Troops want to go home

unclehobart

Chic, Your son went straight from Japan to the Gulf? 2yrs/2yrs duty? How long has it been since he's actually had more than 2 weeks back on US soil?

chcr

Too cute for words
unclehobart said:
Chic, Your son went straight from Japan to the Gulf? 2yrs/2yrs duty? How long has it been since he's actually had more than 2 weeks back on US soil?
No, he's stationed in Abilene now. His wife and kids are in the Philipines (she's Philipino) and he's having a hard time getting them into the US because of our friends at Homeland Insecurity. He thinks he's worked out a deal to move back to Japan (He'll have no problem getting them into Japan or into base housing there. Interesting, huh?) because of his area of expertise (tech sergeant supporting virtually any heavy transport). That will also take him out of the rotation for the gulf.

I'm not sure specifically, but I think his current posting is more or less like Gato's where he spends several months there then a few months stateside. They're both in the Air Force.

PS. He's never actually said so, but I think he very much prefers living in Japan to living in the US.

unclehobart

That seems odd since the Phillipines used to be a US 'protectorate'. They aren't Muslim global extremeists... they're Catholic Communists local squabbling extremeists. I figured a Phil. wife would be a bit easier to squeeze in.. especially since her hubby has a proven service record and provides. Its not an 'illegal' by any sense of what we so commonly see these days.

chcr

Too cute for words
unclehobart said:
That seems odd since the Phillipines used to be a US 'protectorate'. They aren't Muslim global extremeists... they're Catholic Communists local squabbling extremeists. I figured a Phil. wife would be a bit easier to squeeze in.. especially since her hubby has a proven service record and provides. Its not an 'illegal' by any sense of what we so commonly see these days.
There are in fact muslim extremists with links to al-Qaida operating out of the Phillipines. Phillipinos are on the list. I guess she should offer to run one of our ports. :lloyd:

unclehobart

Usually... or at least in the olden days... military overseas marriages had to be approved by the military in the first place. Was no 'background check' performed at that time?

chcr

Too cute for words
unclehobart said:
Usually... or at least in the olden days... military overseas marriages had to be approved by the military in the first place. Was no 'background check' performed at that time?
Sure. AFAIK there was no small amount of dropping the ball on both sides of this, but the simple fact is that when they got all the paperwork lined up, INS said Homeland Security had to sign off because filipinos (I looked up the spelling ;) ) are on their list. They initially turned them down. They say it was a clerical error. In any case, they had another child during all this so they've had to start from scratch again. In the meantime, they've been apart except for infrequent visits for almost three years and Arren is tired of it. If this deal works out he'll have six more years in Japan where none of this is an issue. Maybe I'll actually get ot visit him this time.

Edit: He even had to prove the child was his before they could get married.

catocom

and some people don't think there is racial profiling......
and the gov won't admit it....
and they aren't doing anything YET about mexicans, and I don't think they will
until the present admin is gone.
Just tell um to come across from Mexico. 50/50 chance nobody will ask them anything.
Of coarse then it'd be tough to get citizenship, but they'd be here. :alienhuh:

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
flavio said:
There's short limits on phone calls home and long lines to make them, little base leave, constant attacks, buddies wounded/dead, benefits cut, and they're told repeatedly that they are going home only to find the stay extended. I can understand a little frustration

Gee. I'm glad you're over here with me. You make so much more sense that way...:rofl4:

1. Two fifteen minute phone calls per seven day period, and I haven't had a line yet on a base with over 2,500 people.
2. Little base leave is true, but when the area you're in has people with hostile intent, only a complete moron would want to leave safety, anyway.
3. Haven't had any attacks here yet, and it's been almost 2 months. We've been threatened, but nobody dies because of a threat...only an action.
4. Buddies wounded/dead happens. That's why there are chaplains and counselors ready. There are also meetings with counselors and chaplains for the troops when they return home. If they don't go, and some have no choice, they go on their own, or under guard, who's fault is it?
5. Happened to me...twice. Know what? It happens. I got frustrated, sure, but I did get home. I've also learned to read every paragraph on my orders instead of just looking at the proceed date and the return date, where it explains things like HDP, IDP, FSA, and extensions.

Once again, it comes down to reading comprehension...

nalani

A friend of mine recently came home from his tour in Iraq ... ran into him at the store. He looked good, a little more buff than the last time I saw him (about 2 years ago) .. and he was telling me how he wanted to go back. I was just in awe, thinking he had a huge stroke of patriotism or something. I found out a few days later through a mutual friend that when he came back from Iraq, his girlfriend of 7 years had an affair the whole time he was gone ... I'm wondering if that has something to do with it :(

flavio

Banned
Gato_Solo said:
1. You must be in a cushy place if chcr's brother only had two minutes.
2. So everywhere is hostile except base? So much for throwing flowers.
3. I think the constant attacks reported were from the hostile intent whenever you leave base that you mentioned.
4. Well, if there's chaplains and counselors than you're right....buddies/wounded dead shouldn't be affecting anyone.
5. "Happened to me...twice. Know what? It happens. I got frustrated, sure." <- Right, that's what i was saying.

Where exactly is the reading comprehension issue you speak of?

Gato_Solo

flavio said:

It's that way in the entire area. It used to be one 15 minute call per week, and it was changed during the second Gulf war.

flavio said:
2. So everywhere is hostile except base? So much for throwing flowers.

It amazes me how much you can take things out of context to try and make a point. I never said that...

flavio said:
3. I think the constant attacks reported were from the hostile intent whenever you leave base that you mentioned.

