The physics of winter

MrBishop

Take an annual snowfall that would give a heart-attack to anyone living below the Canadian border, add 40-70 winds (20-40mph) and a wide front yard. Sprinkle on living close to a school with an enormous parking area and nothing to block the wind. What do you get?

Blowing snow accumulation!!!!

AlphaTroll said:
Is that your place?

What's visible is...if you look at the front door and notice the height of the snow there, it'll give you an idea of snowfall.

pst...the door is actually about 5 feet above ground-level :)

:eek: Dang! How do you get in / out of there? Your government actually expect you to work & be productive in THAT?!?!

BeardofPants said:
So... do you get snow days off school/work like those wimpy Americans? :devious:

work, never (except the ice storm, and ther was a once in a life time thing)

school, rarely

the canadians whooped us? :confused:

Damn. That much snow is one reason I'll not move up north. It's fun for some, but not for me.

A.B.Normal said:
War of 1812 ,before your time,ask Squiggy about it though {haven't seen him online ,bet I do now :lol2: }

:lol: that makes it sound like Squigg's was IN that war!

*hey, I know more about yur history than you Rose? ;)*

*lol* It didn't sound nasty. I just can't blame anything for my lack of knowledge 'cept myself. I could tell you I went to a small crappy school of about 450, students and teachers included (grades K-12). Had about 21 kids in my class. We didn't have the highest standards at ol' Blair High.

Perhaps I can tell you I didn't take history classes in college. But I did. I think. One maybe.

I just suck at history in general.

And it isn't surprising, though sad it is, that others know more about American history than (some/most) Americans do.

War of 1812? Beats the hell outta me.

MrBishop said:
Take an annual snowfall that would give a heart-attack to anyone living below the Canadian border, add 40-70 winds (20-40mph) and a wide front yard.
I'm sorry to burst your bubble Bish but here in Minnesota that isn't much special and I can recall only missing a handful of school days in my whole school experience! In fact the school I went to wouldn't close or even delay until our governer at the time closed the city down due to the extreme windchill and snowfall! I do agree though it can suck at times those damn snow drifts :D I remember a winter where it snowed heavily in the early evening the wind picked up overnight and we awoke to being unable to open any doors in the front of the house for fear of the snow avalanching in.... It was about 5 feet high inside the nook of our front door!

Makes sense; Minnesota is at the same latitude (give or take) as lower Ontario and Quebec, and the snow up there is frequent enough for the people to be ready for it. When it snows in California (other than in the upper elevations of the Sierra Nevada mountains), everything grinds to a halt because it's so rare.

Last night I made the mistake of parking on Sherbrooke street, one of the main streets in Montreal, instead of on the side street. Then it snowed. Then they actually (!) plowed both the street and the sidewalk. This morning, with 6 or so inches of snow on top, and all the plowing, I walked right by my car twice...

I dug the back door free with my hands to get the kids in. Cleared snow in order to be able to close the door again. Dug the front door free to get window scraper/broom. Cleared off trunk to get out shovel, Spent 20 minutes shoveling snow that was window high to get my car out...all told, 30min....

I was pooped before the day even started. I almost went back upstairs to get the camera for a pic.

Back