ResearchMonkey

piss poor planning.

glad you got a cool camera. i was just down in LA hanging out with my old videographer. the shit she shot with newer sonys looked fucking fantastic.
Sony's the shit IMHO. You have to go into the +$60K specialty cameras to beat their systems.

Did you make any DVDs with your friend?

catocom

workers? I dunno
people? all I know is about about 250k are in shelters

I know several workers were there though,
because they evacuated yesterday, and some went back today.

I hear some 'experts' saying the main problem was the water pumps.
I can understand about that, because it takes much more power to
turn a water pump with electricity than diesel, as I said.

I wonder if they are using electricity to pump the water while in active operation.
Seems something amiss with this whole situation in the design.

well, I just heard that they are using electricity for the water pumps.
They are saying they are working on running another electric line in for the pumps.

Definitely they need to rethink their 'system' there.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
No I have thought about this I am fully capable of accurately answering this question.

The issue is your ignorance in many different areas.

Which is why I'm asking the question. You still haven't answered it. Bish came a lot closer. You've decided to be a smacktard. However, it's worked against you since you are still not on the same page, thus, you seem incapable of answering the question.

Neither the tsunami nor the 9 point oh magnitude quake directly created the current issue. A lack of sustainable electricity did. My question stands. why can't a power plant that is in need of a constant stable flow of power to maintain a safe & less-than-lethal atmosphere use it's own created juices?

An internal set of adjusted transformers could provide all the power needed to run the cafeteria, the office, the bathrooms & the fucking cooling mechanisms. Jesus man, it's as close as you can get to perpetual motion as possible. I don't need to understand fission to understand a power generator.

You mentioned expense. I presume you mean that the cost of having a "grounding rod" that would disipate this kind of change? Expensive? Yea. I bet it's a whole lot less than the cost of 6 reactors.

In the end, the quake started a chain reaction (no pun intended) that has an entire nuclear energy facility on the brink of becoming a dirty bomb. The men & women that are currently risking their lives are heroes. It appears they may solved this, but at what cost? A closed circuit power system, could have saved a lot of trouble. It's too late for Fuck-u-Shima but not for many others. It seems that coastal plants can't use diesel.

Winky

I presume you mean that the cost of having a "grounding rod" that would disipate this kind of change?

You win
bow.gif

Your understanding of even basic physics is so deficient that I bow to your abject ignorance.

There is no way in hell you can speak on this or any other subject that even vaguely
relates to a real world physical process.

For your next unintellectual exercise perhaps you can expound on macroeconomics?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
what type of outrageously
expensive equipment would be required onsite to sink this massive load
if you were going to try to run the plant off the grid

Yea, that's clear as mud.

Looking to lessen my ignorant truck driver brain 'round here with all you high-falluting kollege educated types with yer pee aach dee's & nucular science learning sure is tuff.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
You're talking about physics. I'm talking about mechanic engineering. The reactors do nothing more (for us non nucular physicist types) than create heat, to create steam, to run a steam generator.

2minkey

bootlicker
hmmm i seem to recall that there's a good amount of physics in a mechanical engineering curriculum but what would i know? my ex of six years is an ME, my father is an ME, i used to work for an engineering school and my Ph.D. minor/cognate was engineering...

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
oh christ, get over yourselves.

How about electrical engineering. Was that your summer school good time class?

MrBishop

Which is why I'm asking the question. You still haven't answered it. Bish came a lot closer. You've decided to be a smacktard. However, it's worked against you since you are still not on the same page, thus, you seem incapable of answering the question.

Neither the tsunami nor the 9 point oh magnitude quake directly created the current issue. A lack of sustainable electricity did. My question stands. why can't a power plant that is in need of a constant stable flow of power to maintain a safe & less-than-lethal atmosphere use it's own created juices?

An internal set of adjusted transformers could provide all the power needed to run the cafeteria, the office, the bathrooms & the fucking cooling mechanisms. Jesus man, it's as close as you can get to perpetual motion as possible. I don't need to understand fission to understand a power generator.

You mentioned expense. I presume you mean that the cost of having a "grounding rod" that would disipate this kind of change? Expensive? Yea. I bet it's a whole lot less than the cost of 6 reactors.

In the end, the quake started a chain reaction (no pun intended) that has an entire nuclear energy facility on the brink of becoming a dirty bomb. The men & women that are currently risking their lives are heroes. It appears they may solved this, but at what cost? A closed circuit power system, could have saved a lot of trouble. It's too late for Fuck-u-Shima but not for many others. It seems that coastal plants can't use diesel.

The grid was the grounding rod you speak of, Gonz. Having an emergency backup grid would be like wiring everything twice, I suppose. (Wiring to more than 1 million homes) Off hand, it'd probably be a hellovalot more expensive than the power station....and if that grid went down at the same time as the primary, you'd still be fucked. Let's just say that it's not in the cards.

The plant was running off of it's own power with the necessary transformers, but even these can only go so far. Much like a local neighbourhood transformer will go BANG if the line is hit by lightning, the plant's transformers would've gone BANG when faced with that much power.

The moment the tsunami destroyed all those home and businesses, took down power-lines, neighbourhood transformers etc... the grounding wire (grid) got a lot smaller really fast. The grid can be fixed, but not fast enough.

Take it from me...an ice storm 13-odd years ago did less damage to the grid. but I was still without power for close to 3 weeks, as was much of Quebec, with chunks of Ontario, New York and Vermont being out for a few days.

Winky

By the way, the tsunami washed over the plant.
Might be tough to continue operations in those conditions.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I understand power grids & generation. Thanks anyway Bish, at least you're working within the scope of my point. Electromagnetism can increase or decrease the voltage with simple windings. My question about the grounding rod was to Winkys incoherent statement about it needing somewhere to go. Of course, he's too smart to lower himself & explain what he really meant.

Winky...the tsunami washed around the plant. It was hardly a 75' wall of water. I'd have to hope the generators weren't sitting out in the open (on the back deck).

You guys are all looking at the picture from the wrong angle. What I'm after could also be said about coal plants or natural gas plants, except they aren't going to create Godzilla if they fail to have power. An underground(?), internal power grid, just for the plant, using the same steam to generate the same electricity as teh whole grid. The difference is, if a tower outside gets knocked down, causing the larger grid to disappear, it won't affect the internal grid, allowing for a controled shutdown of the system. Hell, steam can be released without harming the atmosphere, so some generation can continue at a much lower volume. It matters not what the nuclear process is. I'm looking at controlling an internal system which removes the need for an outside source (diesel generation)

Winky

Mr Understanding

What I'm after could also be said about coal plants or natural gas plants

Jeez Gonz

2minkey

bootlicker
hey gonz you send me some drawings and i'll have 'em rendered.

nuclear tomorrow, brought to you by el gonzo, king of a burrito wrapper empire.