We're finally going to do it.

greenfreak

My mother made the very generous offer to pay for Rusty and I to finally be married.

We've been together for six years, very happy, married in every sense except for having a piece of paper saying so. We've held off because we're not religious and we don't need that paper to know we want to spend the rest of our lives together. We're also lazy and would rather spend money on our first house, which we plan to do in about a year to a year and a half.

Mom is estatic, making guest lists already. I keep nagging her that I don't want to plan anything until both my parents discuss it and come to an agreement on a dollar amount. Since the guest list right now stands at about 80, it's not going to be something that breaks the bank but my parents are retired and on a budget.

So far, I know we want it to be an outdoor setting, in a garden or by water. I'd prefer a garden, myself. Rusty says there's only a few things he'd like a real hand in deciding, like the food and the photographer. Everything else I decide will probably be fine.

I don't want a diamond ring, I want an emerald. I think all of you can pretty much figure out why, it really has nothing to do with money. But it's also a perk that we aren't going to drop a few thousand on a diamond. I don't even wear rings.

I will have a green dress. Not lime green or forest green, more like a white wedding dress with a minty green hue. I've seen them when helping friends shopping for dresses, they looked pretty damn cool.

And no bridesmaids and ushers. Not a big fan of that whole thing. Instead, I want all 9 nieces and nephews to preceed us down the aisle. They range in age from 15, 14, 13, 12, 7, 5, 4, 3 and 1 so it should be pretty cute. (the infant might be a problem, but I don't want to exclude him so my oldest neice may hold him)

I would love some advice, things to watch out for, horror stories I can learn from, etc. Since my Mom helped plan four weddings already, she knows what she's doing, and she's a supreme haggler, so I'm in good hands.

By the way, Ku'u? If we can afford it, we decided we're coming to your neck of the woods for the honeymoon. :D

Uki Chick

WOOHOO! CONGRATULATIONS FOR TAKING THE PLUNGE.

The only advise I can really give you is to make sure that all decisions and plans are ok'd with you. This is your day, not anyone elses and you want to be able to enjoy it and remember it as a great day!

Since you don't plan on getting married in a church, you don't have to worry. Our priest got into a fight with the photographer and kicked him out. He also stopped the ceremony 3 times.

HomeLAN

First of all, a huge congrats!

Second, if possible, keep your Mom out of the choice of caterer. My mother-in-law chose ours, she ended up being barely up to par, and as a result my guilty feeling mother-in-law spent large chunks of our wedding celebration bailing her ass out in the kitchen. I understand it might be touchier when she's footing the bill, but try not to let her get too invested in the folks who will do the thing.

Dave

Congratulations!

cant offer any advice as i havent gone down that road yet but i will watch this thread with interest.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
First, congratulations!

Now for the tips:

1. Wedding cake tastes like wedding cake. They all taste the same. You won't even remember what it tasted like. Save some cash, shop around for the cake.

2. Be frugal with the catering. No one goes to a wedding for the food. Let 'em eat...well, cake!

3. Register for your gifts. Be specific. Then be gracious when 41.3% of the stuff is not what you wanted anyway. It's called return policies...they are your friends.

4. WHEN (not if) guests, relatives, or friends start bitching about the ceremony or anything to do with it, cut 'em loose in your mind. This is your day, not theirs. Let no one or no thing ruin it for you.

5. Wear comfortable shoes. Fashion be damned.

6. Don't sweat every detail to the point of becoming frantic. It is supposed to be a happy day; make sure it is and let the rest slide.

7. If you blast off a week before the wedding, stay the fuck out of New Mexico.

kuulani

greenfreak said:
By the way, Ku'u? If we can afford it, we decided we're coming to your neck of the woods for the honeymoon. :D

:headbang: If you do come, I promise I won't be barging in on you at all hours of the day ... I'll leave you guys alone for a few hours, at least ;)

as for advice, my hubby & i eloped, kind of, with only our parents & siblings present. the judge was kind enough to come out to our aunt's beach home so it was lovely! it was low-key, low-stress, & totally fun!

HomeLAN

One more thing - most big stores will turn you loose with a scanner gun when you register. That's a serious blast. Have fun with it.

Liliandra

Congrats!!!!

Hopefully will be thinking the same thoughts soon enough, but about 3 years away at least for me....

Do have fun with the scan thingy... it's a blast, lol...

TexasRaceLady

The best advice I can offer

1. Keep it simple. Forget the froofroo stuff that nobody really cares about anyway.

2. Wear comfortable shoes and have a good time.

(((HUGS)))
Congratulations.

Winky

The best piece of advice pertains to your first paragraph.

As anyone who has experienced it, the 'piece of paper'
will change things. Everything!

For the better by the way...

Oh and yer absolutely certain ‘he’ doesn’t want to procreate, ever!

kuulani

greenfreak said:
I don't want a diamond ring, I want an emerald. I think all of you can pretty much figure out why, it really has nothing to do with money. But it's also a perk that we aren't going to drop a few thousand on a diamond. I don't even wear rings.

i don't have a diamond either ... mine's a black pearl.
& i don't wear rings either, i only wear mine when we go out on special occasions :D

Winky

OK the first line is a sentence.

Guess Mama is so old-fashioned she wants this guy to

"make an honest woman outta yah". heh