To the MOON, Alice!

Judging by the fact that this has not yet been mentioned, I would surmise that I could possibly be the only one here who has seen this tidbit which was released yesterday.

SOURCE

Moon landing tapes got erased, NASA admits
Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:49pm EDT

By Maggie Fox, Health and Science Editor
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The original recordings of the first humans landing on the moon 40 years ago were erased and re-used, but newly restored copies of the original broadcast look even better, NASA officials said on Thursday.

NASA released the first glimpses of a complete digital make-over of the original landing footage that clarifies the blurry and grainy images of Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin walking on the surface of the moon.

The full set of recordings, being cleaned up by Burbank, California-based Lowry Digital, will be released in September. The preview is available at www.nasa.gov

NASA admitted in 2006 that no one could find the original video recordings of the July 20, 1969, landing.

Since then, Richard Nafzger, an engineer at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Maryland, who oversaw television processing at the ground-tracking sites during the Apollo 11 mission, has been looking for them.

The good news is he found where they went. The bad news is they were part of a batch of 200,000 tapes that were degaussed -- magnetically erased -- and re-used to save money.

"The goal was live TV," Nafzger told a news conference.

"We should have had a historian running around saying 'I don't care if you are ever going to use them -- we are going to keep them'," he said.

They found good copies in the archives of CBS news and some recordings called kinescopes found in film vaults at Johnson Space Center.

Lowry, best known for restoring old Hollywood films, has been digitizing these along with some other bits and pieces to make a new rendering of the original landing.

Nafzger does not worry that using a Hollywood-based company might fuel the fire of conspiracy theorists who believe the entire lunar program that landed people on the moon six times between 1969 and 1972 was staged on a movie set or secret military base.

"This company is restoring historic video. It mattered not to me where the company was from," Nafzger said.

"The conspiracy theorists are going to believe what they are going to believe," added Lowry Digital Chief Operating Officer Mike Inchalik.

And there may be some unofficial copies of the original broadcast out there somewhere that were taken from a NASA video switching center in Sydney, Australia, the space agency said. Nafzger said someone else in Sydney made recordings too.

"These tapes are not in the system," Nafzger said. "We are certainly open to finding them."

(Editing by Philip Barbara)

I've seen my shadow by moonlight. The earth reflects a lower percentage, but is a helluva lot bigger than the moon.

The reflectivity of a body is called its albedo. The albedo of the Earth is 0.39.

Vangelis made an album back in the vinyl days, which I have a copy, called "Albedo 0.39". He was one of the premier originators of synthesized music. For your enjoyment, here are the two main tracks of the album.

Best heard through headphones and in full screen.

The title track is first with the song "Albedo 0.39".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rL1oU6fH25w

Then play this track "Pulstar"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZaLkfvQ714

If you like those, here are a couple more.

"Cosmos"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOf4SktPDak

"Heaven & Hell"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHaQnTMwKSQ

"Alpha"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT5zCHn0tsg

Judging by the fact that this has not yet been mentioned, I would surmise that I could possibly be the only one here who has seen this tidbit which was released yesterday.

SOURCE
My link mentioned it... in either case, it's unlikely to change anyone's mind. The estimate is that 5% of Americans think that the whole thing was a hoax. Aldren better get busy if he's going to slap some sense into the lot of'em ;)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The original recordings of the first humans landing on the moon 40 years ago were erased and re-used, but newly restored copies of the original broadcast look even better, NASA officials said on Thursday.

BS, restored copies of a broadcast will never look better than restored copies or the original.

BS, restored copies of a broadcast will never look better than restored copies or the original.

These days they can do pixel-by-pixel cleanup and the software these days is great at anticipatory cleanup wherein the program melds the pixels to create new fields where none existed before. It is all really impressive.

Since there is no actual original from which a direct copy could be made there can only exist reproductions which may or may not include all of the footage.

If there are gaps, those will have to be filled with created images based upon the direction the footage was going when the dropout occurred. This could be called "creative license" or "Hollywoodization".

From what I heard in interviews with the designer of the cameras on the lander and with a NASA rep from 40 years back...everything that was videotaped was sent to the television stations (through satellite relays in Australia). No editing or gaps exist. It was recorded by the TV stations (for archiving) "Live". Just the signal delay due to distance.

Well I remember that one of the major things was always how they had shadows from two directions. Correct me if I am wrong, but could the Earth not put off enough light from a different direction than the Sun to cause this?

Mythbusters did an ep on this. There's only one light source. It's the terrain that gives teh appearance of differing directions.

Well Mythbusters is entertaining, and I am sure a lot of it is true, but as for getting real scientific info it is next to useless.

GetAttachment.aspx

Inside Story: Apollo Conspiracy Theorist Arrested After Tirade

Oh, shit Jackass! Stupid fuck got himself arrested! Please reiterate your objection. I didn't quite understand where you thought I was wrong. :shrug:

Bart Sibrel is a well-known conspiracy theorist whose made a bit of a career out of ambushing America's astronauts, trying to make them look like hot-headed fakes.....

"Will you get away from me?" Aldrin demanded.

"You're a coward and a liar," Sibrel shouted, moving closer and closer to Aldrin.

At that point, the former astronaut punched Sibrel in the face.

....But Sibrel, who moonlights as a Nashville cab driver, apparently lost control a few months back over his own landing of sorts.

Court documents show he was arrested after another driver refused to pull out of a parking space he wanted. She was waiting for her car engine to warm up.

The arresting officer wrote, "A few moments later, the parking space in front of the victim opened up and [Sibrel] drove into it and parked."

Sibrel "then walked up to the victim's car and jumped onto the hood, and then jumped up and down several times."

Inside Story: Apollo Conspiracy Theorist Arrested After Tirade

Oh, shit Jackass! Stupid fuck got himself arrested! Please reiterate your objection. I didn't quite understand where you thought I was wrong. :shrug:

OK I'll give you what you want (something to argue about). Personally I think that guy was a jackass and that there was no conspiracy involving the moon landing, and good for Buzz, BUT....If that was in public, and the asshole dude wants to press charges, or someone in the crowd called the cops, Buzz, though somewhat justified, should stand trial and most likely be convicted of misdemeanor assault and battery.

There have been a number of times when I've been mad enough and felt justified in the moment, and I've been lucky never to have been charged. The point is, that a crime is a crime, no matter who commits it, and most times no matter why.

:smash:

Back