What's up with the RW?!?

Professur

Think she ever learned the error of her ways?

Yup. Sadly, restoring a banned used wasn't something I could do back then

Interesting, so you were about to ban someone because he came close to crossing the line in your judgment.

Read it again. I wasn't about to ban him. Wanted to. Thought if anyone's behavior warranted it, it was him. But he didn't do the one thing necessary to be banned under the rules.

You allowed them to proceed and discovered that in the long run....they did in fact value. -- I am glad you barely avoided a big mistake in this single case.

Yes, I do find that very interesting.

I've had to back Gonz off several times over the years. Usually in defense of Spike. I don't often agree with Spike, but bullying was something I didn't even allow JJR to do on the board he owned.

Actually though Prof., I meant REAL power, say you're the new king of Norway. How would you rule over the unwashed masses beneath you? Would you find the phrase " good riddance" to be handy under your rule?

You see I am confused with what I have read. You seem to be quite happy with the results you didn't want to happen. Although you also seem to have some insights that I have not. The only communication I have had is "you'll get over it :)"

Which is true, I accept the actions of others is not something I can control. However, I find it odd that inside jokes are placed upon me, ones that make people giggle and yet I'm suppose to be unaware of it. -- It does confuse me. I'm told insulting people is bad-- but that only seems matters if the object of disaffection knows about it.

very nice.

I thought I'd made this clear ... my opinions are my own. The rules are something else. Power is only to be applied within the rules, and to enforce the rules. King of Norway, or moderator of Sci-tech. If the rules say that abortion is legal, it's legal, regardless of my opinion as king.

Am I happy that the RW is gone? Honestly ... no. I think it's removal is a terrible failure and I'm disappointed that it was allowed to get to the point where that was the only option. I'd have far preferred that the discussions remain discussions and can only hold the staff responsible for allowing them to degenerate as they did. That so many of the staff left rather than remedy the situation speaks of failures all around, as does the fact that they were never replaced.

ResearchMonkey

Read it again. I wasn't about to ban him. Wanted to. Thought if anyone's behavior warranted it, it was him. But he didn't do the one thing necessary to be banned under the rules.
Semantics, but I accept your clear point.

I've had to back Gonz off several times over the years. Usually in defense of Spike. I don't often agree with Spike, but bullying was something I didn't even allow JJR to do on the board he owned.
Interesting, you must be where Gonz learned it. He contacted me several times recently and offered me good advice in the form of 'options'. I made and effort adhere to his suggestions.

I thought I'd made this clear ... my opinions are my own. The rules are something else. Power is only to be applied within the rules, and to enforce the rules. King of Norway, or moderator of Sci-tech. If the rules say that abortion is legal, it's legal, regardless of my opinion as king.
Yes, you own your opinions and I respect that. Abortion may be the law, but I believe that loud and strong voices are capable of changing that that law.

Am I happy that the RW is gone? Honestly ... no. I think it's removal is a terrible failure and I'm disappointed that it was allowed to get to the point where that was the only option. I'd have far preferred that the discussions remain discussions and can only hold the staff responsible for allowing them to degenerate as they did. That so many of the staff left rather than remedy the situation speaks of failures all around, as does the fact that they were never replaced.
Was it a failure? -- Sometimes people surrounded by death and mutilation ask the question: "is freedom worth all this"..... usually the answer is yes. -- Sometimes that same destruction is brought by the abject failure to freely confront with heavy handed discussion.

Closing the RW was not the only option, just the easiest.

BTW, I just want to state, i am not picking a fight.

MrBishop

Interesting philosophy. I guess the truth outs when they're not signing the paycheque anymore.

twas a joke...and like a lot of jokes, has a grain of truth init.
Many people who get religion can easily be described as moral busybodies, eh

*Oh, as an aside, the 'church' was well aware of how I felt about some of their practices, including evangelism. I still feel that the church can accomplish good things through charitable works. Everything else is unnecessary, including but not solely the two palaces that the Archbishop of Canterbury lives in.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
The RW is not closed. Yet.

However...it's gone well beyond politics. It's become a personal battleground. I'm all for, as we all know, a full blown cutthroat debate over whatever the ideological problem is at the moment.

Unfortunately, we have two people who fancy themselves above the fray but have no problem calling someone stupid (get a thesaurus if that's not exact enough) & tell the rest what an idiotic thread this is. Then we have two liberals (yes mark, you are a lib) who refuse to answer direct questions, instead they dance around the head of the pin. Most of our other conservative members have taken to belittling & bashing instead of proving a point & moving on. the rest pop in & out, say something (on or off topic, it depends) & then complain about the RW.

Can we debate the issue & all surrounding issues instead of listening to complaints about what an asshat Winky is or how moronic randomJackass is? If you have nothing to contribute other than putdowns, maybe you can STFU.

I want absolute free speech, short of personal attacks. It got shut down because of first grade antics. When I've gone so far as to suggest shutting it down, something is wrong. I love politcs. It is a blood sport.

Where do we go from here?

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
The RW is not closed. Yet.

However...it's gone well beyond politics. It's become a personal battleground. I'm all for, as we all know, a full blown cutthroat debate over whatever the ideological problem is at the moment.

Unfortunately, we have two people who fancy themselves above the fray but have no problem calling someone stupid (get a thesaurus if that's not exact enough) & tell the rest what an idiotic thread this is. Then we have two liberals (yes mark, you are a lib) who refuse to answer direct questions, instead they dance around the head of the pin. Most of our other conservative members have taken to belittling & bashing instead of proving a point & moving on. the rest pop in & out, say something (on or off topic, it depends) & then complain about the RW.

Can we debate the issue & all surrounding issues instead of listening to complaints about what an asshat Winky is or how moronic randomJackass is? If you have nothing to contribute other than putdowns, maybe you can STFU.

I want absolute free speech, short of personal attacks. It got shut down because of first grade antics. When I've gone so far as to suggest shutting it down, something is wrong. I love politcs. It is a blood sport.

Where do we go from here?

autoban the first person who says strawman?

ResearchMonkey

deathguildthunderdome.jpg

THUNDERDOME

But that just me.​

It is a blood sport and hope that value remains. I will, as I agreed with Gonz, to make a better effort to approach the issue directly and pull back on the insults for fun and pleasure.

....and Winky is an ass-hat, trufax.

ResearchMonkey

stricter rules, banhammer at the ready.

I miss debating stuff.

I don't know if stricter rules are the solution's. The rules tend to address the symptoms more than the underlying issues. Stricter rules that are easy to create usually address the more obvious symptoms and protect the piss-poor under lying behaviors that lead to the more obvious problems (like I am pretty guilty of).

As I stated in another thread; I think respect is earned and afford a large degree of protection from verbal attack. If your behaviors are abysmal you are likely to be slaughtered.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
As I stated in another thread; I think respect is earned and afford a large degree of protection from verbal attack. If your behaviors are abysmal you are likely to be slaughtered.

the respect has been gone for awhile, don't know if it will ever be back. It's a disease that spread to every other corner of this board, so patient zero is now in quarantine.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
We must understand "respect" differently.

oops, I meant the disrespect has spread like a disease. But once you lose respect for people it's hard to get back, I have people say things to me in here, by PM and karma that has really made me realize that to me, they are worthless human beings, not worth the saliva is they were on fire.

Makes debating at a rational level difficult.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
That is the catch...allowing full scale debate requires the participants to act like adults.

ResearchMonkey

oops, I meant the disrespect has spread like a disease. But once you lose respect for people it's hard to get back, I have people say things to me in here, by PM and karma that has really made me realize that to me, they are worthless human beings, not worth the saliva is they were on fire.

Makes debating at a rational level difficult.
effort.

Gotholic

In my humble opinion, here is my solution...

Bring back the AUP. Perhaps refine it if need be. Enforce the rules much stricter in the RW forum and have special rules for it. Give everyone a fresh start for the RW forum. Violators after three warnings are banned from the RW forum, not the board, for three months. If it is warranted that the same person needs to be banned again later when he returns, then it is for six months. The third offense would be banned for a year from the RW forum.

By doing this, the offenders that are ruining the RW forum are cut out from the forum, not the board, and are still allowed to post around the board thus it would hurt the board as a whole to ban a member from the forum.

The RW forum is the beef of the board. Most other forums just contain idle talk. If it is ever going to be gone for good it will hurt the board.