tipping...no not cows.

Oz said:
I don't tip. No bugger ever gave me a tip for working in construction, in an office or serving a customer........so I like to reciprocate that :)

If someone actually asked for a tip.......I'd prolly give them the address of the local college or summit :D

As for kids and tipping......hmm, who knows, mebbe if they give their moms a coupla dollars for serving dinner or summit they might get into the habit.

People who don't tip ought to be made to work in a restaraunt for a year and forced to donate all their tips to charity, in my opinion. Ridiculous as that may seem.

markjs said:
People who don't tip ought to be made to work in a restaraunt for a year and forced to donate all their tips to charity, in my opinion. Ridiculous as that may seem.

Why? We have a good minimum wage system here. The waiter/waitress is gauranteed to be making as much as the person who sat sweating in a factory making the table and chairs you sit to eat from.........I don't see anyone rushing to the factory door to give them a tip :shrug:

Just because you guys think it's cool to subsidise folks wages, doesn't mean that I do. Let the fat cat restaurant owners reward good service.......it's the good service their staff provide that puts more £'s in their pockets.

Don't get me wrong, if I have recieved good service, I occasionally tip, if the service is excellent or I've made a request that isn't usual as part of a persons job.....to a variety of folks in the customer service industries.........I just don't see it as par for the course :)

Well maybe in U.K. there is a good minimum wage system, but in the U.S. either the waitress makes substantially less than minimum wage, or their wages are so heavily taxed that they make substantially less than minimum wage depending on the state. So if you ever visit here Oz please bear that in mind, that our government takes from them because tipping is customary in this country, and please consider tipping Aamerican waitresses.

$2.55?!?! Holy-freakin-what's-wrong-with-that-picture-shit. Do your tips generally make up for that low salary?

Minimum wage here is $6.25, I'm pretty sure that's what most waitstaff get.

markjs said:
So if you ever visit here Oz please bear that in mind, that our government takes from them because tipping is customary in this country, and please consider tipping Aamerican waitresses.

Hmm.......I'd like to be all sympathetic and shit.......but like I said, no bugger ever tipped me, so why should I tip them? :confused: Unless being a waiter/waitress is some kinda compulsory employment or summit :lloyd:

kuulani said:
$2.55?!?! Holy-freakin-what's-wrong-with-that-picture-shit. Do your tips generally make up for that low salary?

Minimum wage here is $6.25, I'm pretty sure that's what most waitstaff get.
yeah, my tips do make up for it. i average about $60 a day...my worst day ever was $38 and my best was $95...but usually it's around $60.

markjs said:
Well you better not eat at the same place too often or you'll get shitty service.

Yeah, but then you just go back the next day and show 'em how bad a really bad customer can be :evilcool:

tonksy said:
yeah, my tips do make up for it. i average about $60 a day...my worst day ever was $38 and my best was $95...but usually it's around $60.

$60 in tips is pretty good!

yeah...but for some reason i don't feel like it was a good day unless i break $70. tomorrow and sunday should be good days...except for business on saturdays has been slower since it got all summer-y.

What does a gallon of gas cost there tonksy? A gallon of milk? I just can't imagine that the standard of living could be as high there as here on those wages.

markjs said:
What does a gallon of gas cost there tonksy? A gallon of milk? I just can't imagine that the standard of living could be as high there as here on those wages.
gas...like 1.79? i think...
milk is $3.57 a gallon at kroger.

Geez if the milk price representative of other things you could do a better here. We pay about 2+ for gas, but milk is cheaper ($3) here and wages are far higher. I bet rents are low there though.

Rent on a decent one person place is gonna be north of $650. Gas and electricity are cheap as hell (comparitively). Real estate, we're probably middle of the road. You can get milk for under $3.00 regularly at Sam's Club.

Like anyplace else, you stretch the cash by shopping wisely.

markjs said:
If that's rent then you can definately do better on the west coast.
didn't washington state have the highest suicide rate in the country? i like sunshine.

My new apartment is $575 a month. It's two motel rooms remodeled into a one-bedroom apartment. The bathroom in one of the rooms was turned into a (small) kitchen. The going rate for a one-bedroom in this area is $650-$750.

Back