The Real Brains Behind the Leader of the Free World

Everybody flubs a line or puts a foot in it on occasion. :shrug:

Hell, remember this one?

~1984

That was not a flubbed line. That was a joke that Reagan said when they were doing a mic test before a speech. It was recorded and was used against him to "prove" he was "unstable" and shouldn't be allowed near the red button.

yeah that's great jim. it's still your lousy opinion.

god forbid if somebody mistakes auschwitz for buchenwald. golly, and i was hoping it was treblinka or dachau all along.

Ah, so it was just my lousy opinion that he said his daughters shouldn't be punished with a baby.

It was just my lousy opinion that he said that our soldiers' lives were wasted.

It was just my lousy opinion that he misstated his Muslim faith.

Surely there are no documented sources out there showing him speaking in his own words and his own voice saying any of the above.

No, wait, all of the above are available in video and in print. I never knew that my lousy opinions were taken so seriously that people would make fake videos and newspaper stories in support of my lousy opinions.

I must be a very important person if they are willing to do that on my behalf.

Palin rips Obama for Special Olympics joke

“I was shocked to learn of the comment made by President Obama about Special Olympics,” Governor Palin said. “This was a degrading remark about our world’s most precious and unique people, coming from the most powerful position in the world.

“These athletes overcome more challenges, discrimination and adversity than most of us ever will. By the way, these athletes can outperform many of us and we should be proud of them. I hope President Obama’s comments do not reflect how he truly feels about the special needs community.”

080910palintrigvmed3pwi.jpg

Those goofy libruls. :shrug: They think they're sooooo funny.

Trig is the name and I am retarded

"I am not sure what this means about mommy since I am really retarded! I think its a compliment."

oh, the drama, sarah.

i guess the 'tard comment does hit a bit close to home. and i don't mean the kid.

That was not a flubbed line. That was a joke that Reagan said when they were doing a mic test before a speech. It was recorded and was used against him to "prove" he was "unstable" and shouldn't be allowed near the red button.
No..not a flubbed line, but I'm sure you'll agree that it was him 'putting his foot in it'

No..not a flubbed line, but I'm sure you'll agree that it was him 'putting his foot in it'

Yes; but it was a joke, willingly put, and was blown out of proportion by his enemies. The fact that it is still being used on posting boards attests to that.

At least Reagan could speak off the cuff. Obama can't make it without a teleprompter.

• May, 2008 he claimed that tornadoes in Kansas killed a whopping 10,000 people: “In case you missed it, this week, there was a tragedy in Kansas. Ten thousand people died — an entire town destroyed.” The actual death toll: 12.
  • In Oregon, he redrew the map of the United States: “Over the last 15 months, we’ve traveled to every corner of the United States. I’ve now been in 57 states? I think one left to go.”
  • In front of a roaring Sioux Falls, S.D., audience, Obama exulted: “Thank you, Sioux City. ... I said it wrong. I’ve been in Iowa for too long. I’m sorry.”
  • Explaining why he was trailing Hillary Clinton in Kentucky, Obama again botched basic geography: “Sen. Clinton, I think, is much better known, coming from a nearby state of Arkansas. So it’s not surprising that she would have an advantage in some of those states in the middle.” On what map is Arkansas closer to Kentucky than Illinois?
  • Obama has as much trouble with numbers as he has with maps. Last March, on the anniversary of the Bloody Sunday march in Selma, Ala., he claimed his parents united as a direct result of the civil rights movement: “There was something stirring across the country because of what happened in Selma, Ala., because some folks are willing to march across a bridge. So they got together and Barack Obama Jr. was born.”

