U.S. May Change Plans for Iraq Handover

unclehobart said:
'mission accomplished' meant the scuffle against people in tanks and planes... a true military resistance. The 'hearts and minds' bullshit shouldn't take more than 10-12 generations. Lord knows it worked for the British in India... erm... I mean the French in Indochina... umm.. I mean the US in the Phillipines... erm.. wait...

mission-accomplished.jpg

No, according to Bush, you are wrong.

As he stood under a huge banner that says "Mission Accomplished" and tells YOU that "Major combat operations were over" He only REALLY meant that the USS Abraham Lincoln had completed a successful operation....... Of course.... It was those damn sailors that put up that tiny banner with out him noticing!

The "Mission Accomplished" sign, of course, was put up by the members of the USS Abraham Lincoln, saying that their mission was accomplished. I know it was attributed some how to some ingenious advance man from my staff -- they weren't that ingenious, by the way.
- G.W. Bush.

Oh but wait... But now he says.....

Our actions sent along a clear message that our nation is strong and our nation is compassionate. America sent you on a mission and that mission has been accomplished.

So was your mission accomplished? I am not sure, but I do know he would never lie to us... NO WAY! :rolleyes:

K62 said:
So was your mission accomplished? I am not sure, but I do know he would never lie to us... NO WAY! :rolleyes:

When you guys up north get a real navy, then you can complain...:D :p

Gato_Solo said:
When you guys up north get a real navy, then you can complain...:D :p

I am not complaining.. All I said was that Bush told me that unclehobart was wrong. Now who am I do disagree with Dubya? ;)

catocom said:
K62, are you saying you don't believe that we defeated the Iraqi armies?

Did I say that?

1970 soldiers have been killed SINCE you "accomplished your mission" What exactly was that mission he speaks of anyway? As I said in the last post, George says that the "Mission accomplished" banner had to do with the mission of the single ship..... right...

Major combat operations in Iraq have ended. In the battle of Iraq, the United States and our allies have prevailed."
- G.W. Bush

The fact that you defeated the Iraqi army doesn't mean shit if soldiers are still being KILLED in combat. As I said, not just a few more.....1970 more!

So Private Bloggins was killed by a car bomb, vs a tank. Does that change the fact that he is dead? Do you think his mother will say "Well at least he wasn't killed in major combat operations."?

Do I believe that "Major combat operations in Iraq have ended" as of 5/1/03? No, I do not.

I look at as actually 2 different wars in one.
We were already in the war on terror. The Iraq war rolled into that.
At the point you are discussing, the Iraq war basically ended, but the
war on terror continued. It just happens to be in Iraq...mainly.

Our mission continues. Al-Qaida is wounded, not destroyed. The scattered cells of the terrorist network still operate in many nations, and we know from daily intelligence that they continue to plot against free people. The proliferation of deadly weapons remains a serious danger. The enemies of freedom are not idle, and neither are we. Our government has taken unprecedented measures to defend the homeland — and we will continue to hunt down the enemy before he can strike.

Not once does he say Mission Accomplished.

How politics gets people killed...

Condoleezza Rice, who is now in control of Iraq policy in a way no one has been, has spearheaded a political-military strategy for Iraq that is sophisticated and workable.

Many Democrats are understandably enraged by an administration that has acted in an unethical, highly partisan and largely incompetent fashion in Iraq. But in responding in equally partisan fashion they could well precipitate a tragedy. Just as our Iraq policy has been getting on a firmer footing, the political dynamic in Washington could move toward a panicked withdrawal.

To oversimplify, after two years of pretending that it was not engaged in nation-building in Iraq, the administration has accepted reality. Instead of simply chasing insurgents or hunkering down in large armed camps, the military is now moving to "clear, hold and build," in Rice's words. If this trend continues, it means that securing the population and improving the lives of people has become the key measure of success in Iraq. This shift is two years late—call it the education of Donald Rumsfeld and Dick Cheney—but better now than never.

To understand the change, look at the airport road to Baghdad. For two years, when reporters would ask how it was possible that the mightiest military in history could not secure a five-kilometer stretch of road, the military responded with long, jargon-filled lectures on the inherent weakness of long supply lines and the complex nature of Baghdad's urban topography. Then one day this summer the military was ordered to secure the road and use more troops if necessary. Presto. Using Iraqi forces, the road was secured. Similar strategies have made cities like Najaf, Mosul, Tall Afar and even Fallujah much safer today than they were a year ago.

Would you care to comment on this.
It looks like another lib commentary to me.
It looks like this guy is writing a commentary based on just what he's seen on tv. :confused:

catocom said:
Would you care to comment on this.
It looks like another lib commentary to me.
It looks like this guy is writing a commentary based on just what he's seen on tv. :confused:

He's an Arab editorialist for Newsweek. While he seems to be liberal, he's actually a moderate. That's why I highlighted his support of Condi Rice. She is giving a very clear vision on what needs to be done, and it's getting done (very conservative viewpoint BTW). At the same time, he's telling the Democrats to look at the big picture, and think of Iraqi stability instead of placing their choice upon the pedestal of the presidency.

speaking of partisanship
Many Democrats are understandably enraged by an administration that has acted in an unethical, highly partisan and largely incompetent fashion in Iraq.
Holy crap, that looks like opinion journalism.

Back