The merciful Lord Barac

It was a nice speech

I was incedibly disappointed. All this talk about the Great Orator & all we get was Jimmy Carter with a hard-on? It was full of cliches & bashing with no excitement or charm. A memorable night with a forgettable scrpit.

Really...I thought that you guys were a democracy. Silly me. Of the people, for the people. President is a servant of the people. Ring any bells?

Not so. The Founders rejected democracy as viable form of government with Ben Franklin speaking of it as "Two wolves and a sheep voting on what is for dinner". Democracy has best been described as "mob rule".

Speaking of democracy...didja know that the term is Greek in origin?

So is "homosexual".

You know...like those columns.. Greece - origin of democracy - democratic party - democratic country - Grecian columns

So?

It's not that big of a stretch is it?

Quite a bit moire than you apparently would think.

Not so. The Founders rejected democracy as viable form of government with Ben Franklin speaking of it as "Two wolves and a sheep voting on what is for dinner". Democracy has best been described as "mob rule".

Certainly something you want to spread by force.

jim FYI homo latin in origin.

back to school beyotch!

Wrong. You apparently didn't go to school at all.

The "homo" in the word "homosexual" is from the Greek meaning "same".

"The "homo" from the Latin means "man".

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
homo-
a combining form appearing in loanwords from Greek, where it meant “same” (homology); on this model, used in the formation of compound words (homomorphic).

Ho·mo Audio Help /ˈhoʊmoʊ/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[hoh-moh] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. (italics) the genus of bipedal primates that includes modern humans and several extinct forms, distinguished by their large brains and a dependence upon tools. Compare archaic Homo.
2. Informal. (sometimes lowercase) a. a member of the genus Homo.
b. the species Homo sapiens or one of its members.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: 1590–1600; < L homō man; OL hemō the earthly one (see humus); akin to L hūmānus human; c. OE guma, OIr duine, Welsh dyn man, Lith žmónės men]
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.

Online Etymology Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This
homosexual (adj.)

1892, in C.G. Chaddock's translation of Krafft-Ebing's "Psychopathia Sexualis," from homo-, comb. form of Gk. homos "same" (see same) + Latin-based sexual (see sex).
" 'Homosexual' is a barbarously hybrid word, and I claim no responsibility for it." [H. Havelock Ellis, "Studies in Psychology," 1897]
The noun is first recorded 1912 in Eng., 1907 in French. In technical use, either male or female; but in non-technical use almost always male. Slang shortened form homo first attested 1929. The alternative homophile (1960) was coined in ref. to the homosexual regarded as a person of a particular social group, rather than a sexual abnormality. Homo-erotic first recorded 1916; homophobia is from 1969.

Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2001 Douglas Harper

excuse me jim, i meant "homosexual" not just "homo." or maybe i didn't. because it's really fun to watch you scramble to look up one word and provide a context-free definition.

homo is borrowed from greek. in greek it's actually borrowed, too, and if you want to start getting really anal, which i'm sure you do, i'm sure you can trace the root of the word back to some kinda proto indo european thing. i'd bet my leftie on it.

the full "homosexual" is almost certainly an invention of the modern era and uses "homo" because of a history of the use of that word in latin as applied to stuff sciencey such as "homo erectus," which i suppose may interest you for personal reasons.

you're technically correct in a very narrow, petty way. but not at all on the ball in the bigger picture. seems like a pattern, huh?

Still, we have to pay homage to homo habilis.

homo_habilis_sapiens.jpg

i'm more into australopithecus robustus myself.

hey let's see if this helps the banner ads...

homo gay dating love special match kiss huggy bear sweet gay gay gay love donkey pleasure russian mafia dong licky phallus tripe man love bears twinks rice queen ellen degeneres hot butt anal pipe klam soda kock

homo gay dating love special match kiss huggy bear sweet gay gay gay love donkey pleasure russian mafia dong licky phallus tripe man love bears twinks rice queen ellen degeneres hot butt anal pipe klam soda kock

You shouldn't talk about spike like that, it's not nice :trout:

"Lord, I apologize for that right there, and please be with the starvin' pygmies down there in New Guinea, A-men," [/cable guy]

excuse me jim, i meant "homosexual" not just "homo." or maybe i didn't. because it's really fun to watch you scramble to look up one word and provide a context-free definition.

homo is borrowed from greek. in greek it's actually borrowed, too, and if you want to start getting really anal, which i'm sure you do, i'm sure you can trace the root of the word back to some kinda proto indo european thing. i'd bet my leftie on it.

the full "homosexual" is almost certainly an invention of the modern era and uses "homo" because of a history of the use of that word in latin as applied to stuff sciencey such as "homo erectus," which i suppose may interest you for personal reasons.

you're technically correct in a very narrow, petty way. but not at all on the ball in the bigger picture. seems like a pattern, huh?

Hey, you brought this up, not me.

You misstated the origin, not me.

You were the one who suggested that anyone who did not know such simple liguistics should return to school. You should get your mom to sytart packing your bags.

"homo-" is the prefix of the root "sexual". That prefix is of Greek origin, not Latin as you stated. You were wrong and couldn't accept it. That says far more about you than it ever could of me.

I showed you to be wrong and you do a Spike on me. Is it impossible for you to simply admit that you were wrong? Instead you start weaseling around with words like "homo erectus" which, by the way, IS of Latin origin -- homo meaning "man" -- literally "erect man". Standing erect for your edification.

And that part about "context free"? You need to remember that there are others watching these exchanges who are not registered and they are laughing at your weaseling.

Currently Active Users 9 (4 members & 5 guests) jimpeel, 2minkey, Cerise, mcostello

I showed you to be wrong and you do a Spike on me.

Sorry Jimbo, a "spike" would be making a clear point with evidence...which minkey does do often.

But I think you were looking for the term "Peel" which mean runing away when proven wrong or just lashing out with insults instead of substance.

For example when proven wrong about Palin being under investigation Jimbo just "Peeled" right out of that thread.

Or the other usage: He had nothing left of substance to argue his point so he just "peeled off" some insults instead.

Back