Uterus transplant may enable pregnancy

Professur

Source

By MARILYNN MARCHIONE, AP Medical Writer Mon Jan 15, 11:25 PM ET

A New York hospital is taking steps to offer the nation's first uterus transplant, a radical experiment that might allow women whose wombs were removed or are defective to bear children.

The wombs would come from dead donors, just as most other organs do, and would be removed after the recipient gives birth so she would not need anti-rejection drugs her whole life.

The hospital's ethics board has conditionally approved the plans, although the hospital's president warned women not to get false hopes because a transplant is not expected "any time in the near future.... (more)

Rank this one right up there with discovering how to grow blue roses when you're getting paid to find a cure for cancer.

MrBishop

I know at least one woman who'd disagree with you.... she wants kids, but had to have her uterus removed a few years ago.

This is hardly blue roses material.

tonksy

No...but these things can be removed in a hospital without the need for dying and the organ can then be shipped.

tonksy

Maybe those donors but I'm branching out, see.
Besides, it's my organ and I am not using it anymore - I can sell er...donate it for a modest stipend to cover my hospital expenses and pain and suffering ;)

Gotholic

Source

Rank this one right up there with discovering how to grow blue roses when you're getting paid to find a cure for cancer.

Add this one too:

FDA approves doggie diet pill

OUR HEALTH: CANINE WATCH

The Food and Drug Administration says a new prescription diet pill for dogs reduces appetite and fat absorption, leading to weight loss.

Slentrol, also called dirlotapide, is prescribed by a veterinarian based on the dog's weight and general health.

"Dog obesity appears to be increasing," said Stephen Sundlof, director of FDA's Center for Veterinary Medicine.

Fat dogs are at risk of health problems ranging from heart disease to diabetes and arthritis.

Veterinarians generally define a dog that weighs 20 percent more than its ideal weight as obese.

Surveys have found that approximately 5 percent of dogs in the United States are obese, and another 20 percent to 30 percent are overweight.

Slentrol, approved last week, is an elective microsomal triglyceride transfer protein inhibitor, which blocks the assembly and release of lipoproteins into the bloodstream.

Source

If your dog is fat then feed him less!

America, where we have the luxury of wasting money for research and development for our pets. Ridiculous.

I'm glad our country has its priorities straight. :rolleyes:

chcr

Too cute for words
If your dog is fat then feed him less!

1. She's a her.
2. When she loses enough weight, she catches rabbits to supplement what we feed her (the wife hates this BTW) and starts gaining weight again.
3. It will be a cold day somewhere very, very warm before I pay good money for a diet pill for a dog that happily munches away on week old raw rabbit (and cat poo when she can get it).

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Since she's proven her capabilities to provide for herself, let her do it. No more Kibbles & Bits for her.

tonksy

LOL...I don't know about dogs but my cats, who frequently provide for themselves, will find ways of making you pay for an empty food bowl.

chcr

Too cute for words
Since she's proven her capabilities to provide for herself, let her do it. No more Kibbles & Bits for her.

That won't work. If I don't feed her kibble morning and evening, she'll start making sad puppy-dog eyes at Dara and get a whole bowl full whenever she wants it. Then she'll be really fat. Dara's a sucker and Emmy Lou is really good at the "I'm so mistreated" sigh and eye contact thing.