Once again, you prove you don't want to understand what I wrote.

flavio said:
4. Well, if there's chaplains and counselors than you're right....buddies/wounded dead shouldn't be affecting anyone.

So yoy only use part of what I said...and still got it wrong.

flavio said:
5. "Happened to me...twice. Know what? It happens. I got frustrated, sure." <- Right, that's what i was saying.

Once again...context failure.

flavio said:
Where exactly is the reading comprehension issue you speak of?

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. George Bernard Shaw.

flavio

Banned
Gato_Solo said:
It amazes me how much you can take things out of context to try and make a point. I never said that...
You were saying only a moron would leave the base in the hostile are.... no? What were you saying then?

Once again, you prove you don't want to understand what I wrote.
"when the area you're in has people with hostile intent, only a complete moron would want to leave safety"

The people with hostile intent don't attack? What...they just call you names?

So yoy only use part of what I said...and still got it wrong.
What did I get wrong?

Once again...context failure.
How so?

You seem to make a hell of alot of baseless empty accusations. Apparently you think you can settle any disagreement by silply saying "you're wrong" or something similar.

chcr

Too cute for words
flavio said:
1. My son, not my brother. My brother is forty-two and no-one who smokes that much dope is probably allowed in the military. ;) The kid'll be thirty in July. That'll make your ass feel old.

2. I don't doubt that he had 15 minutes per call, I'm sure he used most of that to talk to his wife and was calling us with what was left over. Sorry, I should have been more clear. The PIA part is to be talking away and get cut off. They aren't kidding.

Oh, also Arren has never had his stay extended yet. I guess they like him better than they do Gato. ;) Gato's right though, it's what they signed up for. If they don't want to read the contract, I'd suggest not signing it.

Gato_Solo

flavio said:
You were saying only a moron would leave the base in the hostile are.... no? What were you saying then?

"when the area you're in has people with hostile intent, only a complete moron would want to leave safety"

So now the great wise, and all-knowing flavio doesn't know about the insurgents...

flavio said:
The people with hostile intent don't attack? What...they just call you names?

Not if you don't give them a target.

flavio said:
What did I get wrong?

I'll let you figure that one out, seeing as you have the answers to everything in the Middle East.

flavio said:
You seem to make a hell of alot of baseless empty accusations. Apparently you think you can settle any disagreement by silply saying "you're wrong" or something similar.

It's a combination of two things. Being here, and knowing what I know about here. You can only go by what you decide to see as important. That is why you are wrong. Also...so far...you've been wrong about everything dealing with the military. Instead of sitting in your room, and listening to your idea of the truth, and no other, why don't you join up, and experience it yourself...but, then again, that would require something you haven't got.

flavio

Banned
Gato_Solo said:
So now the great wise, and all-knowing flavio doesn't know about the insurgents...
Hey, maybe that would be the attacks I was talking about? :gun4:

Not if you don't give them a target.
Right, rarely leave base just like I said. :thumbup:

I'll let you figure that one out, seeing as you have the answers to everything in the Middle East.
Ok, let's see...I listed buddies wounded/dead in a list of things that contribute to troops frustration. You disagreed and mentioned counselors and chaplains....so counselors and chaplains keep having your bussies wounded/dead from bothering you. Right?

It's a combination of two things. Being here, and knowing what I know about here. You can only go by what you decide to see as important. That is why you are wrong. Also...so far...you've been wrong about everything dealing with the military. Instead of sitting in your room, and listening to your idea of the truth, and no other, why don't you join up, and experience it yourself...but, then again, that would require something you haven't got.
That's a cop out. If you're going to claim I'm wrong and can't even point out where I'm wrong then obviously your arguement has zero merit. In fact you've confirmed most of what I said already.

Gato_Solo

flavio said:
Hey, maybe that would be the attacks I was talking about? :gun4:

Yeah...and those are constant, right? Even when you're wrong, you make excuses, and twist words to say that you're right.

flavio said:
Right, rarely leave base just like I said. :thumbup:

And the ones complaining that they can't should be given a free pass to go out just so you can cheer about the number of dead and wounded that are coming out of the AOR...

flavio said:
Ok, let's see...I listed buddies wounded/dead in a list of things that contribute to troops frustration. You disagreed and mentioned counselors and chaplains....so counselors and chaplains keep having your bussies wounded/dead from bothering you. Right?

And I listed what the military does to alleviate such frustration.

flavio said:
That's a cop out. If you're going to claim I'm wrong and can't even point out where I'm wrong then obviously your arguement has zero merit. In fact you've confirmed most of what I said already.

The truth hurts, doesn't it? You have no idea what you're on about, so you find little tidbits of information that make you feel as thugh you know whats going on. I'm actually doing the job. That's why the 'facts' you like to rub in everyones face are nothing more than propaganda, and the truths you cling to are based upon fear and ignorance. Fact is, I've pointed out where you were wrong, source or no source, and you refuse to see it. Bottom line is, you don't have what it takes to find out for yourself, so you rely on others to get the information for you, and then dismiss what I said because you don't like it. Like I said before. You don't have what it takes, so do us all a big favor. Stay in Oakland, and shout from your soapbox if you like. I don't think anybody would even want you here.

ekahs retsam

"Troops want to go home" to damn bad... I want a cookie and i ain't getting that either. They should have read the fine print when the recruiter asked if they wanted to "see the world" :swing:

Please don't think that i'm heartless. Far from it I didn't think they should have been sent in there in the first place. However, no one held them at gun point to sign up for combat and if that is the path they chose then maybe next time they will choose differently.