Severe Earthquake Strikes Iran

PuterTutor said:
Well, if I knew of a family that had thier house destroyed, and no way for them to rebuild or even to find shelter of any means, I would help them. Even if it was my sworn enemy, I beleive I would help them. It would certainly be nice if we could not be enemies again afterwards, but I wouldn't expect it as a condition of my help.

I suppose you're right. And I suppose I could agree on a personal level. But we're talking nations here. Governments.

Maybe my brain is just too small to understand it all, but it just doesn't make sense to me.

Iran doesn't like the US.
Iran is supposedly part of the "axis of evil" :rolleyes:
Iran supposedly has a mass destruction program

the US doesn't like Iran
the US doesn't have a bunch of excess money to throw around

Iran isn't going to like us any better or not like us any less if we help.

So ... I think it's pointless for us to help.

PuterTutor said:
Well, if I knew of a family that had thier house destroyed, and no way for them to rebuild or even to find shelter of any means, I would help them. Even if it was my sworn enemy, I beleive I would help them. It would certainly be nice if we could not be enemies again afterwards, but I wouldn't expect it as a condition of my help.

PT gets the Humaitarianism Award for the last week of 2003.

Gonz will point out the obvious flaw. As you are assisting, they shoot you in the back & take your house, steal your food & money using that to rebuild.

Rose said:
But we're talking nations here. Governments.

Iran doesn't like the US.
Iran is supposedly part of the "axis of evil" :rolleyes:
Iran supposedly has a mass destruction program

the US doesn't like Iran
the US doesn't have a bunch of excess money to throw around

Iran isn't going to like us any better or not like us any less if we help.

So ... I think it's pointless for us to help.

Very true on all points, the thing is this. We aren't there to help the nation rebuild, nor the government. You can be sure that we won't be anywhere near any government buildings. What we are there for are the thousands of people that are without homes and food. People that may or may not even understand that their government is part of this Axis of Evil. Should they be punished because they live where they live? Now, surely the government will get some of our aid, if nothing else by calling it taxation of some type, but hopefully most will get through to the people.

Gonz said:
PT gets the Humaitarianism Award for the last week of 2003.

Gonz will point out the obvious flaw. As you are assisting, they shoot you in the back & take your house, steal your food & money using that to rebuild.
Again, sure it could happen. I just don't agree with the tactics of waving food in their face and saying "NA nana nana, swear off your prior allegiances and we'll give you this" It's morally wrong.

Gonz said:
I agree. Don't offer the enemy anything. Make them ask :roll:

So when someone does ask, you should make them give up their principles before we give it to them?

PuterTutor said:
Very true on all points, the thing is this. We aren't there to help the nation rebuild, nor the government. You can be sure that we won't be anywhere near any government buildings. What we are there for are the thousands of people that are without homes and food. People that may or may not even understand that their government is part of this Axis of Evil. Should they be punished because they live where they live? Now, surely the government will get some of our aid, if nothing else by calling it taxation of some type, but hopefully most will get through to the people.

:s But see, who will be there to ensure it will go to the people?

I think it's bad to let the people suffer, irregardless of government issues. But as it's been said before, it's hard to separate the people from the government.

I hope nobody plans on going to Iran for awhile. They can't catch a break

Meteorite hits Iran
Fri January 02, 2004 10:48 AM ET

TEHRAN (Reuters) - A meteorite has hit northern Iran causing minor damage to property but there were no immediate reports of casualties, state radio has said.
It said the impact sent locals in panic onto the streets in the northern town of Babol in Mazandaran province.

"A meteorite which hit Babol on Friday morning caused only some minor damage to residential units," radio said, without giving further details or citing any source.

It said the impact was felt up to one kilometre away.

Iranians are currently mourning at least 30,000 people killed by an earthquake measuring 6.8 on the Richter scale which struck southeastern Iran on December 26.

HeXp£Øi± said:
Anyone reconsidering that nature gets angry debate yet? :D

I've got one, Hex. How is it possible to consider humanity as "outside" of nature?

a bit random, but they found a very elderly woman alive in the wreckage from the earthquake. :)

Back