Sex Ed. INCREASES abstinance

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Sex education found to increase abstinence in early teens
From NBC12 News

Sex education classes appear to boost the likelihood that teens will wait until at least their 15th birthday to have sex.

A study of more than 2,000 teens found that boys who had sex education in school were 71 percent less likely to have sex before age 15.

The effect was also significant among teen girls in school, particularly among blacks.

linky

Maybe learning that condoms aren't 100% and that they rhythm method is for the gamblers makes them think twice.

Professur

I wonder what age they started the Ed. at, since they omit that in the article.

I still say one of the fastest ways to head off teen sex is to give them a puppy and make them look after it.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
The truth is of no consequence to the modern conservative, so why bother Paul?

Mostly because I know Prof in the real world, and it is healthy to debate, I personally don't think he is close minded, I do know he has his own beliefs and he lives by them. I do know truth is of major consequence to him, and that while we perceive things differently, we can still debate it.

and truthfully, it's not his fault he is scottish.

:)

PrincessLissa

Well, at first glance it looks like the article might be something that people could be happy about, but the age 15? Are you kidding me? I guess good for you that you waited until you were 15 rather than 12, but how about waiting until you are with someone you really and truly love in a non-high school way. Or better yet, wait until you are married. I wish it wasn't so wrong to teach children that waiting until you are married is a good thing.

I 100% wish I would have waited until I was married. In fact, the reason I was married is because we didn't wait and look how that turned out.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Well, at first glance it looks like the article might be something that people could be happy about, but the age 15? Are you kidding me? I guess good for you that you waited until you were 15 rather than 12, but how about waiting until you are with someone you really and truly love in a non-high school way. Or better yet, wait until you are married. I wish it wasn't so wrong to teach children that waiting until you are married is a good thing.

I 100% wish I would have waited until I was married. In fact, the reason I was married is because we didn't wait and look how that turned out.

It's good to teach them to wait, but at the same time give them the ugly truth, that if they DO have sex, unprotected, this is what can happen, and if they DO have sex, these are the protections available to them.

This absience only teaching is like "aids is your punishment for not waiting"

ResearchMonkey

Yeah, I find it wise to teach my kids how to 'hit' the vein everytime on top of the 'don't use drugs' message. I never shot-up, for one, becuase I was afraid of it. I certainly want for them to be well infomed about how to properly do the drugs the will have oppertunity with for their Highschool college years.

:confbang:

PrincessLissa

It's good to teach them to wait, but at the same time give them the ugly truth, that if they DO have sex, unprotected, this is what can happen, and if they DO have sex, these are the protections available to them.

This absience only teaching is like "aids is your punishment for not waiting"

I didn't say that teaching children only abstinence is the only way. Schools and society are great at teaching children about condoms, birth control, and the morning after pill. Why are the schools not stressing abstinence a bit more when showing kids a video of HIV positive teens? Why is it such a bad thing (and some consider "religious" thing) to teach children to wait until marriage. In my 5th grade class, I remember only hearing that not having sex is the only safe way to keep ourselves away from pregnancy and STD's one time. I remember tons of talk about how to prevent those things if we did have sex.

I for one am not against a bit of reality when it comes to teaching my kids. In fact my kids get to see it first hand. If my husband and I would have waited to have sex until we were married, we would not have contracted HPV and have to go through cancer screenings twice a year and a ton of procedures to remove the abnormal cells. Please teach my children that sex can cause teenage pregnancy and take away a child's childhood. Please teach them that serious STD's can be contracted and follow you around the rest of their life. Sure, you can add in a few thoughts and information about how to avoid these things, but it needs to be stressed that IF YOU HAVE SEX, NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO THESE THINGS ARE ALL POSSIBLE. Don't teach them that it's okay to have unprotected sex because you can just go get a pill and make the "problem" disappear.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Yeah, I find it wise to teach my kids how to 'hit' the vein everytime on top of the 'don't use drugs' message. I never shot-up, for one, becuase I was afraid of it. I certainly want for them to be well infomed about how to properly do the drugs the will have oppertunity with for their Highschool college years.

:confbang:

gee, that is sort of like saying I teach my kids not to START fires, so I will not show them the proper escape routes in case they knock over a candle.

