catocom

Re: Iodine-131 in your oatmeal

Why would nuclear fuel in a cooling pool melt?

was that for me, gonz or anybody...?/...

My guess in lawman's terms would be chain reaction heat.
The same thing that drives it in the first place.

Homer Simpson could probably break it down better though.

It is fun though to do the vinegar and baking soda, in a 2 liter cola bottle though,
and watch that baby blow.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
It is not my place to give you a nuclear science
education via a chat board.

We won't even begin to discuss reactive loads or phase angles.

You are talking about the actions inside the reactor core. I'm not. The reactor does not provide electricity. The steam from the reactor heat provides the energy to run the turbines which run the generator which creates electricity.

I don't need a lesson in thermodynamics or general relativity or macroeconomics. It's all irrelevant to this discussion.

It was a simple question with a simple answer. You can't provide that answer because you're overthinking it. Don't worry. The Canuck understands what you don't.

Winky

yes yer a freakin' genius
along with the unemployed graphic artist

If yer so bright
you tell me why:
Why can't/doesn't a nuke plant use it's own generated power to power itself? Seems silly to be on the grid when you are the one generating a bazillion megawatts. Hell, even emergency power...the hell with diesel generators.

Winky

I need Full power Scottie

I suppose my mistake was assuming we were talking about
the Fukushima nuclear accident my bad.
w00t.gif

Then my next mistake was my failure to comprehend your total lack
of understanding of why the total loss of connection to the grid
constituted an emergency that would automatically scram the reactor.

And that under such a dire emergency the reactor would not
continue to be operated producing millions of watts thermal energy.

Then I fully recognized a vast proportion of the planet hasn't the vaguest
clue how a nuclear reactor works and became smugly satisfied.

Nevertheless I'm certain a truck driver could do a better job
of running the country than the mullato Kenyan born Muslim
who currently holds the position.

smalljapanese-nuclear-disaster-unfolds_17311.jpg

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Fukushima brought the question to mind. It can be applied to any electical generating plant on Earth. However, if coal plant has a bad day, it won't much affect people 5,000 miles away. A nuke plant needs electricity to maintain the cooling system. The diessel generators kicked in, then failed, because they were suscepible to outside forces. A closed system can be installed underground, removing factors such as lightning, wind, water, etc from the equation. SCRAM would still need to be a player, in case an earthquake ripped the land apart, though, except in unthinkable scenarios (new canyons), even that can be planned for.

As an Encanto resident, I assumed you were the brightest person on Earth. (next to the pHD, of course)

So answer me, smart guy, why must the reactor be shut down, under emergency conditions using diesel power to run the cooling system? Why can't the fucking generators be disconnected? Why can't an internal power grid be employed? Jesus H Christ, it's just a fucking generator. (please don't go into some hyperbole about the birth of a megawatt...the difference is proportion. Mechanical energy being converted to electrical energy)

And that under such a dire emergency the reactor would not
continue to be operated producing millions of watts thermal energy

Excuse me? The reactor produces energy to heat the water, converting it to steam which is applied to run the turbine. It does not produce electricity. It can continue to boil the water forever & never produce a single watt of useable electricity.

MrBishop

The 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami, categorised as 9.0 MW on the moment magnitude scale, occurred on 11 March 2011 at 14:46 Japan Standard Time (JST) off the northeast coast of Japan. On that day, reactor units 1, 2, and 3 were operating, but units 4, 5, and 6 had already been shut down for periodic inspection.[69] When the earthquake was detected, units 1, 2 and 3 underwent an automatic shutdown (called scram).[70

After the failure of the diesel generators, emergency power for control systems was supplied by batteries that would last about eight hours.[16] Batteries from other nuclear plants were sent to the site and mobile generators arrived within 13 hours,[74] but work to connect portable generating equipment to power water pumps was still continuing as of 15:04 on 12 March.[15] Generators would normally be connected through switching equipment in a basement area of the buildings, but this basement area had been flooded.[72] After subsequent efforts to bring water to the plant, plans shifted to a strategy of building a new power line and re-starting the pumps, eventually resulting in cable emplacement reported at approximately 08:30 UTC.[75]

It basically was a 'perfect storm'