THE SUN WILL DESTROY THE EARTH IN 3.5 MILLION YEARS!!!!

paul_valaru said:
come here in winter, if you live in bayou counrty, you'll be...shocked

i went to montana one year for new years and my noses hairs froze immediately upon leaving the airport, a most disagreeable feeling to someone who is used to 90 degree weather...

Actually it will end into a "neutron star"(?) according to what I read...
Sorry, dude. It has to be big enough to go supernova to have enough mass to collapse that far. [science geek] Actually, if anyone cares, the Chandrasekhar limit is the minimum mass left after a supernova (which can blow away up to 80% or so of a star's mass) that will still allow it to collapse that far. About 1.4 times the current mass of the sun.[/science geek] :D

Edit: yeah, large mouth bass. :lol:

chcr said:
Sorry, Inky, the sun can't go supernova, it's well below the Chandrasekhar limit. It'll just expand till it eats most of the planets, then shrink to a white dwarf.

Slight precision - the Chandrasekhar limit is the mass limit for a star to become a White Dwarf, not for it to supernova. A white dwarf can in fact still supernova if it can drag in enough material from somewhere..

Justintime said:
our sun is insignificant compared to other stars

Not really, our sun is an average-to-medium-large star, only about 10% of stars ever go to Neutron star or black dwarf stage.. eventually about 60% of the matter of the universe will end up in a white dwarf so we're not exactly alone.. ;)

Incidentally, for anyone who cares a black hole with the mass of the earth would measure about two-fifths of a millimetre in diameter... I probably would have guessed a lot smaller... :shrug:

a13antichrist said:
Incidentally, for anyone who cares a black hole with the mass of the earth would measure about two-fifths of a millimetre in diameter... I probably would have guessed a lot smaller... :shrug:

True but usually even the smallest, known, ones are astronomically bigger than our earth.

Hell i am waiting for positronian era to come....according to that era our known history of universe will be less than a second long.

Back