This guys got a lot of nerve

flavio

Banned
This guy who has a site called Vorcate contacted me 8-9 months ago to do some sub-contracted web developement for him. I wasn't interested in the project but we were in contact a few times about other possible projects.

One day he asks me about making a Flash audio control for him. I told him my buddy made one for his site that's exactly what he's talking about. He saw it, liked it. I asked my buddy about it and he said he'd give it to the guy for $50. This is saving Vorcate guy quite a bit of money over coding from scratch.

I normally get money up front but I thought this guy would be happy with how cheap he was getting off. So I sent it to him and never heard from him again...ended up paying my friend anyway out of my own pocket.

So anyway today 8 months later the guy IMs me out of nowhere with the conversation below....

[14:32] VorcateJeff: Just letting you know if you're looking for any web designers to outsource to, I am available ;-)
[14:34] flavio: ok, haven't heard from you since I sent you that Flash audio control you were going to pay for
[14:35] VorcateJeff: yeah some things came up, got into some trouble
[14:35] VorcateJeff: I'm back though :)
[14:35] flavio: does that mean you can pay for the audio control now?
[14:36] VorcateJeff: what audio control?
[14:38] flavio: you were doing a site for yourself. IYou wanted audio on it and needed a Flash control for the audio. I showed you one my buddy did and you said it was what you needed. I asked him for it and he said he needed $50 for it. You said ok. I sent it to you and never heard from you again
[14:38] VorcateJeff: oh hell if I know, don't remember but no, I'm not paying for anything
[14:38] VorcateJeff: I never used whatever it was
[14:39] flavio: You asked for it...and said ok to the $50...now you don't want to pay for it
[14:39] VorcateJeff: that's right
[14:39] VorcateJeff: what was that, 8 months ago?
[14:40] VorcateJeff: whatever it was, I'm not paying for anything
[14:40] VorcateJeff: just so you know
[14:40] flavio: does that matter?
[14:40] flavio: You agreed to pay for it. I sent it...you didn't pay.
[14:40] VorcateJeff: we don't want to get into he said she said because then you would be a hipocrit
[14:40] flavio: why would I be a hypocrit?
[14:41] flavio: I don't do dishonest things like that
[14:41] VorcateJeff: I'm just not going to pay for something I never used or signed a contract for
[14:41] VorcateJeff: that simple
[14:41] flavio: so your word is useless?
[14:42] VorcateJeff: nah
[14:42] VorcateJeff: just in regards to that audio whatever it was
[14:42] VorcateJeff: i dont need it, i didnt use it
[14:42] VorcateJeff: and I cannot hlpe that I disappeared for a while
[14:42] VorcateJeff: things happen
[14:42] flavio: you agreed to pay for it...and didn't. That is dishonest
[14:43] VorcateJeff: okay
[14:43] flavio: probably the same type of behavior that made you disappear
[14:43] VorcateJeff: haha
[14:43] VorcateJeff: nah
[14:43] VorcateJeff: you don't need to be immature about 50 dollars lol
[14:43] VorcateJeff: just take it elsewhere boss
[14:43] flavio: immature? You're the dishonest one
[14:44] VorcateJeff: lol
[14:44] VorcateJeff: alright see you
[14:44] flavio: did you get locked up for ripping someone else off?
[14:44] VorcateJeff: naaaaaahh
[14:44] VorcateJeff: got locked up for beating someone with a tire iron
[14:45] flavio: well I'll be sure to outsource my developement to an ex-con scammer
[14:45] VorcateJeff: you should :)
[14:46] flavio: did you get poked in the pokey?
[14:46] VorcateJeff: nah
[14:46] VorcateJeff: wow
[14:46] VorcateJeff: you really are immature
[14:46] VorcateJeff: haha
[14:46] VorcateJeff: see yah buddy
[14:46] VorcateJeff: thanks for that flash ;-)
[14:46] flavio: heh...I'm immature.

I'm just not going to pay for something I never used or signed a contract for

That, ladies & gentlemen, is a lesson in why lawyers have so much power.

Yeah, I'm not making a contract for $50. The guy is a chump and I just wanted to make sure he knew it.

I think that in this case, asking if he got poked in the pokey wasn't particularly appropriate. It was an unfriendly exchange and included an argument about immaturity. Asking if he was someone's prison bitch had nothing to do witht he topic at hand.

Yeah, the guy's a chump, but someone who knows you less well than myself might think you were stooping to his level.

Inkara1 said:
I think that in this case, asking if he got poked in the pokey wasn't particularly appropriate. It was an unfriendly exchange and included an argument about immaturity. Asking if he was someone's prison bitch had nothing to do witht he topic at hand.

Yeah, the guy's a chump, but someone who knows you less well than myself might think you were stooping to his level.

Sounds about right...:lol:

Inkara1 said:
Maybe, there wasn't much else to do at that point in the conversation. I'm not trying to take him to court for $50.

Append interest to it as well, and nail his ass. Your court costs (minimal for small claims) are inclusive in the suit, if you do it right.

I seriously hate thieves.

Keep in mind, you are unlikely his first victim & if you do nothing, there WILL be more. Fifty bucks is a decent evening out.

Shame you can't handle this thief the way they do on the ship. Amazing what a deterant a bar of soap and a towel can be in the hands of an angry sailor.

I'd have offered him $50 worth of work, and not paid him for it. Append the credit to his outstanding balance and you're done. And don't sign a contract either.

If your exchange was verbal...it'll be tough, but if the flash media file was emailed to him...then you've got a paper trail.

Thing about small claims...you make the claim. If he doesn't bother showing up to the court date, you win by default.

The problem is collecting. It's not the court's duty to collect for you. Hiring a collector might drain you more than the $50.

Slagging him online, though appealing, might get you a slander suit though. I'd be careful about how often you share that story with his real nick' , eh.

Like Gonz said...lawyers!!

A verbal contract is still a contract...much much harder to enforce, but it's still a contract. At least I think I remember that from Law 101.

Depends on state law. In Georgia, for instance, anything over $500 MUST be on paper. Verbal contracts, while technically existing under that threshold, are notoriously unenforceable.

MrBishop said:
If your exchange was verbal...it'll be tough, but if the flash media file was emailed to him...then you've got a paper trail.

Thing about small claims...you make the claim. If he doesn't bother showing up to the court date, you win by default.

The problem is collecting. It's not the court's duty to collect for you. Hiring a collector might drain you more than the $50.
I emailed him the Flash and have his emails requesting it and agreeing to the $50. I would file a small claims case but my concern is wasting a bunch more time and never being able to collect. This guy is out of state too if that makes a difference.

What may be more promising is there was another company that ripped me off about 6 months ago for $1200. They are in-state (although way down in San Diego) and I had a contract. When the work was done they paid with their credit card through PayPal.

2 months later they filed it as an "unauthorized charge" with their credit card company who took the money back from PayPal. I gave mountains of evidence to PayPal showing that the charge was authorized but PayPal said the credit card company wouldn't cooperate. PayPal referred me to a website to report internet fraud, which I did....but I never heard back on it.

It seems like these people should be charged with credit card fraud in addition to paying me my money.

din' yer mommie (er Daddy if you had one)
ever tell you not to piss and moan over spilt milk

or in other words spending good time chasing lost money?

Back