This day in history.....

February 26th

1766: Empress Catherine II (the Great) grants freedom of worship in Russia.

1848: Karl Marx and Friederich Engels publish the Communist Manifesto in London.

1919: The United States Congress establishes the Grand Canyon as a national park.

1985: Tina Turner wins two Grammy Awards for her hit song "What's Love Got to Do With It?"

1993: A terrorist bomb explosion kills five people and badly damages the World Trade Center in New York, New York.

1848: Karl Marx and Friederich Engels publish the Communist Manifesto in London.
Marx is a pariah, nobody remembers Engels. :shrug:
1993: A terrorist bomb explosion kills five people and badly damages the World Trade Center in New York, New York.
Took 'em eight years to try again. Maybe we shouldn't be patting ourselves on the back about the great job we're doing with security until 2009 or so, huh?

February 27th

1594: Henry IV is crowned king of France in Chartres.

1922: The United States Supreme Court declares the Nineteenth Amendment constitutional, thereby guaranteeing women's voting rights.

1933: The Reichstag, seat of the German parliament, is set on fire.

1973: Sioux Native Americans seize and hold Wounded Knee on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, demanding a United States Senate investigation of Native American problems.

1974: The first issue of People magazine, a weekly publication featuring entertainment and social-interest news, hits the newsstands.

1990: The Exxon Corporation is indicted on five criminal charges relating to the 1989 Alaskan oil spill.

2003: A design by architect Daniel Libeskind is selected to be built on the former site of the twin towers of New York City's World Trade Center.

Mare said:
1974: The first issue of People magazine, a weekly publication featuring entertainment and social-interest news, hits the newsstands.

Still used as a primary source of hard news by millions of non-thinking American sheeple.

Gotta tell you, if I walk into your house and see an issue of "People" on your coffee table, I just mentally adjusted your IQ downward about 20 points.

HomeLAN said:
Still used as a primary source of hard news by millions of non-thinking American sheeple.

Gotta tell you, if I walk into your house and see an issue of "People" on your coffee table, I just mentally adjusted your IQ downward about 20 points.
I suspect that's giving such people entirely too much credit. ;)

March 5th

1770: In the Boston Massacre, British troops fire on a raucous mob, killing five Americans and wounding six. Among the victims is Crispus Attucks, a seaman of African American descent.

1897: The American Negro Academy is formed.

1922: Annie Oakley shoots 98 out of 100 clay pigeons, breaking the existing women's trap-shooting record.

1946: Winston Churchill, in a speech in Fulton, Missouri, declares that “from Stettin in the Baltic to Trieste in the Adriatic an iron curtain has descended across the
European Continent.”

1956: The motion picture King Kong is shown on television for the first time.

Sorry, been Lolligagging off the computer lately! :D

March 12th

1868: The south African chief Moshoeshoe I is granted British protection from the Boers, making Basutoland (modern Lesotho) a British protectorate.

1912: The Girl Scouts of the United States of America is founded.
COOKIES! MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM :D

1933: President Franklin Roosevelt holds his first fireside chat by radio, to encourage support for the New Deal.

1938: The Anschluss (annexation) of Austria takes place when German troops invade and occupy the country, and a Nazi government is formed.

1969: Paul McCartney and Linda Eastman marry.

1992: Mauritius becomes a republic within the British Commonwealth.

Oh I know, Last weekend was the last of cookie season for us. Bought a bunch of them. I'll have cookies for some time now! :swing:

I had to stop by Walfart for something yesterday, and had to beat my way through a crowd of the little thugs to get to the entrance.

HomeLAN said:
I had to stop by Walfart for something yesterday, and had to beat my way through a crowd of the little thugs to get to the entrance.
The one by the big chicken? Us, too. Normally i wouldn't even try to resist but they caught me during lent.

HomeLAN said:

:elaugh1:

*pictures HL swatting his way through a crowd of suburban Girl Scouts with soccer moms in tow*

:rofl3:

I'm kinda sad... I didn't see any this year so I couldn't buy any cookies. :(

Last year, they came to RadioShack when I was working there... none stopped by the News office this year, or at least weren't let into the newsroom to sell.

Inky, I'll sell you a box for $10.00................hehehehehehehe Can you believe those boxes are up to $3.50 :nono:

March 13th

1781: German-born English astronomer William Herschel discovers the planet Uranus.

1868: The impeachment trial of President Andrew Johnson begins. Johnson is the first United States president to be impeached.

1881: Alexander II, emperor of Russia, is assassinated by a bomb thrown into his carriage by a member of a revolutionary group, the Narodnaya Volya (People's Will).

1961: The Spanish painter Pablo Picasso, age 79, marries Jacqueline Roque, age 37.

SouthernN'Proud said:
:elaugh1:

*pictures HL swatting his way through a crowd of suburban Girl Scouts with soccer moms in tow*

:rofl3:

I considered just writing up a little sign reading, "I carry no cash." The little bastards will leave you alone if you're not a marketing opportunity.

March 14th

1743: The first town meeting is held at Faneuil Hall in Boston, Massachusetts.

1794: Eli Whitney patents the cotton gin.

1883: Karl Marx, Prussian political theorist, economist, and sociologist whose ideas formed the basis of communism, dies in London, England, at the age of 65.

1900: The United States Congress passes legislation transferring all U.S. currency to the gold standard.

1964: Jack Ruby is found guilty of the murder of Lee Harvey Oswald, alleged assassin of President John F. Kennedy.

Back