tipping...no not cows.

tommyj27 said:
i tip 15% at a sit-down joint unless the service was terrible/amazing. Especially the places I frequent.

Now to throw another variable in. I usually do tuesday nights at BW3 (buffalo wild wings) where you order at the counter, your order is brought out to you, and there is a seperate wait staff for anything else, not to mention the bartender. Who all gets tipped in that mess? Usually I tip the bartender, but no one else, unless we leave our table a particular mess or some other circumstance.

10-15% of the tab is usually appropriate if someone brings the order to the table, refills drinks, and takes away the remains. If you have to go get your own drinks from the bar, tip the bartender, but tip the table wait person correspondingly less.

I will leave a buck or two for the bus person at a buffet, more if we make a big mess.

tonksy said:
hairstylists, tattoo artists, cabbies...the only times i have received flowers it was unexpected or i was in the hospital and without cash...i always felt bad about it though.

All delivery people who aren't wearing a UPS, FedEx, or USPS uniform.

I tip the teenagers at the carwash who towel off the truck after it comes out . . . they are always cheerful and they know I expect attention to detail - they always wipe the door jambs, and I've never seen them do that to other vehicles. They seem to really appreciate a buck apiece. (the carwash costs $7.00)

I tip cabbies if they're friendly.

I had one cabbie one night who revealed that he made quite a large sum of money in the run of a month being a cab driver. I didn't think he'd lie about that cause it would make us LESS likely to tip him if we knew he made so much. So, we gave him a nice tip, he was friednly and made the ride enjoyable. On the other hand...the next night out cabbie told us cabbies make less than half what the other guy told us...prolly to make up feel bad and tip more...he was grumpy too...no tip for him.

I always tip at sitdown restaurants where the waitress has to serve ,but not at buffets or smorgs,I also tip pizza delivery drivers and the lady who cuts my hair.If the waitress keeps my coffee full ,then she gets a better tip than if I have to wave her over(not that I ever do that)

tommyj27 said:
i tip 15% at a sit-down joint unless the service was terrible/amazing. Especially the places I frequent.

Now to throw another variable in. I usually do tuesday nights at BW3 (buffalo wild wings) where you order at the counter, your order is brought out to you, and there is a seperate wait staff for anything else, not to mention the bartender. Who all gets tipped in that mess? Usually I tip the bartender, but no one else, unless we leave our table a particular mess or some other circumstance.
I rarely tip at the BWW here. Only when its a waitres who came to the table to take my order (seconds) and/or refills my drink for me.

A.B.Normal said:
I always tip at sitdown restaurants where the waitress has to serve ,but not at buffets or smorgs,I also tip pizza delivery drivers and the lady who cuts my hair.If the waitress keeps my coffee full ,then she gets a better tip than if I have to wave her over(not that I ever do that)
What kind of coffee is it? Filter coffee or something? It's just that in NZ, it's all expresso-based, so we don't have some waitress wandering around filling cups. Is that standard practice in all cafes to have filter coffee/refillable coffee? [ignorant foreigner question]

BeardofPants said:
What kind of coffee is it? Filter coffee or something? It's just that in NZ, it's all expresso-based, so we don't have some waitress wandering around filling cups. Is that standard practice in all cafes to have filter coffee/refillable coffee? [ignorant foreigner question]
Yep, free refills of the filter brewed .Even McDonalds has free refills if you have coffee in store,but you have to go up to the counter.Some restaurants even leave a full Carafe at the table :coffee:

Nixy said:
I tip cabbies if they're friendly.

