173 People Killed in Madrid Explosions

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Gato_Solo said:
Linkage, please... I'm still seeing something different...:shrug:

Officials say Basque militants from Eta are the main suspects, but the group is said to have denied involvement.

A message purportedly from the Abu Hafs al-Masri Brigades was also sent to a UK-based Arabic newspaper saying it had attacked "America's ally in its war against Islam" on behalf of al-Qaeda.

The ruling Popular Party campaigned on a hardline stance against Eta, but it also defied popular opposition by supporting the US-led war against Iraq - which may have triggered an attack by al-Qaeda.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3506352.stm

It isn't official, yet.

Luis G

Staff member
Yeah, I know, but from what i've read from local news and bbc the spaniard goverment has no certainty of wether the attack was made by alqaeda or eta. :shrug:

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Luis G said:
Yeah, I know, but from what i've read from local news and bbc the spaniard goverment has no certainty of wether the attack was made by alqaeda or eta. :shrug:

Maybe it was France, jealous over the superior Spanish wines... ;)

MrBishop

Don't mind me...jsut tossing in another wrench into the works
The attack occurred exactly 2 1/2 years after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks in the United States — and there 911 days in between the terror attacks in Madrid and those in New York and Washington. It also was Europe's worst terror attack since the 1988 bombing of a Pan Am jetliner over Lockerbie, Scotland, killed 270 people.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Some idiot actually took the time to count the days? Did they remember leap year?

Luis G

Staff member
I took the time to count the days after i read that, it gives 911 if you don't count 2004 as a leap year.

365 x 2 = 730
730 + 30 (sept) + 31 (oct) + 30 (nov) + 31 (dec) + 31 (ene) + 29 (feb) = 912

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Well then it wasn't 911 days, how could they miss leap day when it was only 12 days back? Stupid terrorists.

G4

It seems that the spanish government isn´t openly admitting that this looks like an al-qaeda piece of work becouse that would severly damage the government´s popularity, just a day before elections. Most spaniards opposed the idea of atacking Iraq and drawing international terrorist´s attention towards Spain. We have enough with our own endemic terrorist problem.

ris

it's not great if it's eta either, i am lead to believe the spanish government has been making a fair amount of how much it has done to break eta up, and has been claiming it is now a spent force.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Historically, toward the end, the enemy makes the greatest push & does the most short term damage. Much like an all or nothing attack. Possibly, the Spanish government is correct in its assumptions.

MrBishop

Just heard it on the radio...5 arrested. 3 Morrocans and 2 Indians??!?

What the fuck the Spaniards did to India is beyond me.
They'va also arrested two Spanish citizens of Indian decent...???!?!?

WTF!

chcr

Too cute for words
MrBishop said:
Just heard it on the radio...5 arrested. 3 Morrocans and 2 Indians??!?

What the fuck the Spaniards did to India is beyond me.
They'va also arrested two Spanish citizens of Indian decent...???!?!?

WTF!

Terrorists usually don't have a rational reason, just a ratioanlized one.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Maybe if Spain just apologized to the bogewman all will be okay...

Bish...they aren't muslims radicals - isn't that enough?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
all they need is one

MADRID, Spain - Spain's interior minister said Sunday a videotape has been discovered claiming al-Qaida carried out the Madrid terrorist attacks and threatening more, but that he could not verify the veracity of the claim. Earlier, Spain arrested three Moroccans and two Indians in connection with the attacks Thursday that killed 200 people and wounded 1,500.

chcr

Too cute for words
You know, I'm perfectly willing to believe the worst of al-qaida, but I don't get it.