223.5 gigs of drive space in my near future

Professur

Wait a minute. My bad. I did have a drive blow up on me, kissing off my powersupply and IDE socket. But that was just old age. It was on a 486.

I once put a 168 pin DIMM backwards, dunno HOW but it did it! Smoked and never worked, amazingly the DIMM slot or mobo did'nt fry!

Mirlyn

My friend's brother put a stick in backwards...fried the board. Left it turned on for five minutes and then came and asked why it wasn't booting up. We asked what the smell was, and he opened the case and threw the melted stick at us (as I remember, the memory slot from the board came out with it as well)

Another time I put a stick in for a friend who asked me to help, then realized air was moving over my hand from the powersupply. Looked up and it was in Windows. Thought, well, that can't be good. Opened My Computer, then decided to restart the system. It detected the new memory, and hasn't ever messed up since.

Man you're lucky! I once took out memory whilst a pc was on, nothing fried, phew! The riskiest experiment i did was try the cpu COP protection on the asus A7V333, yanked the sink off a 1600+ XP, whaddya know it shutdown, and restarted fine with the sink back on.

HomeLAN

Justintime said:
I once put a 168 pin DIMM backwards, dunno HOW but it did it! Smoked and never worked, amazingly the DIMM slot or mobo did'nt fry!

I did that on my bro-in-law's machine. Smelled it before it got fried and unplugged it. Memory and mobo still worked afterwards.

Moral - never drink 4 beers BEFORE you crack open the case.

chcr

Too cute for words
Justintime said:
Didn't you post that on HWC at the time? I remeber reading something about that a while back. Was that you????
Justintime said:
The riskiest experiment i did was try the cpu COP protection on the asus A7V333, yanked the sink off a 1600+ XP, whaddya know it shutdown, and restarted fine with the sink back on.
I don't believe I shall ever be that curious, Justin.:D

Inkara1

Hate to bring things back on topic... but I've made no secret my opinion of Western Digital's quality ever since I had a drive die after two years, and then the replacement had the bearing go out less than 9 months later.