I had one cabbie one night who revealed that he made quite a large sum of money in the run of a month being a cab driver. I didn't think he'd lie about that cause it would make us LESS likely to tip him if we knew he made so much. So, we gave him a nice tip, he was friednly and made the ride enjoyable. On the other hand...the next night out cabbie told us cabbies make less than half what the other guy told us...prolly to make up feel bad and tip more...he was grumpy too...no tip for him.
What if the guy who said he made a lot of money was lying and they really don't make a whole lot of money :p

A.B.Normal said:
Yep, free refills of the filter brewed .Even McDonalds has free refills if you have coffee in store,but you have to go up to the counter.Some restaurants even leave a full Carafe at the table :coffee:
Wow... Not many places in NZ do filter coffee. We like our expresso too much. ;)

fury said:
What if the guy who said he made a lot of money was lying and they really don't make a whole lot of money :p

Well, in my drunk stouper at the time and now in my sober state I could and can not find a reason for him to lie.

markjs said:
Where the heck do you work tonksy? I can scarcely believe a ticket being under $10.
i work at waffle house...it's a huge chain of small diners. the largest ticket i have ever seen there was $38 and that was a booth full of manual laborers that all had the double steak dinners.

For sit-down meals, I start at 30% and deduct for elements of bad service. I've been known to leave 30%, and I've been known to leave a penny, but it averages out to about 20%.

For buffets, I do tip, but usually only 10%. For cab rides and deliveries, usually 10%. For barbers, usually 15%, but that's a much more personal service, and thus demands a higher rate.

In the US, all of you DO know that 15% is considered the norm for sit-down meals, right?

tonksy said:
i work at waffle house...it's a huge chain of small diners. the largest ticket i have ever seen there was $38 and that was a booth full of manual laborers that all had the double steak dinners.

What's the state, and if you don't mind the waitress wage? Here (WA) the wage is $7.16 an hour, and the smallest ticket at a waffle house would be about $7 and a steak goes for no less than $15.

I think that we've done this thread before, but here goes...

Around here...the 15% tip is easy enough to calculate...taxes at 15% and you always tip on teh before tax amount. $3.82 in taxes...about $3.75-4.00 in tip
I usually tip at restaurants..unless I have to chase hte waitress, in which case..they should bloody well tip me. I've had to fetch my own utensils from the rack before because the ones ont he table were not complete sets etc... Enough bullshit from a place's waitress will mean me either walking out or taking the time to actually complain to the manager. Customer service is a skill unto itself..if the waitress ain't got the skill, no tip!

I usually tip in service industry gigs. Haircuts, deliveries etc...but oddly enough, not for stores where the sales-peon has been helping me for 30-45mins so that I can find the right cothes/shoes/whatnot. Odd that?

Bars- I tip HUGE the first time..always! The bartender gets between 100-150% of the bill for the first round. It's spendy, but I don't ever have to wait for hours for a cold beer or a new vodka on ice. The subsequent tips aren't as large, but they're more than reasonable...20-30%. Ya know what...the next time that I go into that bar...the bartenders recognize me...I get faster service and once..I got a phone number of a nice bartendress :) After my 4th visit.

DeBish said:
I usually tip in service industry gigs. Haircuts, deliveries etc...but oddly enough, not for stores where the sales-peon has been helping me for 30-45mins so that I can find the right cothes/shoes/whatnot. Odd that?

Most of them are already making commision off the things they sell you. They spend so much time becso they are sur eyou're gonna make purchases.

Once when I worked as a delivery girl for a local sandwich shop ... I got a percentage of the bill as pay + gas + tips.

On my very first delivery to what turned out to be a regular customer, she paid the $6.40 for her sandwich combo and as tip she said, "keep the change". Oh, thanks a lot. $0.60 freakin cents. I could buy a small pack of gum with her generosity.

Because of that, since all orders had to be in by 11am, so I could deliver all the orders at once, I always made sure to deliver her food last - just to be sure that the bread was nice and soggy.

markjs said:
What's the state, and if you don't mind the waitress wage? Here (WA) the wage is $7.16 an hour, and the smallest ticket at a waffle house would be about $7 and a steak goes for no less than $15.
:eek: i work in georgia. i make $2.55 and hour. the smallest ticket is around $2.32 for an adult waffle and the sirloin dinner is $6.40.

*remembers not to move to the west coast

Back