Obama was born in 1961. The Selma march took place in 1965. His spokesman, Bill Burton, later explained that Obama was “speaking metaphorically about the civil-rights movement as a whole.”
  • In Cape Girardeau, Mo., Obama showed off his knowledge of the war in Afghanistan by homing in on a lack of translators: “We only have a certain number of them, and if they are all in Iraq, then it’s harder for us to use them in Afghanistan.” The real reason it’s “harder for us to use them” in Afghanistan: Iraqis speak Arabic or Kurdish. The Afghanis speak Pashto, Farsi, or other non-Arabic languages.
  • In Oregon, Obama pleaded ignorance of the decades-old, multibillion-dollar massive Hanford nuclear-waste cleanup: “Here’s something that you will rarely hear from a politician, and that is that I’m not familiar with the Hanford, uuuuhh, site, so I don’t know exactly what’s going on there. (Applause.) Now, having said that, I promise you I’ll learn about it by the time I leave here on the ride back to the airport.”

We can assume on that ride, a staffer reminded him that he’s voted on at least one defense-authorization bill that addressed the “costs, schedules, and technical issues” dealing with the nation’s most contaminated nuclear-waste site.
  • Last March, the Chicago Tribune reported this little-noticed nugget about a fake autobiographical detail in Obama’s Dreams from My Father: “Then, there’s the copy of Life magazine that Obama presents as his racial awakening at age 9. In it, he wrote, was an article and two accompanying photographs of an African-American man physically and mentally scarred by his efforts to lighten his skin. In fact, the Life article and the photographs don’t exist, say the magazine’s own historians.”
  • And in perhaps the most seriously troubling set of gaffes of them all, Obama told a Portland crowd that Iran doesn’t “pose a serious threat to us” — cluelessly arguing that “tiny countries” with small defense budgets can’t do us harm — and then promptly flip-flopped the next day, claiming, “I’ve made it clear for years that the threat from Iran is grave.”

And that's not just my lousy opinion, it's Michelle Malkin's also which is the source of the above.

Obama was laughing at all of the problems that Steve Croft was attempting to discuss in the March 22, 2009 "60 Minutes" Interview and that caused this exchange:

PRESIDENT OBAMA:

I just want to say that-- the only thing less popular than putting money into banks is putting money (LAUGHS) into the auto industry. So--

STEVE KROFT:

18 percent are in favor.

PRESIDENT OBAMA:

(LAUGHS) That's--

STEVE KROFT:

Seventy-six percent against.

PRESIDENT OBAMA:

It-- it-- it's not a high number.

STEVE KROFT:

You're sitting here. And you're-- you are laughing. You are laughing about some of these problems. Are people going to look at this and say, "I mean, he's sitting there just making jokes about (LAUGHTER) money--" How do you deal with-- I mean, wh-- explain -

PRESIDENT OBAMA:

Well--

STEVE KROFT:

--the mood and your laughter.

PRESIDENT OBAMA:

Yeah, I mean, there's got to be--

STEVE KROFT:

Are you punch drunk?

PRESIDENT OBAMA:

No, no. There's gotta be a little gallows humor to (LAUGHS) get you through the day. You know, sometimes my team-- talks about the fact that if-- if you had said to us a year ago that-- the least of my problems would be Iraq, which is still a pretty serious problem-- I don't think anybody would have believed it. But-- but we've got a lot on our plate. And-- a lot of difficult decisions that we're going to have to make.

The man is an empty suit and just plain dangerous.

At least Reagan could speak off the cuff. Obama can't make it without a teleprompter.

Oh sure, Reagan never said anything controversial off the cuff. :laugh:

This teleprompter thing is the latest pathetic attempt to whine about nothing by the cons. Rush or someone sent out a memo saying "everybody talk about teleprompters as if no president has ever used them now" and a bunch of cons fell in line. :rofl3:

And that's not just my lousy opinion, it's Michelle Malkin's also which is the source of the above.

You mean to say it's not your opinion at all. It's Michelle Malkin's and you are just parroting it.

Malkin is a joke.

Yes; but it was a joke, willingly put, and was blown out of proportion by his enemies. The fact that it is still being used on posting boards attests to that.