Professur

OK, I'm getting quite sick of the 'conservative' crap. It might surprise some people to know that I don't toe the line on every fucking issue that you liberals disagree with, Mark. Would it surprise you to know that at 12, I wasn't a virgin, and had no intention of leaving any of the girls around me virgins either? But, wow, I managed it without getting any of them pregnant. Holy Fuck, right? Not possible. No, it's called not being stupid. Again with the 'condoms break' whine? Wow, never happened to me. I guess I'm just some kind of miracle worker, eh?

And I've had the sex talk with my daughter. She hadn't even had her first period yet. And ... hold on to your seat ..... she's not the slightest bit uncomfortable talking sex with me. What's that you say? Not possible? A conservative's kid can't talk sex with them? A conservative parent can't be sexually informed?

Mark, do yourself a big favour, and open your eyes to the fact that not everyone is all the way left or right. As a rule, I'm neither. I like progress and change as much as anyone. I just don't see stupidity as a forgivable offense.

PrincessLissa

And I've had the sex talk with my daughter. She hadn't even had her first period yet. And ... hold on to your seat ..... she's not the slightest bit uncomfortable talking sex with me. What's that you say? Not possible? A conservative's kid can't talk sex with them? A conservative parent can't be sexually informed?

Right, left, in the middle, whatever...I firmly beleive that this is the way a parent should educate their children no matter the subject. If your daughter can come to you with questions about sex, she can come to you about anything and she will. I am not saying that parents need to be, or even should be, their child's best friend, but the lines of communication need to be open. That is the best way to be involved in your child's life and help influence them to make better choices.

ResearchMonkey

IF an educational system was capable of teaching the basic of plumbing, parts and pieces, functions, per basic functional design... the raw biology ....and keep the 'politcs' and 'message' and 'acceptance' and 'morals' out, I could see it being acceptable.

Bottom line is, again ....my children, my responsibility, my job.

(....and boy howdy, is the school ever aware WE send OUR kids to school prepared.)

Professur

Thank you. I agree. A parent isn't there to be their best friend. Hell, kids don't need adult friends. They need role models. They need guides and guardians. The need to recognize that their parents were there, in the same position, long before.

And you know what goes a long way in promoting that? Parents showing respect to their own parents.

ResearchMonkey

gee, that is sort of like saying I teach my kids not to START fires, so I will not show them the proper escape routes in case they knock over a candle.

No No no silly.... MY kids know how to start fires using quite unconventioanl methods included. as with any responsibilty they are taught to be responsible and the consiquences of actions morally and ethically, not the attutude that insurance will pay to rebuild the house.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Some parents don't teach it, what about the old adage, it takes a village to raise a child. You should teach you kids about sex, but if you don't it's either the school, or your kids friends.

PrincessLissa

IF an educational system was capable of teaching the basic of plumbing, parts and pieces, functions, per basic functional design... the raw biology ....and keep the 'politcs' and 'message' and 'acceptance' and 'morals' out, I could see it being acceptable.

Bottom line is, again ....my children, my responsibility, my job.

(....and boy howdy, is the school ever aware WE send OUR kids to school prepared.)

Raw basics include STD's and how you get them. It is raw truth that if you choose to have sex you can get pregnant or contract an STD. I do not know everything there is to know about STD's and my memory of all the exact plumbing is a little fuzzy even after many fertility consultations. So I don't mind if the school gives them that information. But like you said, it is very important that my child knows what she is going into and is prepared by me and her father.

I agree 100% that parents should not rely on the school for all their teachings. Kids need to be prepared and I do my best to make sure that my child is. We stress the abstinence issue because I know that the school doesn't.

ResearchMonkey

aslo, no they do not run run from a candle falling.

First, they don't let the candle be in situation where it will fall, (99.9% reduction)
2nd do not fire unattended other than in the sreeened fireplace, ('specially considering we have cats)
3rd - do not run from a fire the size orange, put it out.
4th, the years of of preparedness and teachings leading up to the moment is what determines the actions reactions. To panic is never good, save that for after the fact.

I can't tell you the last time we had a soda spilled on the couch or carpet... we limit that type 'risky behavior' to the kitchen, where its acceptable

markjs

Banned
Kids ought to be taught all the facts. That should include that abstinence is the best protection. I personally believe firmly in encouraging abstinence, and making a good case for it. Failing that though I want the kids to know all their options, so they make choices, while perhaps not optimal, at least better ones than they might make with no education.

ResearchMonkey

Sex education is simply a good thing.

biologically speaking...

So I guess I have to ask why is this thread different from the pill thread that began yesterday?