What Paris Hilton really fears

But at least I could chaulk that up to creative experimenting which is, at least, educational.

Try to remember that after they have been playing the flute for 4 hours without any remote similarity to a melody :p

Tell Rob not to feel so bad. I was the other way around -- I'd heard of Nelly Furtado and when I was driving past a CD store, I saw the "Nellyville coming soon" posters and thought it was a little soon for Nelly Furtado to have a new album coming out since "I'm Like a Bird" was still being overplayed by the local radio station.

But at least I could chaulk that up to creative experimenting which is, at least, educational.

Try to remember that after they have been playing the flute for 4 hours without any remote similarity to a melody :p

Buy them two recorders and an instructional DVD. They'll be playing stuff related to music the first day, I promise. If you really want them to learn that is.

Notes on recorders: Plastic ones can be had for around seven bucks or so, please don't buy the two dollar Walmart ones. They come in keys, get them both the same (I suggest "C"), you'll be really sorry if you get two that are dissonant. Do not, under any circumstances buy multiple piece ones for obvious reasons. ;) Later, when (if) they get really good you'll want a three piece wooden ones and harmonizing keys.

Edit: oh yeah, watch out for baroque fingering since any instructions are unlikely to cover it.

I think every child above the age of four should be given a C recorder but then I'm prejudiced.

Thanks, Chic. I had been thinking on that awhile ago and I'm glad to hear your advice on it. We have a music store just up the road so I'll pop in next time I'm in the shopping center.
Rob wants to know if they have recorder music sheets for Deep Purple's Highway Star :sick4:

Thanks, Chic. I had been thinking on that awhile ago and I'm glad to hear your advice on it. We have a music store just up the road so I'll pop in next time I'm in the shopping center.
Rob wants to know if they have recorder music sheets for Deep Purple's Highway Star :sick4:

No. Can't he transpose the piano music? :lloyd:

Edit: oh yeah, watch out for baroque fingering since any instructions are unlikely to cover it.

Did you hear about the man who was so baroque he robbed a music store? He made off with the lute. His friend took a drum and beat it.

Buy them two recorders and an instructional DVD. They'll be playing stuff related to music the first day, I promise. If you really want them to learn that is.

Notes on recorders: Plastic ones can be had for around seven bucks or so, please don't buy the two dollar Walmart ones. They come in keys, get them both the same (I suggest "C"), you'll be really sorry if you get two that are dissonant. Do not, under any circumstances buy multiple piece ones for obvious reasons. ;) Later, when (if) they get really good you'll want a three piece wooden ones and harmonizing keys.

I think every child above the age of four should be given a C recorder but then I'm prejudiced.

We just finished our first recorder lesson. Not too shabby. Not too smooth either but after Sissy threw her "it's too hard" fit she did rather well. We learned how to hold them and how to do a B note and an A note. Completely covering the holes is hard for their tiny fingers and they say it hurts but they are eager for the next lesson.
I did not get a DVD as they didn't have them but the little book I bought is rather simplistic.

They're pretty easy to play, The DVD idea was just a suggestion to make it a little easier to learn. I don't think it'll give you any trouble. Congratulations on the girls taking their first steps into a larger world.

When they learn to play "hot crossed buns" you HAVE to record it and post it!!

Back