ZOMG the president was making a joke and someone blew it out of proportion!!!!11

I wonder where I've seen that happen before? :rofl3:

1,128 other people who see 0bama as the incompetent fraud that he is. :shrug:

very small sampling compared to the population of the states. I am sure that doesn't even come close to covering all the whackjobs out there.

though it is a good start.

You didn't quote your source on this. Was it little green footballs?

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/article/33139_Obama_Laughs_Too_Much_Kroft_Asks-_Are_You_Punch-Drunk

Is this the new whiny talking point that you've spread? Bitching about Obama having a friendly interview?

This is pathetic.

You're right, I did not source the transcript. Sorry for that.

I got it from the Huffington Post that ultra right-wing bastion of Conservative thought and liberal bashing. :rolleyes:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/03/22/obama-60-minutes-intervie_n_177854.html

SOURCE

032509_drivein2.JPG

320prompter.jpg

March 24: A video monitor is prepared to display
President Obama's opening remarks at a news
conference in the East Room of the White House. (AP)

Analysis: Giant Teleprompter Telegraphs Obama Caution
President takes no chances in his second prime-time news conference, reading a prepared statement from a massive TV screen, but it was no help during the question-and-answer session.

WASHINGTON -- What kind of politician brings a teleprompter to a news conference?

A careful one.

President Barack Obama took no chances in his second prime-time news conference, reading a prepared statement in which he took both sides of the AIG bonus brouhaha and asked an anxious nation for its patience.

"There are no quick fixes," he said, "and there are no silver bullets."

It's an interesting dichotomy: Obama came before the nation to sell one of the most expensive and politically risky agendas ever offered by a U.S. president, but his language was heavy with caution. A hard-willed plan given a soft sell.

Served up opportunities to lead with his heart, Obama was cerebral. Cool and calming in a time of white-hot public anger.

"You know, there was a lot of outrage and finger-pointing last week, and much of it is understandable," Obama said of the bonus issue in his opening remarks. "I'm as angry as anybody about those bonuses that went to some of the very same individuals who brought our financial system to its knees."

"Bankers and executives on Wall Street need to realize that enriching themselves on the taxpayers' dime is inexcusable, that the days of outsized rewards and reckless speculation that puts us all at risk have to be over," the president told reporters and the nation.

But he didn't look angry. Nor did he sound much like a pitchfork-wielding populist.

"At the same time, the rest of us can't afford to demonize every investor or entrepreneur who seeks to make a profit. That drive is what has always fueled our prosperity, and it is what will ultimately get these banks lending and our economy moving once more," he said.

It was a carefully modulated statement, and Obama -- relying on a familiar crutch -- read it off a flat-screen monitor perched at the back of the East Room.

The teleprompter was no help during the question-and-answer session (reporters don't signal their intentions), but Obama was no less careful during that give and take.

Asked why people should trust government with the regulatory authority to take over failing financial companies such as troubled insurer American International Group Inc., Obama passed on the chance to demonize Washington.

"Keep in mind, it is precisely because of the lack of this authority that the AIG situation has gotten worse," Obama said. He then gave a scholarly explanation of how the proposal would work.

Pressed again, Obama cited the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation's handling of the IndyMac Bank as an example of government properly using its authority.

The government did something right? That's news to most Americans.

Still, it's hard to criticize Obama's communication skills or tactics. Polls show that while the public has turned against Washington and Wall Street, the president's ratings remain steady.

He has aggressively delivered his cautious message -- through town halls, talk shows, travel and, yes, prime-time news conferences. His message: Stick with me and my $3.6 trillion budget.

"This is a big ocean liner, it's not a speedboat. It doesn't turn around immediately," he said Tuesday night. "But we're in a better, better place because of the decisions that we made."
Calm. Cool. Careful.

One of the few times he summoned raw emotion came after a reporter demanded to know why it took him so long to express outrage over the AIG executive bonuses.

"It took a couple of days because I like to know what I'm talking about before I speak."

Even better, he likes to have it up on the teleprompter.

Back