Would you like that super-sized?

CydCharisse

Obseity is a world-wide concern right now. First off, let me clear the fact that I am NOT prejudice against obese people. I have two aunts that I love that are both 300 pounds plus and I fear for their lives.

In the past 20 years, the basic burger has doubled in size. A queen-sized bed is six inches wider, and your average dinner plate is 125%(!) bigger. But marketers don't want you to think you're getting bigger-so a size 10 dress in the 1940s would compare to a size 2 today.

Food:
bigger, not better
THEN: 1942 Original Kellogg's Raisin Bran Box, 15 oz. NOW: 25.5oz.
THEN: 1980 Dunkin' Donuts coffee cream and sugar, 10 oz., 120 calories NOW: 24 oz., 530 calories
THEN: 1955 Original McDonald's combo meal, 600 calories NOW: 1550 calories !!

The world is expanding
CHINA 20% are overweight
INDIA 55%
RUSSIA 31%
AUSTRALIA 22%
UK 20%
USA 78% of African Americans, 72% od Hispanics, 58% of caucasion

It's cheaper to eat fat
$1=
73 McDonald's fries
12 Chips Ahoy cookies
1.3 apples
1/7 of a Greek salad

What else is getting bigger?
bus seats: In 1997, the average seat was 17 inches wide in 2003 it is 18 inches wide
Homes: in 1970 the average home was 1400 square feet, now 2200 square feet
Coffins: 20 years ago 22.5 inches wide, Now 44 inches wide
Bra size: average size in 1991 was 34B now it is 36C

Marketing tricks that make you eat more
bite size candies: smaller pieces, but you eat more in total. Six bite-size sneakers equal one bar

General fact: Those who dwell in surburban areas are 6 pounds heavier than those who live in the city. Suburb people travel 99% of the time in their car, while city folk walk to 50%-70% of their destinations

What do you think about this? Whose fault is it? Is it the person's own fault or is the food companies and resturants?

Facts:

The human body naturally puts on 2 pounds every year. That's 10 pounds in 5 years! To avoid the extra 2 pounds, walk 1,000 more steps everyday. How? Park at the end of the parking lot, take the stairs instead of the elevator (works great for me since I fear elevators), or if you have a dog, dust off that leash and take each other for a walk around the neighborhood

85% of people in a recent survey said they were told to clear their dinner plates when they were young.

87% of people go out to a fast food resturant at least once a week

15% of people exericise on a regular basis

Fat grams are not the only culprit to weight gain. Carbs and sugars can be more "deadly" than fat grams. White carbs are bad (white bread and rice). Brown carbs are good (brown rice, grain bread). Sugars turn to fat if they are not burned through physical activity.

(research from Marie Claire, Allure, Cosmopolitan, and Internet surfing)

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
It's cheaper to eat fat
$1=
73 McDonald's fries
12 Chips Ahoy cookies
1.3 apples
1/7 of a Greek salad

Which is why most poor are fat. In order to feed the family it's cheaper to buy lots of crap.

IDLEchild

Processed foods are cheaper to produce and cheaper to sell and cheaper to afford. The harm is they are laced with sugar and fat to make up for flavor. They are attarctive to kids and sold in great quantities due to their lucrative price and taste.

4 bags of chips for a dollar is readily avaliable to a young child instead of a red, organic apple for the same price or in abundance.

What do you think about this? Whose fault is it? Is it the person's own fault or is the food companies and resturants?

While corporations always were and will be bastards it is ultimetly the consumers responsibility to know what they consume. Blaming someone else for your indiscretions is childish and ignorant. All those law suits against Mcdonalds should be dropped due to nonsense.

If you doubt the health benefits of the foods you eat then it is up to you to find out of their harms and benefits.

Parents, especially, should monitor their kids eating habits as much as they can. They can not control them at school but they can teach them of the harms these food provide and hope for the best.

BlurOfSerenity

yay!! i'm one of the 58%!! :D

interesting stats, cyd!!

everyone at work always look at me like i'm insane when i walk into the breakroom during my break with a huge slice of that pizza that they sell there, and i say,
"oooh!! it's JUST how i like it today! the topping slides around when you pick it up!!"
they say, "you mean, you LIKE it greasy???" and i'm like, "HELL YEAH!!!"

i love my food.

and i love being a bigger girl.

and i know i'm in the vast minority on the second part there, but i know i'm fuckin' hott.

i know i'll prolly pay for it all later, but i havent gained a pound in three years; i've maintained my weight at a pretty steady 180 lbs.

and the slice of pizza is not generally indicative of my eating habits, lol. i mostly eat stuff that's pretty good for me:)

IDLEchild

i love my food.

and i love being a bigger girl.

and i know i'm in the vast minority on the second part there, but i know i'm fuckin' hott.

While i commend your self attitude, i really do (trust me, i know many whinos) i can't help but think that such self assurance and self acceptance of such a state of health acts as a road barrier rather than a motivational factor for ones psyche.

If being a little more tough on yourself drives you to lose weight then it does no harm. Seeing yourself in a somewhat neagtive light isn't so bad is it?

But forgive me...i am grotesquily simplyfying my point....each case is very unique and individual and yours is no exception.

tommyj27

Not really Banned
since sept. I've gained maybe 1-2lbs. from lifting but i'm still down prolly 5-7 from 12 months ago. exercising is great stress relief too, i wish i would have made it out today, i could have used to stress relief.

as far as eating right, i do try to watch what i eat, but it's more to make sure i'm getting enough of things i need. i don't worry about eating crap but i'm too stingy to pay for eating out. you can eat healthy for just as cheap as a big mac and fries, you just have to know where to shop.

Inkara1

I've been hovering around 245 or so for several months now. I'd kinda like to bring that down, but I don't know how serious I'll ever get about that. If I could shed 40 or 50 pounds, I'd be happier than a pig in shit.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
aside from all the greediness and fast food...

it's the roids and other hormones in the cow's milk that we shouldn't be drinking/eating that's causing a big part of human hugeness in these parts :shrug:

Rose

I worry about obesity. It doesn't necessarily run in my family, but there's plenty in my husbands family and I have a few in mine as well. I've always been a bit bigger than average, topping out at about 170 pounds last year. I've been changing my eating habits and have been floating in the 145-150 pound range (lots of water).

I'm really surprised that in the US there are more black people obese than white people. I really would have thought it the other way around.

I don't think it is the 'fault' of the food industry, however. It doesn't take a lot of common sense to know that eating McD's every day is not going to be healthy. Though I do think it is the responsibility of the food industry to offer a healthier alternative, which a lot of places seem to be doing.

Kawaii

What's the exact conversion value between pounds and kilos? I weigh about 83 kilos, 183 centimeters. Most of it is muscle, and i excercise regularly in order to maintain endurance and agility. I do have some fat i'd like to shed though... Trying, mostly failing.

tonksy

you know what i want to know? if all of my pants are too big for me now...why do i still look fat to myself? this is not cool.

tommyj27

Not really Banned
Kawaii said:
What's the exact conversion value between pounds and kilos? I weigh about 83 kilos, 183 centimeters. Most of it is muscle, and i excercise regularly in order to maintain endurance and agility. I do have some fat i'd like to shed though... Trying, mostly failing.
1 Kilogram equals 2.20462 Pounds
1 Meter equals 3.28084 Feet
that puts you at ~183lbs, 6' 0"

unclehobart

Up until May I weighed ~280. Now I weigh ~200. At 280 I had a normal self image. At 200 all I can do is quibble and fret about the pounds that I still need to lose.