So...why do you hate Bill Gates and Microsoft?

MrBishop

You just jumping on the bandwagon or do you actually have a specific problem(s) with him, his company or his product?

I've noticed that many people who bitch and moan about Microsoft still use Windows and Office and wouldn't think about going to Linux or buying a Mac.

So...what gives?

tonksy

you know, i'm not one to bitch if something isn't perfect...for crying out loud...dudes smarter than i'll ever be. how can i bitch about microsoft, when i couldn't do it, you know?

constructive critisism, on the other hand......

Squiggy

ThunderDick
I don't hate him. The man is quietly charitable beyond expectation. He made the mouse trap that everyone wanted and he is entitled to his wealth. Even if he did steal most of it....:D

BeardofPants

MrBishop said:
I've noticed that many people who bitch and moan about Microsoft still use Windows and Office and wouldn't think about going to Linux or buying a Mac.

So...what gives?

I don't get it either. If it sucks so much, why don't you switch. Come to the dark side already.

I'm a mac user now, after many years of windows, and there's no way in frell, I could go back now. (only time I use windows is to do my assignments at uni, and that's more than enough! Stupid arbitrary OS.:mad: )

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
I have no problem with him. I think he did use some unethical business practices, but then name me a few businesses that haven't. He created the computer revolution that is here today, whether they admit it or not, Linux wouldn't be around at all if it wasn't for Billy boy.

unclehobart

I hate the guy because hes worth billions and then goes to Vegas to play 5$ lousy hands of blackjack... come on! ... at least lay down for 20 a pop.

tommyj27

Not really Banned
aside from their generally questionable business practices; candy-coated, inflexible software; windows me; and the fact that from a security/sysadmin point of view, windows is the bane of my existence?

well, aside from that and all the other excuses, i guess i have nothing against him/them. Yup, it's all unfounded animousity and a general desire to bring down the man. ;)

and no, i don't own a computer that runs windows.

Kawaii

tommyj27 said:
aside from their generally questionable business practices; candy-coated, inflexible software; windows me; and the fact that from a security/sysadmin point of view, windows is the bane of my existence?

well, aside from that and all the other excuses, i guess i have nothing against him/them. Yup, it's all unfounded animousity and a general desire to bring down the man. ;)

and no, i don't own a computer that runs windows.
Yeah, i'll second that. I'm making the switch to Linux as soon as i get a HDD to backup my data for the conversion away from NTFS.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
I don't like them because of their business practices and the cost of their products.

Oz

On a business level......I don't hate him at all, if his goal in life is to make as much money as possible......fair play to him :shrug: (even tho' playing fair doesn't seem to be on his agenda ;) )

On a personal level.......I can't stand the guy :blank: He's rich enough to use $100 dollar bills for bogroll and what does he do? Builds friggin' hospitals, sponsors colleges......gives oodles of cash away to charity! Friggin' disgusting :faptard:

Where are the hordes of illegitamate children? The scores of spurned lovers? The accidental overdoses on the finest cocaine? The stories of Mr Gates funding of terrorist activities? The carefully hidden gambling debts? ............... he hasn't even had the deceny to have borderline alcoholism :grumpy:

The rich have a duty in this world.......they have to make periodical fuck-ups, it reminds us plebs that money isn't everything! :(

Gods help me if I ever become super-rich.....

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Oz said:
He's rich enough to use $100 dollar bills for bogroll and what does he do? Builds friggin' hospitals, sponsors colleges......gives oodles of cash away to charity! Friggin' disgusting :faptard:
[/size]

:lol:

That isn't altruism, it's called tax deductions ;)

Mirlyn

While some of the things the software does by default is questionable, I consider Mr Gates to be job security for me. :)

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Luis G said:
:lol:

That isn't altruism, it's called tax deductions ;)

I doubt he needs them. His days of paychecks has gone by the wayside & he doesn't get dividends from his own stock. He's living off cash is my bet.

Hate him? Hell, I wanna be him.

Professur

Mirlyn said:
While some of the things the software does by default is questionable, I consider Mr Gates to be job security for me. :)

When W95 hit the market, I was a dedicated DOS man. Windows was a sad joke, and Mac was barely one step up from Atari. The only True Os was Unix, but that took a horse of a machine to run. Then I met another tech for lunch and we got to talking. I was deriding M$ as usual, when he pointed out one simple fact. "He'd never made sooo much money in so short a time" W95 was a Godsend for him, if a nightmare for his customers. Totally against my way of thinking, but then, my way of thinking doesn't get me many repeat customers, his does.

Mirlyn

Professur said:
When W95 hit the market, I was a dedicated DOS man. Windows was a sad joke, and Mac was barely one step up from Atari. The only True Os was Unix, but that took a horse of a machine to run. Then I met another tech for lunch and we got to talking. I was deriding M$ as usual, when he pointed out one simple fact. "He'd never made sooo much money in so short a time" W95 was a Godsend for him, if a nightmare for his customers. Totally against my way of thinking, but then, my way of thinking doesn't get me many repeat customers, his does.
I see it this way. Every month hundreds of computers are sold at my store alone, every single one of them running XP. Why? Many reasons, one of which being that Windows is what everyone is most familiar with (the old "Because I use it at work" reason). If a business is running Windows, its been my experience that the employees perfer to have the same or very similar system at home (for familiarity). As long as people are buying computers "equipped" (used loosely) with Windows, there will be a need for support, both on the domestic front and in business.

Another aspect is this: Many, many users are realizing the opportunity to switch from Microsoft is growing closer and closer within reach. As long as MS is dominating the market, there will be a desire in some to move away from the majority. This opens another area for support--conversion. ;)

MrBishop

Statistically speaking....over 95% of computers on this fine planet are PC's. Almost all of those work with Windows... use all the Linux that you want, but Windows will be around in 3020. Why?

Sure...the fucking thing crashes all the damn time. Sure, it's proprietary and forces software manufacturers to program 'their way'. but...it's EASIER than pretty much anything out there. Linux/Unix can come up with all the nice Icons and WYSIWYG look that it wants, and it'll still be decades behind and losing ground.

I've wanted a Mac for years now. With my design programs, I was told that the Mac was the way to go. You know what? I was wrong. Macs might be smoother with the software, but the companies that I'm applying for didn't feel like paying 5-10 times more for the same computer.

If you could buy a high-end Mac w/ OS X on it for 1400$...I'd buy one, but I can't afford the 3400$-4500$ for a new Mac.

"Sorry Charly...Hello XP"

Give Billy-boy another decade or so and MS will own Apple computers( He's already bailing his old pal out of a mess). Windows will 'borrow' the code from OS XII and Windows will finally be...a viable piece of OS.

NOW...with all this in mind.

"Bill...just between you and me...you can cut the code for Windows in half. Delay the next release of the OS. Hire a butt-load of programmers. Hunt and kill those bugs with prejudice. Release Win CP (Clean program) in 2010 and then, tomorrow...we rule the world!"

rrfield

Where would the computing world be today without Bill Gates/Microsoft? Id give 100:1 odds that half of us would be unemployed or doing something very different.

rrfield