tipping...no not cows.

tonksy said:
didn't washington state have the highest suicide rate in the country? i like sunshine.

That's just ignorance, as Washington state is around 30th in suicide rate, and we enjoy lots of summer sun throughout the whole state. Winters are wet on the Seattle side and snowy on the spokane side, but we don't get anything near the amount of rain most people think. Where I live we get about 15" a year.

That's ok though, cuz while I said you'd do better up here it wasn't an invite. Our state is one of the hottest items in the country; high wages, no income tax, cheap land. Many of us would like to stop the fast growth of our state right where it is.

markjs said:
That's just ignorance, as Washington state is around 30th in suicide rate, and we enjoy lots of summer sun throughout the whole state. Winters are wet on the Seattle side and snowy on the spokane side, but we don't get anything near the amount of rain most people think. Where I live we get about 15" a year.

That's ok though, cuz while I said you'd do better up here it wasn't an invite. Our state is one of the hottest items in the country; high wages, no income tax, cheap land. Many of us would like to stop the fast growth of our state right where it is.
i lived in bremerton as a child...i do remember some sunshine...i suppose i was joking ;)

markjs said:

Summer in Seattle...The best 2 days of the year. :lol:

Before you start, I spent some time in the Sea-Tac area, and I loved it there. The tax situation, however, sucks. What is the state sales tax up to now? When I was there, it was 7% across the board. :shrug:

$650 and up seems to be what I've been seeing from studio and some 1 bedroom apartments around here, I am looking to move soon and gotta shop around a bit, so I guess it's pretty comparable to everywhere else. Also like markjs, gas is just above $2 a gallon and milk is $3 a gallon. I've never gotten tips, and technically we're not allowed to collect tips, we do get some commissions for selling items of the month, but with my job I'm rarely at a register thus I rarely make money from that (I'm lucky to make $5 a month from those). I once got $5 for helping an elderly customer jump start his car, but that's it.

gas here is ~1.72 right now, milk is pretty high but i don't know exactly. housing is pretty variable depending highly on where in the twin cities you are. a buddy of mine is moving out of a decent 2-BR that he had for $525/mo. it was Section 7 (or something) housing though.

If you are poor and can't tip...go to the grocery store and get something cheap from the deli. That is my opinion on it. Or get your food to go so that you do not require the help of a waiter or waitress who only makes $2.13 an hour. That is what it is here in Colorado.

tommyj27 said:
gas here is ~1.72 right now, milk is pretty high but i don't know exactly. housing is pretty variable depending highly on where in the twin cities you are. a buddy of mine is moving out of a decent 2-BR that he had for $525/mo. it was Section 7 (or something) housing though.
section 8....well, that's what it was in louisiana....wonder if they call it that here in georgia?

Here I believe waitresses might make a LITTLE bit below our min wage (which I believe atm is $7/hour) but not much, it's like a dollar less if that...so by that means $8 in tips over an 8 hour shift would bring them up to the factory workers and labourers making min wage...

I tip if the service is good, otherwise I don't.

At bars if I am ordering a drink at the bar I tip if the bar tender is friendly and engages in conversation with me while I wait for my drink to be made. if I walk up and order something in a bottle and all I get is the top taken off and handed to me I might leave 50cents...they did next to nothing, I am already over paying and they couldn't even make chit chat while getting the bottle and opening it...bah

I once went up to a bar and ordered the exact same drink I had ordered less than 5min before (amaretto and coke with a request to use the next bigger glass tha normal cause that was a perfect ratio for cherry coke taste) and I was kinda tipsy but the second drink wasn't for me so I was like "This one isn't for me though! I'm not THAT much of an alcoholic!" and he laughed and I told him I was getting it for a friend for her birthday and because of that he made it a double and only charged me for a single. He said "Since it's her birthday" and added an extra shot. The drink was $5 and I tipped him like $3.

Here, in the land of meese and polar bears, we don't tip. Ever. Well, unless you're hitting on the waitress or something... Wait, it still might be a bad idea, since it might make her feel like you're buying her love. Whatever.
Bottom line is that we don't tip since the tip already paid with our somewhat excessive prices.

I have set bartenders at the few bars that I go to anymore. Really I only go out on Friday's and Erik and I always go to the same guy who remembers our drinks, starts pouring them when we are 3rd in line, gives us free stuff here and there, "forgets" to charge us every now and then. We usualy tip hom about $20 on a $20 tab.

Back