This day in history.....

Inkara1 said:
I just checked eBay... you're going to have to drop your price by about $7.

Oh Good Lord........By the time you get your cookies from Ebay, wouldn't they be stale........LOL
Can't believe someone would sell them on there! :D

Mare said:
Oh Good Lord........By the time you get your cookies from Ebay, wouldn't they be stale........LOL
Can't believe someone would sell them on there! :D
No...I'm sure they'd be shipped priority which is only 2-4 days usually.

March 15th

1916: A United States expedition under the command of General John J. Pershing is sent into Mexico to pursue the Mexican revolutionary Francisco “Pancho” Villa.

1919: The American Legion is formed in Paris, France.

1937: The first blood bank in the world is established in Chicago.

1956: The musical My Fair Lady, with lyrics by Alan Jay Lerner and music by Frederick Loewe, makes its debut performance in New York City.

1964: Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton are married in Montreal, Canada.

1989: A large rally in Budapest calls for democracy and national independence for Hungary.

March 16th

1516: Louis II, aged nine, succeeds as king of Bohemia and Hungary on the death of Ladislas II.

1802: West Point, site of the United States Military Academy, is founded by the Congress of the United States.

1850: Nathaniel Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter is published.

1966: United States astronauts Neil Armstrong and David Scott, aboard Gemini 8, achieve the first linkup of a crewed spacecraft with another object, an Agena rocket.

1968: United States soldiers massacre hundreds of men, women, and children at the village of My Lai, in South Vietnam.

1971: Simon and Garfunkel win the Grammy Award for Best Album for Bridge Over Troubled Water and the Grammy for Best Record for the title song.

Mare said:
1971: Simon and Garfunkel win the Grammy Award for Best Album for Bridge Over Troubled Water and the Grammy for Best Record for the title song.

This song is up there with Seven Bridges Road by The Eagles

March 17th

Erin Go Braugh'

1737: The Charitable Irish Society of Boston, Massachusetts, hosts the first nonliturgical celebration of Saint Patrick's Day.

1762: The first Saint Patrick's Day parade in New York inaugurates a strong traditional celebration among Irish Americans.

1861: The kingdom of Italy is formally proclaimed.

1905: Anna Eleanor Roosevelt marries Franklin Delano Roosevelt.

1969: Golda Meir is sworn in as Israel's fourth prime minister.

highwayman said:
Marriage lasted real good for second cousins....
If you say so.....I personally don't find my husband sleeping with another woman for years the telltale sign of a good marriage but maybe it's just me.

tonksy said:
If you say so.....I personally don't find my husband sleeping with another woman for years the telltale sign of a good marriage but maybe it's just me.

I wasn't insinuating any infadulity, only that they were cousins...

Could be....My parents were not related at all and they were married for 54 years when Dad passed away. Neither were divorced. I think that that there were generations knew what comitment was and divorce never entered the picture...

March 18th

1554: Princess Elizabeth, heir apparent to the throne in England, is imprisoned for suspected complicity in Wyatt's Rebellion against her half sister, Queen Mary I of England.

1922: Mohandas Gandhi, the leader of the Indian Home Rule movement, is sentenced to six years' imprisonment for civil disobedience.

1925: Thousands of people are injured and 689 killed when a tornado, the worst in United States history to date, passes through Missouri, Illinois, and Indiana.

1959: President Dwight D. Eisenhower signs a bill into law that approves statehood for Hawaii. Hawaii officially becomes a state on August 21, 1959.

1967: The Beatle's hit single "Penny Lane" goes Number One.

March 19th

1687: The French explorer René-Robert Cavelier, Sieur de La Salle is murdered on the banks of the Rio Brazos (in modern Texas) by his mutinous men.

1823: Emperor Agustín de Iturbide of Mexico is forced to abdicate by insurgents.

1831: The first recorded bank robbery in history takes place in New York City. The bank robbers make off with about $245,000, some of which is later recovered.

1920: The United States Senate refuses to ratify the Treaty of Versailles for the second time; the United States does not join the League of Nations.

1977: CBS broadcasts the final episode of "The Mary Tyler Moore Show."

1995: Michael Jordan returns to professional basketball after a 17-month period of retirement.

2003: United States forces invade Iraq, beginning the U.S.-Iraq War of 2003.

March 20

1602: The Dutch East India Company is chartered to establish bases and fortifications against Spain and Portugal, in return for a monopoly of trade in the Indian and Pacific oceans.

1852: Harriet Beecher Stowe's Uncle Tom's Cabin is first published in book form.

1956: France recognizes the independence of its protectorate of Tunisia. The bey of Tunis is head of state with Habib ben Ali Bourguiba as prime minister.

1969: John Lennon and Yoko Ono marry on the Rock of Gilbralter.

1995: Nerve gas kills 12 people and injures about 5000 on the underground railroad in Tokyo, Japan. Two days later police raid the offices of the Aum Shinrikyo religious sect (founded in 1987) in Kamikuishiki, Honshu.

Back