What If Noah's Ark Was Discovered?

MrBishop said:
They must've already found it eons ago...hell, there are enough bits from the original ark out there to build it 4 times over, along with bits from the cross enough to build 100 crosses, plus bits of the loin cloth, copies of the veil etc...all for sale to the nearest sucker with money.

If they do find something...carbon dating won't work (too young), so how are they planning on validating it?

That and it had been on ice for how long?
The only thing I can think of is taking a look at how it was put together and compare it to known artifacts from that era and make an asesment...

Like Les sez, there should be about 250,000 animal and insects species worth of impacted poo blowing the ship apart at the seams.... unless Gods love and protection kept them groomed and fed.

Egyptian, Chinese, and South American histories all go back about 7000 years... and yet seemingly none of their cultures mention an Earth slaying flood. Being that none of them were believers or on the animal manifest... I guess their existence is merely a figment of my imagination.

Leslie said:
I did watch a show that did show evidence of a small, localized flood. Silt, the (whichever lake it was) lake`s changing boundaries, etcetera.

So, in a way, it does make sense that within the limited scope of knowledge of the recorders of that day`s events, it seemed as if it were a worldwide flood. That area was the world to them.

So maybe some dude did save his family and some local herbivorous wildlife/farm animals by throwing them all into a boat and moving to dry land.

Epic of Gilgamesh.

unclehobart said:
How about a universal mud and silt layer all over the world within the layers of soil and rock as the scar of an apocalypic flood would do? I guess God made that all go 'poof' as well.
No small number of people think such evidence actually exists.

catocom said:
Um, it's already been proven that there can't be anything left of the ark,
that would be on top of the ground now.
Rot/decay, and or erosion would have long ago taken anything left of it away, in that area.
I don't know what Ararat's conditions are, but you are likely right. Only two conditions tend to preserve wood - extremely boggy or arid environments. Unless the wood is petrified, and again, that takes certain conditions to occur.

MrBishop said:
They must've already found it eons ago...hell, there are enough bits from the original ark out there to build it 4 times over, along with bits from the cross enough to build 100 crosses, plus bits of the loin cloth, copies of the veil etc...all for sale to the nearest sucker with money.

If they do find something...carbon dating won't work (too young), so how are they planning on validating it?

Last time I checked, carbon dating was effective between 1950AD, and 60,000 BP. In any case, if they can't find a reasonable carbon sample, then I would imagine that they would validate it how they usually do in archaeological sites using both radiometrical (absolute) and non-radiometrical (relative) means (e.g. stratigraphy, dendrochronology, obsidian hydration dating, and radiocarbon dating).

Considering all history back then was oral tradition (no jokes please) exact measurements being passed down would be highly unlikely.

It could be the story of people migrating during an ice age, and the story passed down and down till eventually it was passed down in a fishing village, so they added a boat, as cultures tend to add stuff that is integral to their way of life.

BeardofPants said:
Last time I checked, carbon dating was effective between 1950AD, and 60,000 BP. In any case, if they can't find a reasonable carbon sample, then I would imagine that they would validate it how they usually do in archaeological sites using both radiometrical (absolute) and non-radiometrical (relative) means (e.g. stratigraphy, dendrochronology, obsidian hydration dating, and radiocarbon dating).
Granted...but the acuracy is not exact. Just how much geomorphic activity has there been in that area in the past 3000 years? Wind and water erosion? etc... hell, the biblical dating techinique is subjective. They can't even pinpoint the date where the flood supposedly happened...they're using the age of a few people noted in the Bible and assuming that everyone lived to the same age or had children at the same time etc... using the book of Matthew, they're approximating a timeline. Hell, the calendars have changed twice since then.

They could very well be off by 1000 years and give a false positive result.

*nods
Yep, yep, stratigraphy's a bitch, eh? ;)

<edit> Those are problems that will always plague field work. The best bet is to use a variety of methods and use them to cross-check each other... as I'm sure you know. The four that I mentioned as examples are the most common, but there are certainly other methods that can be used as well, eg. pollen samples, geo-magnetic reversals (not so reliable), etc, etc.

Uncle pissy said:
Gonz said:
Be nice...the reason they can't gt there to investigate is the Turkish gov't has declared to area off limits & the military keeps it secure ;)
There've been around about 100 expeditions just since the 1949 photograph. Get your facts straight. Or, you could book your own tour and look for yourself. Yeah, they don't let anyone in there with the exception of everybody. :rolleyes:

For a self-professed atheist, you sure blindly believe everything they tell you. :lol:

DOWN BOY!!!!

;) did you miss THAT part?

As chcr and others have mentioned flood stories exist in many cultures. The Epic Gilgamesh is nearly the same as the Noah story. I wouldn’t doubt that at some point a large scale flood destroyed many parts of the area as it is located near a massive chain of mountains that produce regular seasonal floods.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/db/Turkey_topo.jpg

Similarly, the city of Troy has recently been found and it was considered mythical for thousands of years. However, the evidence of the city does not in anyway qualify the existence of a pantheon of Greek gods.

If a boat was found on the mountain it would no more be proof of God than Troy is the proof of Greek gods.

ekahs retsam said:
As chcr and others have mentioned flood stories exist in many cultures. The Epic Gilgamesh is nearly the same as the Noah story. I wouldn’t doubt that at some point a large scale flood destroyed many parts of the area as it is located near a massive chain of mountains that produce regular seasonal floods.

Another point many seem to miss is this: If you've never been more than 50 miles from where you were born and neither has anyone you've ever met, the whole world is not such a big place.

Wouldnt affect me much. I would be reluctant to believe it is Noah's Ark mostly for the following reasons

1)It would be an old rotted boat. Can we be sure it was the Ark
2)The Bible is based in old myths and legends. That doesnt mean some aspects arent true, just that they are exaggerated.
3)Some evidence of the Bible I think has been found.

Back