223.5 gigs of drive space in my near future

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Raid 1 is basically using two of the same size and type of disks to achieve 2x the reliability of one drive (if one of them fails, the other takes over)

I don't see why I can't just mirror it and stripe it at the same time... I mean, if you're duplicating the same data, couldn't you just read the next bit from the 2nd hard drive as if you were just striping two 60 gig drives?

Squiggy

ThunderDick
I thiught that was how it was supposed to work too. The DP Macs show very little performance enhancement over single processor Macs. Its all hype...:retard:

fury

Administrator
Staff member
That's because professional Photoshopping is really the only reason to get a dual G4 (are they up to G5 yet? can't remember)

Nothing else has really been optimized to take advantage of the architecture.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Not many projects run on a G4 though. I think just distributed.net.

BTW, I hooked up the one remaining drive and looked at the Sandra bench for it, only about 3 megs a second slower than the RAID array, so I mastered it and installed Windblows, it's still fast. :beerbang:

How the hell can I tell that a drive that I can't hear is being accessed?

fury said:
Not many projects run on a G4 though. I think just distributed.net.

BTW, I hooked up the one remaining drive and looked at the Sandra bench for it, only about 3 megs a second slower than the RAID array, so I mastered it and installed Windblows, it's still fast. :beerbang:

How the hell can I tell that a drive that I can't hear is being accessed?

see, was that extra 3mb/sec worth it? ;) RAID 0 cannot and will not double the output, far from it, and as i said you'll only see a diff when the drive is being accessed alot and large files are bein used, and why don't you have any hdd leds? :eek:

fury

Administrator
Staff member
No, it just broke. I think I put the wire in the wrong way when I was first setting up the case, but I saw a bright flash out of it and then nothing else. :beerbang:

Professur

ROFHKAS

And you got a job in a shop fixing computers?????

* rolls on floor howling, kicking and screaming some more.

You musta plugged it into the wrong pins and blew it with over voltage, backwards on the right pin would just result in nothing :retard:

fury

Administrator
Staff member
That was like 2 years ago. I'm better now. Really, I am. OK, fine, so I took the bracket off a video card and caused it to blow up when I hotplugged the monitor, it's not like that was a customer's computer... :mope:

samcurry

Screwing with the code...
Staff member
aww come o guys. we all had stupid shit like that happen to us when we first started. Hell i pulled a 24 pin printhead out and watched it blow everywhere. Ive shorted out printers and watched a 1 foot flame shoot out one side.
but i learned from the experience. I no longer work on printers :D

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I learn from word-of-mouth as well as experience... I'm never gonna work on printers. :beerbang:

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Hell the only printers worth even trying to fix are laser printers, and they really aren't too bad. I think its hilarious when I go buy ink refills that are about 75% of the original cost of the printer.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Not on a Canon BJC-6000. $10-15 per tank :beerbang:

About 33% of the original cost if you get all four tanks replaced at the same time (which you usually don't). Or if you're using a photo cartridge, all six tanks, in which case 50% of the original cost.

Professur

Worst I've ever done is give myself a jolt working on a Lexmark printer. I was used to HP's where you could change the fuser without unplugging it. Not so with Lexmarks. ZAP.

Never blown up anything that I can recall.