Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
You two fucktwits are useless. You don't see what is right in front of you & I'm the dumb one here?

MrBishop

You guys are all looking at the picture from the wrong angle. What I'm after could also be said about coal plants or natural gas plants, except they aren't going to create Godzilla if they fail to have power. An underground(?), internal power grid, just for the plant, using the same steam to generate the same electricity as teh whole grid. The difference is, if a tower outside gets knocked down, causing the larger grid to disappear, it won't affect the internal grid, allowing for a controled shutdown of the system. Hell, steam can be released without harming the atmosphere, so some generation can continue at a much lower volume. It matters not what the nuclear process is. I'm looking at controlling an internal system which removes the need for an outside source (diesel generation)
Part of the answer would be expenses and susceptibility. Setting up a dedicated steam turbine for internal use only and just on the off chance that all the diesel generators stop working and only in the case of emergency shutdowns. :shrug:

It's not fiscally viable AND since it's not off-site, it'd be susceptible to the same issues that the primary turbines would be facing in case of an emergency.

If the nuclear plant's diesel backup generators hadn't failed, we wouldn't even be discussing all this. The plant would've simply shut itself down.

Winky

8.9 isn't enough

The reason the whole concept is monumentally ignorant in the first place
and why I went off on him is: the reactor would be scrammed upon the loss of the grid.

Gonzie doesn’t understand how a nuclear reactor works. Or he wouldn’t have made
such a silly inquiry in the first place.

But I know he'd do a better job of running the country than Obama!

2minkey

bootlicker
well apparently you can run a country on irrational faith and dumb slogans, so perhaps your right winkus.

Winky

Bring on the 'Tiscal Sanity'.

its worked every time its been tried

never was so much owed by so many to so few

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Re: 8.9 isn't enough

The reason the whole concept is monumentally ignorant in the first place
and why I went off on him is: the reactor would be scrammed upon the loss of the grid.

It wouldn't need to be shut down at all, especially under emergency conditions, if the coolant pumps were self-supporting. So, SCRAM would be a non-issue. If the nuclear reaction was what directly made the electricity, it'd be a different scenario. Vent the excess steam & there is no problem. Controlled shut-down of the reactor under ideal conditions.

Gonzie doesn’t understand how a nuclear reactor works. Or he wouldn’t have made
such a silly inquiry in the first place.

I must thank you for making me understrand as well as you did.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Part of the answer would be expenses and susceptibility. Setting up a dedicated steam turbine for internal use only and just on the off chance that all the diesel generators stop working and only in the case of emergency shutdowns. :shrug:

As I've already said, it's gotta be a whole buttload cheaper than what's happening now. Given the location, the general paranoia about nuclear energy & the potential issues, a little overkill could save more than a few bucks.

Winky

8.9 isn't enough to slow em down

Gonz just admit that you won't even try to understand
what nuclear fission is. Personally I think you might be
able too.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Re: 8.9 isn't enough to slow em down

Gonz just admit that you won't even try to understand
what nuclear fission is. Personally I think you might be
able too.

Then explain to me what fission, or fusion, has to do witth what I'm talking about. A steam generator is not a nuclear device.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Back where we started, you can't explain it so why bother? We are talking about two entirely different things. If not, then show me where I'm wrong. I don't need your rude condescending remarks.

Winky

It is not my place to give you a nuclear science
education via a chat board.

We won't even begin to discuss reactive loads or phase angles.

But we do agree that Osambo is worse than Carter could ever be!

Winky

wee hoo bring on the solar

wefwefwae.jpg

tuzki15.gif

Winky

No one is scrutinizing Hu Jintao’s words in Tahrir Square

Shut off the lights and
turn the place over to the ChiComs