223.5 gigs of drive space in my near future

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Actually brand new drives you could get away with doing quick formats on. I usually do a full format the first time though, just to check for bad sectors. Full format on 230 gigs, take a good 10 - 14 hours I'd think.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Well, here I am. Outside of the format (which my computer shut off right in the middle of the first time), the install went by in record time.

THESE THINGS ARE FAST :eek: :eek:

tommyj27

Not really Banned
Mirlyn said:
Took me about 5 mins to do two 80gb on ext3 :headbang:
Yeah the ext2 filesystem is really damn fast, usually it doesn't do a badblocks check by default though, that can increase the time it take significantly, still faster than an ntfs format though

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Well that didn't take very fucking long.

Not even fuckin 12 god damn hours. Loud fucking CLANK from one of the drives, computer shuts itself off, turns back on, and now something is grinding against the goddamn fucking platters, and makes fucking click noises for about a minute then shuts its fucking self off. Of course, it's no longer recognized by the fucking RAID card.

GOD MOTHERFUCKING DAMNIT I AM SO FUCKING PISSED!

It's not like I had enough time to put any important files on there, like say, MY WHOLE FUCKING OUTLOOK EMAIL FOLDERS

fury

Administrator
Staff member
OF ALL THE MOTHERFUCKING THINGS THAT COULD GO WRONG...

God DAMN son of a FUCKING BITCH!

GAAAAAAAAH! DAMNIT!@#$ MOTHERFUCKER!

SON OF A BITCH MOTHERFUCKER!@#

Newegg... NEWEGG! I'M GONNA FUCKING KILL YOU! I'M GONNA FUCKING KILL YOU!

tommyj27

Not really Banned
take a deep breath fury, you didn't need any of that old crap anyways, right? ok, maybe you did, that sucks arse. :(

new harddrives are such trash.

this is why we have backups.

tommyj27

Not really Banned
hey fury, you said the PCB was cracked in the shoutbox, if that's the only problem and you need to get your crap off you could try swapping the PCB with the one from your other drive. several people on my linux/tech lists have done that to retrieve data from a fuxx0r'd disk, apparently with good results.

alex

The PCB was cracked? I wouldn't have even tried to install it let alone try swapping out boards on new HDD's. That would most definately void the warranty. Trade those puppies in on a couple of Maxtor drives. I've got 6 of'em and they purr like a kitten. Heard too many horror stories about WD lately :thumbdn:

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't know the thing was cracked when I installed it. I just took them out and popped them in.

tommyj27 said:
hey fury, you said the PCB was cracked in the shoutbox, if that's the only problem and you need to get your crap off you could try swapping the PCB with the one from your other drive. several people on my linux/tech lists have done that to retrieve data from a fuxx0r'd disk, apparently with good results.

We went through that on msn, the crack dosen't seem to be over a trace, so the problems likely mechanical. Also if hes gonna rma the drive i'd rather it be untampered with as possible, he says the crack is only noticeable under light directly on it, smaller than a hairline, so i don't think theres gonna be much ruckus with the rma procedure. Also, if the crack was the issue, since its RAID 0, then the other drive needs ti be functional as well, thus the dilemna.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I've still got the one working drive, should I use it? I mean, will it really be that much faster than my 60 gig drive still?

fury

Administrator
Staff member
It was so beautiful though, the raid array. :crying3:

I benched exactly 3x (33.9kb/s) my IBM drive's score (11.3kb/s)

It was incredible. :crying3:

alex

Justintime said:
We went through that on msn, the crack dosen't seem to be over a trace, so the problems likely mechanical.

There could be a broken trace on an internal circuit layer, but from the way you described that clanking noise, it's most likely a crashed head....or a combination of both.

fury said:
I've still got the one working drive, should I use it? I mean, will it really be that much faster than my 60 gig drive still?

work it and forget the raid 0 config, you learned a valuable albeit painful lesson, if you're gonna go raid you need more than 2 drives, i'd never raid 0 a mission critical system.

tommyj27

Not really Banned
justintime said:
work it and forget the raid 0 config, you learned a valuable albeit painful lesson, if you're gonna go raid you need more than 2 drives, i'd never raid 0 a mission critical system.
i think raid 0 is about the worst conceivable idea for this exact reason. although can't you do raid 1 with two disks? is raid 1 disk mirroring?
another trick i've heard discussed for rescuing data is to drop the drive in a ziplock bag and tossing it in the freezer for a half hour or so, then firing it up and seeing what you can get before the disk warms up. i don't know what i think of that, i can only imagine the potential for shorts due to condensation.
I also figured out a good use for all that disk space :D
FLAC Info
<Sampling Info omitted>
Filesize: 27576791 B
Samples: 11403084
Length: 4:18
Avg. Bitrate: 853.2 kb/s
Compression Ratio: 60.5%