even worth the slightest attention in this article? "She wasn't brought up that way?" Yeah, you keep telling yourself that, pal.

Altron

I noticed two things-
-2007 Cadillac - Spoiled kids with rich parents looking for a little 'fun' on the side?
-17 years old in 10th grade. People enter 10th at 15 and finish at 16, which means she was minimum one year behind, possibly two. Not the sharpest crayon in the box, methinks.

unclehobart

I wonder if the .380 auto was a piece of shit or if the ammo was ancient and truly misfired. It could have ended up bad for the jarhead if the dippy kids would have at least tried the weapon out ahead of time... or if they would have just given up the chase and looked for an eaiser mark.

highwayman

It sounds to me the brat only knew how to pull the trigger, the gun could be so dirty that even if it did go off it would not have hit anything...As far as the ammo the only way it could have been no good is if got wet at one time...