so...the Olympics are on...

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Good. Professional players shouldn`t be in the Olympics. It`d sure level the playing field for the other countries.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Tell that to virtually every country in the world. They're always professionals. Anybody who commits virtually every hour of their life to anything is no longer an amateur.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Somewhere between kids loosing their entire childhood in search of a dream (one most likely held by a parent more than said kid) & professionalism. If I made the rules, nobody under 25 could participate. There's too much focus on something so minor to all but less than a handful.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Leslie said:
Good. Professional players shouldn`t be in the Olympics. It`d sure level the playing field for the other countries.

A lot of countries have NHL players on their teams...also a lot of countries have players that play in professional legaues in Europe...from what I've heard VERY few of the hockey players on any team don't get paid to play the game in some league...besides, in Nagano neither the Canadian or American men won medals in hockey.

K62

unclehobart said:
Canadian men just got smoked by the Swiss... no gold medal this year.

Did you watch the game? They hardly got smoked. There is a "luck" factor in this game, and today it was working AGAINST Canada. We had one goal that was in if you look at the replay, there were some bad calls against us. Canada out shot the swiss BAD! And, let's not forget the fact that the 2 goals scored against Canada were scored by a player born and raised in Canada. :p

Not to say that the Swiss played a bad game, they played a GREAT game.... But if these two teams were to meet again, it could easily go the other way.

And what do you mean by "no gold medal this year"? This game doesn't mean we can't win the gold still at all.

unclehobart

I call a 5 on 3 power play getting smoked... or at least begging to be smoked.

Yeah they defended it well... but the offense was weak. I call scoring no goals getting smoked... smoked like a ham. Its local vernacular for not scoring at all or getting miserably beat as an individual on a given play. Perhaps I should have said 'blanked' to compensate for an international audience.

unclehobart

K62 said:
And what do you mean by "no gold medal this year"? This game doesn't mean we can't win the gold still at all.

I thought it odd too as it is rather early in mens hockey. I was just quoting a minute by minute changing news headline covering the action. Apparently they realized their mistake and pulled it down within minutes and replaced the line with 'shuts out defending gold medalists' instead of the 'no gold this year'. Perhaps the reporter made a mental flub and meant to say 'Canada not GOLDen this year' ... or some other cutesy headline pun.

K62

unclehobart said:
I call a 5 on 3 power play getting smoked... or at least begging to be smoked.

Yeah they defended it well... but the offense was weak. I call scoring no goals getting smoked... smoked like a ham. Its local vernacular for not scoring at all or getting miserably beat as an individual on a given play. Perhaps I should have said 'blanked' to compensate for an international audience.

The Swiss goal tending was outstanding, with luck in their favour as the goal that was clearly behind the line when seen as a replay was disallowed. Did you see the puck sitting on the line of the Swiss? Luck! It's a big part of the game! I wouldn't say that the Canadians were outplayed badly though.

"Team Canada outshot the Swiss 24-1 in the third period."

Soooo how 'bout em yanks? Sure had their hands full... against Latvia! :p

unclehobart

24-1? Might as well have been 100-1 for all it matters. It's not horseshoes. You actually have to get it past the guy wearing the Micheal Meyers mask to be effective.

Wheres Gordie Howe when you need him? Gordie coulda won it all by himself with half his ego tied behind his back.