So, is there any word...

The 3 rules for cheap flights from Canada to the US:

It all depends on where you are coming from and when.

1 - As a general rule, the earlier you book, the cheaper the flight.
2 - International flights are more expensive than US flights, so it's cheaper to take a drive or a bus across the border and take a flight from there.
3 - And thirdly, The larger the airports you are flying to and from, the cheaper the flight. For example, it's cheaper to fly from Kansas City (3 hours from Wichita) airport than Wichita.

We always used expedia. Never found any better, cheaper or more reliable site.

Bish had found a price of $1200 CAD when he was looking for tickets to Wichita. After I gave him the tips, the price came down to $300 to $400 :D

If anyone needs cheap tickets, let me or Mir know and we will see what we can find you :D

Acutally, flying out of smaller airports is sometimes cheaper. Flying out of Hamilton is cheaper to most places than out of Toronto...unfortunately they had nothing into Kansas...

Nixy said:
Acutally, flying out of smaller airports is sometimes cheaper. Flying out of Hamilton is cheaper to most places than out of Toronto...unfortunately they had nothing into Kansas...

For long-distance and international flights, the larger the airports the cheaper the price. It's all about the volume. It'll cost you more to make an international flight out of a smaller airport, because their customs overhead is relatively higher per volume. Which is why most smaller airports don't even offer international flights. Even without an international flight, as general rule for US airports, bigger airports have lower prices due to volume and being hubs for the airlines. You are right though, I haven't seen the same kind of difference for Canadian ones, probably because there are far fewer choices and way less volume anyway :)

Nixy said:

that's cause your using Canadian munny

It's cause Pearson charges INSANE landing fees so airlines need to charge more for flights in and out of there to make up for it...they just hiked them again...it was a big thing a few weeks ago.

Google maps is quoting me around 1,622 miles by highway. But Google tells me to take I-40 east to Oklahoma City and then hit I-35 north. Would it be faster to get off at Tucumcari, NM and come in over highway 54/400, coming in through Kingman?

I'd kinda prefer to drive. There's some country in there I've not seen since I was a kid. OTOH, it's about 16 hours in a car - one way. Whee.

Pay? For flights? Must be some new concept, as I can fly vrtually anywhere in the world for free. The meals cost $3.50, though, and the ride can be bumpy...

Gato_Solo said:
Pay? For flights? Must be some new concept, as I can fly vrtually anywhere in the world for free. The meals cost $3.50, though, and the ride can be bumpy...

My uncle flew to NFLD for free...is it one of the planes with the benches down the side?

HomeLAN said:
I'd kinda prefer to drive. There's some country in there I've not seen since I was a kid. OTOH, it's about 16 hours in a car - one way. Whee.
yep, that's what I got...going on the big roads.
I'd probably have to layover in Nashville of there abouts.

Unless I found a carpool.

Inkara1 said:
Google maps is quoting me around 1,622 miles by highway. But Google tells me to take I-40 east to Oklahoma City and then hit I-35 north. Would it be faster to get off at Tucumcari, NM and come in over highway 54/400, coming in through Kingman?

Are you looking for interstate driving, or are you willing to fight trucks? When you pick up 54 at Tucumcari, its a 2-lane blacktop all the way to Kingman. Thats where it turns into 4-lane divided (thats only about 45 mins west of here).

This is 54 near Liberal, KS.
normal_P7240045.jpg

As far as time, it's probably a wash. The interstate route through OKC is probably 70-75 all the way. 54 is 60ish, but a bit more scenic (or boring, depending on taste ;)).

Oh, and 54 takes you through Liberal and Dodge City. They both are homes to gigantic feedlots for the meat packing industry. They both smell of cowshit nearly 24/7/365. :D

Gato_Solo said:
You interested? McConnell AFB is on the other side of town....;) :D

At any rate, it looks like there is definately some interest for holding the BBQ on the yellow brick road. Cam and I will do some research (bunkings, food, dates, etc) and see if we can pull this off. :beerbang:

Mirlyn said:
At any rate, it looks like there is definately some interest for holding the BBQ on the yellow brick road. Cam and I will do some research (bunkings, food, dates, etc) and see if we can pull this off. :beerbang:

We can :) If we can pull off me moving to Kansas with 2 kids and 3 cats, we can pull off an international BBQ. Just need a date and a body count and we can go from there. :D

Mirlyn said:
Are you looking for interstate driving, or are you willing to fight trucks? When you pick up 54 at Tucumcari, its a 2-lane blacktop all the way to Kingman. Thats where it turns into 4-lane divided (thats only about 45 mins west of here).

2 lane straight roads are really dangerous. There's an 80km flat straight road near the border with the US, you actually get passed by double trailers doing 190km/h, scary stuff :eek:

Camelyn said:
We can :) If we can pull off me moving to Kansas with 2 kids and 3 cats, we can pull off an international BBQ. Just need a date and a body count and we can go from there. :D
This is true....:D

Would mid- to late-June work? Then its not so hot and humid here and the party can spill out into the yard at anytime.

Back