223.5 gigs of drive space in my near future

chcr

Too cute for words
I have an old 486 DX/2 still running the original HD (of course it probably only spins at about 8 rpm or so).

tommyj27

Not really Banned
i'm just saying that newer ide disks seem to be lacking in quality and longevity. I've got some old disks that are practically bombproof.

I think its the platter density/numbers and the speed they spin at, makes newer drives more prone to getting errors, not to mention some push some awful heat and toast themselves over time.

chcr

Too cute for words
Justintime said:
I think its the platter density/numbers and the speed they spin at, makes newer drives more prone to getting errors, not to mention some push some awful heat and toast themselves over time.
I think that's probably right. In the old days, you never expected a hard disk to fail.

HomeLAN

Justintime said:
It did'nt take alot, felt normal, though it is my wanking hand, so its probably stronger than i think :lol:

Yeah, it didn't feel wrong. Got hot in a damn hurry, though.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
In my case, I never expect a hard drive not to fail. I have a curse cast upon me never to have everything working 100% at any given time.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
RMA status showed up with both drives as being returned. Gave NewEgg a call, and they updated it without question. These guys are good. :cool:

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Heh, heat of the moment kinda thing. I was a little pissed that I got the drive bad straight from NewEgg, but then I read that they don't test or even inspect things before they're shipped; they order them then they pack them then they ship them. So I guess I can't really blame them. Either WD sent them a bad drive, or it got damaged during shipping from WD to NewEgg or NewEgg to me.

tommyj27

Not really Banned
fury said:
RMA status showed up with both drives as being returned. Gave NewEgg a call, and they updated it without question. These guys are good. :cool:
that's why i'd rather pay a few dollars more and order from them, the one time i've had problems with my order they've been exceedingly helpful in getting it returned.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I'm running out of disk space in a hurry. I need to quit downloading. :mope:

I'm down to 87 gigs free already (from 110 when I first installed Windblows)

Inkara1

tommyj27 said:
two years, that's pretty good for an ide disk these days isn't it?

My Maxtor 20GB 7200RPM drive is still going strong, and it's getting close to three years.

Mirlyn

Inkara1 said:
tommyj27 said:
two years, that's pretty good for an ide disk these days isn't it?

My Maxtor 20GB 7200RPM drive is still going strong, and it's getting close to three years.

WD 2.5Gb, manufacture date probably in 1996 (originally came in a Gateway system ordered in August of 96). Runs daily, no bad sectors. ;)

My main system has a Maxtor 30Gb 7200RPM....been running since December of 2000 without a hiccup as well.

Have a Quantum 500MB drive that still works, not a freakin bad sector or cluster at all :D to bad its pointless now lol.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I know the feeling. When I jumped from a 120 meg drive in my 386 to a 420 drive in my 486, I thought I'd never run out of space... then a 1.6 gig drive in my Pentium 133... I thought that was a bit overkill

Then I discovered the joy of downloading stuff from the internet. That was the end of the days I thought I'd never run out of space. When I got my next one with an 8 gig drive, I was like, "That's it?" :lol:

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Mirlyn said:
My main system has a Maxtor 30Gb 7200RPM....been running since December of 2000 without a hiccup as well.

Got the same drive. Got it at the same time too. Quit doing that.