The historical Jesus didn't create a new religion!

BeardofPants

*handonhip You the asswipe we have to blame for organised [strikethrough]crime[/strikethrough] ... er, I mean religion?
*kicks Paul down the stairs

jimpeel

Peter Paul is also the manufacturer of Mounds and Almond Joy candy bars.

Paul, actually.

Saint Peter is generally considered to be the first pope because Christ designated him as his most important desciple.

Paul had the role of an apostle and was specifically appointed to preach the gospel to the 'heathen' Gentiles (i.e. non-Jews). see Galatians 2 v 1-10.

He also corrected Peter (see Galatians 2 v 11-19) for his insincerity and hypocrisy in an incident at Antioch.

Another role Paul had was the preservation of the proper gospel teaching of grace as opposed to the works-based system developing in the Galatian church. (see Galatians 1 v 8-9) This would have been especially important to him personally, having been converted from being a zealous pharisee and a persecutor of christians, through his encounter with Christ on the Damascus road.

As a preacher of the gospel, Paul was an example for other preachers in his methodology, as well as in his attitude of relying on God to produce results. When preaching to Jews he used the Old Testament which they knew well. When preaching to Greeks he demonstrated his familiarity with current Greek philosophies such as the Stoics and Epicureans, illustrated in his message to them on Mars hill at Athens. (see Acts 17v19-33). Noticeably to those who didn't know the Bible he used God's witness in creation as a starting point. But in both cases he ended with the equally historical resurrection of Christ as central to his message.

As a writer he produced around a third of the New Testament and set forth much systematic Christian doctrine as well as approaches to practical problems which arose periodically in the various churches he founded. In some of this he could be regarded also as the first Christian philosopher as he sought to bring 'into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.' (2 Corinthians 10 v 5).

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Oh I get it.

He's an evangelical jew

Stop it!

I remember saying that they exist and being told that I was incorrect...by you, in fact. I don't mind him/her being here, but I do mind the spammery. I will refrain from negative karma upon his name unless he persists, but this is the only warning he will get.

p_v said:
hell it breaks the 10 commandments, now go take your golden calf elsewhere.

You, too. Stop baiting the newbie.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
I remember saying that they exist and being told that I was incorrect...by you, in fact.

It is still a non-evengelical religion. This is the exception to the rule I guess

You, too. Stop baiting the newbie.

I can't help it, it's religion.

I hate religion.

(my cousin is a rabbi in this particular branch of judism, family reunions are so much fun now)

chcr

Too cute for words
Jim, who "creates" a religion? The first titular head or the first person who brings it to the masses? In point of fact though, christianity was "created" by Constantine and the Council of Nicea in the fourth century. Christianity as you probably understand it was "created" by Martin Luther in the fifteenth century although it's been redefined hundreds of times (or more) since.

Another point to consider is that many theologians agree that Jesus would have been horrified by the idea of Paul bringing his message to the gentiles. He intended it for the jews.

Since the whole Jesus business is demonstrably a myth though, I wouldn't be too concerned. ;)

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
It is still a non-evengelical religion. This is the exception to the rule I guess

:grinno: Pull your head out of the sand. How do you think caucasians became Jewish in the first place? Why do you think the number of Jewish people grows faster than their rate of procreation? People can, and do, convert to Judaism.

p_v said:
I can't help it, it's religion.

I hate religion.

(my cousin is a rabbi in this particular branch of judism, family reunions are so much fun now)

I can't help it. I'm a bigot. I hate (fill in the blank). Why...even my (random family member) is in this particular group.

Sound familiar?

spike

:grinno: Pull your head out of the sand. How do you think caucasians became Jewish in the first place? Why do you think the number of Jewish people grows faster than their rate of procreation? People can, and do, convert to Judaism.

The idea that people decide to convert to Judaism does not mean that it is an evangelical religion.

Not that your claims aren't a bit simplistic and dodgy in the first place.

"The number of American Jewish households affiliating with a synagogue has increased by 15 percent in the past decade, even as the "core" Jewish population is shrinking and the number of intermarried families has grown.

It appears that the rising affiliation rates largely are benefitting the Reform movement, which now claims 41 percent of all affiliated households, up from 35 percent in 1990."

http://www.ujc.org/page.aspx?id=29185

"A new Canadian census that appears to show a significant decline in the number of Jews in Canada has experts divided over the significance of the figures."

http://www.somethingjewish.co.uk/articles/2696_canadian_jewish_decl.htm

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Pull your head out of the sand. How do you think caucasians became Jewish in the first place? Why do you think the number of Jewish people grows faster than their rate of procreation? People can, and do, convert to Judaism.

The idea that people decide to convert to Judaism does not mean that it is an evangelical religion.

see.

I can't help it. I'm a bigot. I hate (fill in the blank). Why...even my (random family member) is in this particular group.

Sound familiar?

not really.

I hate religion, plain and simple, I think organized religion is right up there with Nazis as evil organizations go.

so :finger: