Witchcraft

catocom

Man Who Made Predictions on TV Now on Saudi Death Row for 'Witchcraft'

A man has been sentenced to death in Saudi Arabia for witchcraft because he makes predictions on television.

Ali Sibat is not even a Saudi national. The Lebanese citizen was only visiting Saudi Arabia on pilgrimage when he was arrested in Medina last year.

A court in the city condemned him as a witch on Nov. 9.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,576812,00.html?test=latestnews

seems kinda strange ...a man as a witch
I thought they were considered sorcerers

like this other case
In another case the religious police are said to have arrested for "sorcery" and "charlatanry" an Asian man accusing him of using supernatural powers to solve marital disputes and induce others to fall in love.
I wonder if they consider wizards to be witches, and or sorcerers too,
or if it's just if they practice 'unholy' stuff.

2minkey

bootlicker
but then that's just your opinion ... isn't it?
It cannot be definitively proven either way, except though individual belief, right?

nothing has even been "proven" through belief.

you know this well: faith and science have nothing to do with one another, except in the minds and agendas of the foolish.

it's not bish's opinion - it is more the real case rather than what the foolish and desperate political agenda of the church pulled out of its sad imagination.

witches have never been a threat to anyone or anything. they serve important roles in traditional societies.

it is only when a powerful political body needs something to distract followers from its own inadequacies and shittiness that there is a "witch problem." or a "jew problem," a "negro problem," et cetera.

MrBishop

but then that's just your opinion ... isn't it?
It cannot be definitively proven either way, except though individual belief, right?

It was just another religion in the region that needed shutting down. Mostly women who performed healing using herbs, some divination and midwifery. Unfortunately, people went to them for their problems and we can't have that, now can we?

2minkey

bootlicker
It was just another religion in the region that needed shutting down. Mostly women who performed healing using herbs, some divination and midwifery. Unfortunately, people went to them for their problems and we can't have that, now can we?

now thems alterna_folks got not only the largely disempowered church but also western biomedicine as competing streams of discourse. the falwell types too i suppose.

god forbid the people do something for themselves without the intervention or approval of authority. wow now i sound like peel!

MrBishop

Certain aspects are still facing boundaries. We used a midwife for our kids..hell, I delivered them personally. The number of hoops and red-tape that we had to go through in order to get this service was astounding.

"It's not natural, nor safe"
:rolleyes:

See also health-foods and generic pharmaceuticals.

catocom

lol, I was looking at some of the responses here, and thought...
that's why I like the diversity on this board...
Several responses here that are not even in the realm of my personal thought process.
Totally unexpected.
I don't particularly agree with many of um, but very enlighten none the less.:D

ResearchMonkey

"It's not natural, nor safe"
:rolleyes:
That's a shame, really. As long theres known problem it should be just fine to DIY.

I'm not surprised about SA witch hunting. The point of what a witch is, well it differs around the world with cultures. I don't think your going to nail it to a specific.

2minkey

bootlicker
That's a shame, really. As long theres known problem it should be just fine to DIY.

I'm not surprised about SA witch hunting. The point of what a witch is, well it differs around the world with cultures. I don't think your going to nail it to a specific.

bet i could.

maybe later.

jimpeel

Man Who Made Predictions on TV Now on Saudi Death Row for 'Witchcraft'

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,576812,00.html?test=latestnews

seems kinda strange ...a man as a witch
I thought they were considered sorcerers

Women are Witches. Men are Warlocks.

war⋅lock

–noun
1. a man who practices the black arts; a male witch; sorcerer.
2. a fortuneteller or conjurer.
Origin:
bef. 900; ME warloghe, -lach, OE wǣrloga oathbreaker, devil, equiv. to wǣr covenant + -loga betrayer (deriv. of lēogan to lie)
Dictionary.com Unabridged
Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2009.