Smoking bans... your thoughts.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Well what a shocker. The smokers don't like the bans, the non's love them. Go figure.

I really do miss the notion, and practice, of tolerence.

Any restaurant I have ever been in that has separate sections for smokers has it arranged so that the others won't have to walk through (we do) to enter, exit, or get to a rest room. If you need to do anything besides these three activities that draw you away from your table, you shouldn't be in a restaurant in the first place.

Sitting in the non section, I have never smelled any smoke from the other section. If you have, then request a different table. They will oblige. They might call you names and giggle at you, but if you are that damn sensitive you're probably used to being giggled at and called names, so it ain't no skin of your nose now is it?

Waitresses, if you truly dislike smoking that badly, or cleaning an ashtray instead of a plate a complete stranger has slobbered all over (not to mention the sliver), then maybe that isn't the industry for you. My own most dreaded task when I worked restaurants was bussing tables; the very thought of wiping up where some of these slobs have eaten made me want to vomit. So I stopped working there. Amazing how quick the problem cleared itself up. And it ain't like $2.15 or whatever the minimum wage for servers is now is tough to beat in the open market.

C'mon, people...get a grip. As someone said, let's hear how loud you squall when it's you that gets targeted. Maybe someday your precious little cell phone you got eight years ago yet somehow find it impossible to survive without despite the fact that you did so quite nicely for thirty years or more will be banned. Then I'll be the one doing cartwheels while you sit on your ass and bitch and moan about how unfair it is. Self righteousness is hardly the same principle as tolerence.

Mare

SouthernN'Proud said:
But in any restaurant I ever worked in, particularly ones who sold booze, the smokers tip better.

And especailly if you waitressed/served in your life before....you know how much that tip means...yankee or not---I TIP WELL!!!!!!! And I smoke, but never known a smoker to tip well because they smoke....NOW, a drinker does tip well....Gee, wonder why!?!? :D

rrfield

Bloomington, Indiana. America's first Smoke Free city. Personally, I love it, but I'm a non smoker. I can understand the ban in places that admit people under 18, but to extend this ban to bars, as Bloomington has done, is stupid.

Spirit

Kissy Goddess
SouthernN'Proud said:
I really do miss the notion, and practice, of tolerence.
I don't tolerate someone else's smoke and I shouldn't be asked to. Is this what you mean by being tolerant?

Sitting in the non section, I have never smelled any smoke from the other section.
OH I sure have. Even when I sit at the farthest corner from smoking. I can smell when someone in the car in front of me has people smoking in it. But - it's thier car - thier space - so smoke away (that's a non-issue for me).

C'mon, people...get a grip. As someone said, let's hear how loud you squall when it's you that gets targeted. Maybe someday your precious little cell phone you got eight years ago yet somehow find it impossible to survive without despite the fact that you did so quite nicely for thirty years or more will be banned. Then I'll be the one doing cartwheels while you sit on your ass and bitch and moan about how unfair it is. Self righteousness is hardly the same principle as tolerence.

If they ban phones - I would only be upset because it's a direct line to my boy who has been diagnosed with something that I prefer to be able to be easy to contact should something happen. Otherwise, I RARELY use it if at all. I buy a $10 pay as you go that never gets used up in the 60 days I have to use it up.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Spirit said:
I can smell when someone in the car in front of me has people smoking in it. But - it's thier car - thier space - so smoke away (that's a non-issue for me).

And everybody who believes this, I have a bridge I would like to sell you.

And don't try to tell me that's the only time you use that cell phone either. I've heard it a million times. Then see the same people walking through a video store consulting the homefolk about which movie to get. Don't even try it, nobody believes you.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
SouthernN'Proud said:
And don't try to tell me that's the only time you use that cell phone either. I've heard it a million times. Then see the same people walking through a video store consulting the homefolk about which movie to get. Don't even try it, nobody believes you.

The cell phone is harmless to people surrounding you, however it isn't safe for you.

Luis G

Staff member
SouthernN'Proud said:
Maybe. Still, why should I have my peace and quiet interrupted by some jackass who can't stop yelling through one?

That's called freedom of speech ;)

Spirit

Kissy Goddess
SouthernN'Proud said:
And everybody who believes this, I have a bridge I would like to sell you.
*sigh* :rolleyes:
And don't try to tell me that's the only time you use that cell phone either.
I didn't, I said I RARELY use it...
Don't even try it, nobody believes you.
I have no reason to lie or fabricate the truth as I know it. However, those who chose not to believe - go right ahead. Seriously? I don't care if you think I am a liar. Good thing I am comfortable with what I know.

nobody believes you.
Just who is *nobody* - because I am quite certain you must know by now not to speak for anyone on this board.

I am also quite certain there is a non-smoker on this board who has caught a whiff of smoke from a car in front of them. I KNOW I can't be the only one - my brother has experienced it as well.

Luis G

Staff member
Spirit said:
I am also quite certain there is a non-smoker on this board who has caught a whiff of smoke from a car in front of them. I KNOW I can't be the only one - my brother has experienced it as well.

I can smell the pestilence 10m away.

Luis G

Staff member
SouthernN'Proud said:

Do you smoke? That would explain why you can't believe it, because smokers have an almost null sense of smell.

Starya

I sometimes have to close my window, when one of my smoking neighbours have theirs open. I also pick it up through the ventilation system.

One time, someone had smoked while walking through the corridors of the building shortly before I came in. I bloody well thought I was gonna suffocate before I reached my apartment. I'm not allergic, but often I'm just unable to draw my breath when exposed to smoke, and need to get away from there asap.

HomeLAN

Sorry, SnP, but they're right about the range. I quit smoking 2 years back, and I can easilty smell it from the car in front of me - sometimes through my car's A/C vents. It isn't my remnants, either, the car's new.

OTOH, I fully agree with you on the bans. I have no problem with segregating smokers, but banning it entirely in environments like bars is too damn far.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Y'all have me to convince that you can sit in a car and smell a smoker in a car in front of you.

I don't smoke dope, but if somebody in another car is I don't claim to smell it, and I know dope smells stronger than tobacco.

You're just gonna hafta convince me the human nose is that sensitive.

PrincessLissa

In Denver the bans make a lot of sense. If the establishment makes %80 (I think) of it's money from the bar, they are allowed to have a smoking area, or smoking everywhere if it is a dance club. Smoking is still allowed in your own home and outside in marked areas. In Boulder (stupid hippies) you can't even smoke on your own front or back porch. That to me is silly. You are on your own property so if someone wants to complain about the second hand smoke you are emitting, than tell them to get the fuck off your property.

I no longer smoke and the smell of it makes me ill, but if I go to a bar, then I haev to face the fact. There WILL be smoke. If I don't want to smell, breath or smell like smoke, then I need I need to find a non smoking bar and go there instead. They do exsist, all over the place.

Denver is struggling to keep the night life and economy alive as the mountain towns really take most of the tourist business, but banning smoking in all the public places would take such a chunk out of it.