What is love?

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Well, the title says it all. Is it a butterfly feeling in yoru stomach? Is it not being able to sleep? Is it wanting the see the person SO bad and being willing to do almost anythign to see them even though seeing them is next to impossible!

GOD ALMIGHTY! I need your help on this one! And the help of anyone else you may know please!

greenfreak

I think that probably classifies as initial infatuation. To me, the test is when those feelings subside a year or so later and is replaced by real love. When you go through changes and life-changing events together. When your bond is strong enough to withstand personality changes, age, bad times, doubt, indecision... The good stuff is easy to do, it's the not-so-good stuff that is the test.

Someone else can probably explain it better than I can. All I know is that I still smile when I think of my boyfriend, I still think about him at every turn, that I feel completely at ease with him, want to make him as happy as he makes me and have no question that I will spend the rest of my life with him. :)

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
I think greenie has it right on. There isn't much more to add. To me, it's a combination of deep friendship and continuing lust, only possible over time.

HomeLAN

Simply put, love is consistently putting the good of someone else above your own.

In practice, it colors absolutely everything you do. I work my butt off to keep a job that pays enough to support a family for it. I come home tired and then spend a couple hours watching a one year old so my wife can get a break because of it. I cook dinner and clean the kitchen nightly for it.

I haven't shopped for my own clothes for 4 years because it's returned. My son has a stable home and knows he's secure becuase at least 2 people feel it for him. Food and beer make their way into my house without me buying them because somebody loves me.

Get the picture? When you're truly in it, it has a primary effect on basically everything you do, big and small.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Yeah, that's what I thought. That why i thought I was in love for two years. Now I'm not sure....

greenfreak

The title of this thread keeps making me think of the Haddaway song... You know the one with the two guys from Saturday Night Live who do that skit...

Anyway, I think another question is... If you truly love someone, is it possible to stop loving them? I've wondered about that...

(edited to change my wording...)

Shadowfax

<b>mod cow</b>
greenfreak said:
Anyway, I think another question is... If you truly love someone, is it possible to stop loving them? I've wondered about that...

Yeah, I'm wondering about that too...is it possible to stop loving somebody because you can't be together with that person? Or at least not as often as you want to....?

unclehobart

I think that you can always love the inner spirit of a person.. and yet still hate someone over time for what they have become. Cheap analogy: Charles Manson. I'm sure his parents love him since hes their baby boy.. but they probably cry and hate him because of what he did as continues to do. They can always look back in their minds and hearts to the moments to the early days where the love and attraction was and still shun the modern day heartbreak.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
The best description I've ever heard for knowing you love someone is that you would give your life for them to live. I can apply this to my wife, my children, and most of my family.

greenfreak

My first 'real' boyfriend was very mean to me after we broke up and he became a very negative person but I still remember the feelings of love that I had for him then. I don't love what he's become but I guess I love what he was... :confuse3:

kuulani

Nixy said:
Yeah, that's what I thought. That why i thought I was in love for two years. Now I'm not sure....

If you're in doubt, it's not love. Don't let anyone waste your time, Nix.

greenfreak

Nix, you're not sure you ever loved him or you're not sure you *still* love him? If you think your feelings for him and you two as a couple are waning, that's one of those trials that I was talking about... That's the real test. Good luck with it, I hope you figure it out...

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I'm not sure if I *still* do.

He says he is fed up with the entire thing.

greenfreak

Fed up with being with you?? Was that said in anger, or while you were having a rational discussion? Basically, he's decided he wants to give up on it?

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
The last few times? Rational conversation. Yeah, that's basically it, he is giving up says he's "not sure if it's true love and wants to find something else to compare it against and if it turns out htis is real will kick himself forever."