Witchcraft

MrBishop

What I meant is that some people are labelled as witches or Wica, or fortune-tellers, or gypsies, or pagans or druids etc...some label themselves in the same way. Using any term to pidgeon-hole someone as 'evil' :shrug: Doesn't wash w/me

jimpeel

Depends on the person you're speaking to...Wicca being the modern all-encompassing term for any nature-based religion. Similar to 'pagan'

Wiccans get all upset at the Halloween depictions of Witches and get all defensive about it.

MrBishop

Ya got unusually thin skinned Wiccans near ya, Jim.
The ones that I know love the Feast of Samhain...regardless of how other people use it.
Much like Christians still like Christmas despite the commercialization of it.

Same could be said of Yule, I suppose.

catocom

in Webster's the very definition of evil is 'wicked':shrug:

If one doesn't believe in Hell, why would the word 'evil' offend?

catocom

why would evil offend if you believe in hell, you have the inbuilt excuse of....the devil made me do it.

I didn't say it would necessarily if one believed in it, only 'why would if you didn't'.
If one does believe in it, and worships in that direction, it also wouldn't,
but if one worships not in that direction, still believing, being called evil would Then offend.

At least that's the way it seems to me.:shrug:

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
really, I thought religion excused you from personal responsibility.

Most religions don't. That's a bad interpretation and a rather common plea from those who hold none. What they do is establish a moral compass.

pv said:
It's gods will etc.

Once again...that's a bad interpretation. Its used, more often than not, as a tool of oppression and terror...how can a man know God's will?

chcr

Too cute for words
Most religions don't. That's a bad interpretation and a rather common plea from those who hold none. What they do is establish a moral compass.
...and of course this implies that atheists can't possibly have morals, just customs.

Society establishes a moral compass and religions adapt to it or fade into obscurity. Just look at how the west's "moral compass" has changed over the last 500 years.

catocom

Mat 7:13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life,
and few there be that find it.