Smoking bans... your thoughts.

tonksy

i'll be glad when they ban smoking in restaurants in georgia...it'll negate the fact that the non-smoking section is the good section to get and i won't have to clean out nasty ashtrays.

Winky

Actually...
I hold the same position on legal smoking bans, as I do on abortion.

The government has no more right to interfere with a womyn's right to murder her unborn child by having her uterus invasively scraped out, than they do to impose a smoking ban on private businesses. Just so normal people can breathe air instead of smoke! Dang them normal people, always screwing things up for the rest of us heathens.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
tonksy said:
i'll be glad when they ban smoking in restaurants in georgia...it'll negate the fact that the non-smoking section is the good section to get and i won't have to clean out nasty ashtrays.

I worked in a burger joint that served booze and allowed smoking when I was in highschool...the day that the city said all establishments had to be exclusively 19+ OR non-smoking was SUCH a happy day! Since it was a burger joint it went smoke free! No more ashtrays! No more burning eyes! No more stinking of cigarette when I got off work!

Then I turned 19...and I started going to bars...but not as often as I would have liked because smoke bothers my eyes...after about an hour in a bar my eyeballs would feel like they were on fire and from that point on I'd have to do about 15min inside and 5min outside...not fun...then they passed the "only smoking from the door to the far end of the bar rule...I never got that one...it was retarded...then they passed the no smoking in public places except those which have an exclusive smoking room that is ventilated up to code (a very strict code which requires VERY state of the are ventilation and filtration I hear) and I was even happier than I was all those years ago in the burger joint :D

So, in short, I LOVE THE BANS!

Mare

I think it SUCKS not being able to smoke in a resturant....But, thats my opinion.... :alienhuh:

Spirit

Kissy Goddess
Inkara1 said:
$50 says you wouldn't try that. :D
lol... gimme 50 and I'll gladly comply :)

Gonz - I followed the link you provided - and my only response to that is: I absolutely do not believe everything I read. If I did research on any controversial topic - I could find articles for and against anything. I could find people who make bullshit look like roses.

I am the most accepting person you could possibly meet. I don't care what people do to themselves willingly as long as it doesn't directly affect me and my choice NOT to do it.

I just think it is not polite to subject those who make the choice not to inhale 40 deadly chemicals in to thier lungs, to thier smoking habit.

Winky

Hear hear!

Eating is primarily an olfactory experience.

How in the fuck could anyone with the least bit of intelligence
think that they have the right to befoul the air
of other paying customers during a restaurant visit?

If yer tushy is bare as a babies bottom during this procedure
I'll up the ante to 65.00 bucks lol

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Banning smoking, in a closed building, is overstepping boundries but it makes at least some sense. Banning smoking outside is idiotic & intrusive. If you don't like the way I smell, be it smoke, perfume or BO, step away.

If it were truly harmful, it'd be illegal.

Winky

Too Tru

Here in AZ if you ride a motorcycle and are under the age of 18 you must wear a helmet.
18 and older it is OK to ride without a helmet
and smash your inoperative brains out.

We still can drive our cars and talk on a cel phone but we have to have the State tell us to wear our fricken seat belts.

Of course because of the large Indian Reservation population the law to ban putting yer kids in the bed of yer pickup truck failed to pass!

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I never fell out of a moving pickup bed more than once or thrice & didn't hit my head more than a dozen or so times.

Winky

Well when I woke up from back surgery at age 14
the guy in the bed next to me had fallen out of the back of pickup truck,
while on his way to California Jam II.

Besides yards of skin having been torn off and miscellaneous broken bones,
his head was held in place by a bracket screwed into his head because his neck was broken.

The bastard was going cold turkey off of drugs and would say the most annoying things:

"Why am I in the kitchen"
"Where are my pants, I'm going to need my wallet when we get there to buy hamburgers"

and various other bullshit.

If I hadn't been paralyzed from the waist down
I'da gone over there and finished breakin' his neck!

freako104

it doesnt affect me anymore but I dont see the major point. there are smoking sections and such in clubs here(except the 9:30 which is a smoking section itself).

Winky

How old was BoP in 74?
No wait that would make her
a negative four years old then.
Mebbe it was her predecessor in
the pants stealing game?

Inkara1

I figure if she can steal pants, across an internet connection, from someone 10,000 miles away... then stealing someone's pants four years before she was born should be no sweat.

Spirit

Kissy Goddess
Gonz said:
Banning smoking, in a closed building, is overstepping boundries but it makes at least some sense..
Yes.
Banning smoking outside is idiotic & intrusive.
Agree.
If you don't like the way I smell, be it smoke, perfume or BO, step away..
Agree. 'Cept it's YOU!! I couldn't step away... :winkkiss:

If it were truly harmful, it'd be illegal.
I disagree. Just go to any weightloss section of a drug store or health food store and you'll see lots of product that has been proven to be harmful but has the FDA stamp of approval.

chcr

Too cute for words
1. Smoking is truly and obviously harmful to the smoker. The second hand smoke evidence is evidently subject to some debate.
2. I can only think of one theng to say re banning smoking outside or in a privately owned establishment that prefers to allow it. Remember when this used to be America????

Mare

chcr said:
I can only think of one theng to say re banning smoking outside or in a privately owned establishment that prefers to allow it. Remember when this used to be America????

AMEN!

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Spirit said:
Ok - now I just can't understand how any smoker can think it's ok to subject those who don't smoke to thier smoke *scratches head*.

For the same reason millions of people who scream into cell phones think it is OK to disrupt my meal with their instructions to the babysitter. I don't use cell phones by choice. I think they cause brain cancer. I don't want to be exposed, and I damn sure don't care to be forced into overhearing your (phone owner) stupid ass conversations.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
tonksy said:

But in any restaurant I ever worked in, particularly ones who sold booze, the smokers tip better.