A peace loving religion

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
MrBishop said:
Either he truly believes this, in which case, there are some nice sanitariums with padded rooms and quality tranquilizers in his future or he's faking it and just some violent bloke..in which case, try him in court and toss him in jail for a few decades. When he gets out...export his ass back to where he came from. He doesn't deserve to live here.

Your last sentence is one word too long.

flavio

Banned
Gato_Solo said:
Funnier still. Your source isn't even a news source. It's a dot org. As for no answer, you still haven't shown me any news story, so your pictures are nothing more than lies and hate. Kinda like everything else you talk about.
Yay...another cop out.

MrBishop

SouthernN'Proud said:
Your last sentence is one word too long.
an old quote of mine but fitting...

"The longer I live, the less I feel that others should have the same privilege" :grim:

Gonz said:
Silence gives consent.

The "peaceful muslims" need to do something about these stereotypical "radicals" soon---before they define Islam.

http://www.jewishworldreview.com/0306/pipes2006_03_14.php3?printer_friendly

Sudden Jihad Syndrome

By Daniel Pipes

"Individual Islamists may appear law-abiding and reasonable, but they are part of a totalitarian movement, and as such, all must be considered potential killers." I wrote those words days after 9/11 and have been criticized for them ever since. But an incident on March 3 at the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill suggests I did not go far enough.

That was when a just-graduated student named Mohammed Reza Taheri-azar, 22, and an Iranian immigrant, drove a sport utility vehicle into a crowded pedestrian zone. He struck nine people but, fortunately, none were severely injured.

Until his would-be murderous rampage, Taheri-azar, a philosophy and psychology major, had an apparently normal existence and promising future. In high school, he had been student council president and a member of the National Honor Society. A number of UNC students told the Los Angeles Times that he "was a serious student, shy but friendly." One fellow student, Brian Copeland, "was impressed with his knowledge of classical Western thought, adding "He was kind and gentle, rather than aggressive and violent." The university chancellor, James Moeser, called him a good student, if "totally a loner, introverted and into himself."

In fact, no one who knew him said a bad word about him, which is important, for it signals that he is not some low-life, not homicidal, not psychotic, but a conscientious student and amiable person. Which raises the obvious question: why would a regular person try to kill a random assortment of students? Taheri-azar's post-arrest remarks offer some clues.

* He told the 911 dispatcher that he wanted to "punish the government of the United States for their actions around the world."

* He explained to a detective that "people all over the world are being killed in war and now it is the people in the United States['] turn to be killed."

* He said he acted to "avenge the deaths of Muslims around the world."

* He portrayed his actions as "an eye for an eye."

* A police affidavit notes that "Taheri-azar repeatedly said that the United States Government had been killing his people across the sea and that he decided to attack."

* He told a judge, "I'm thankful you're here to give me this trial and to learn more about the will of Allah."

In brief, Taheri-azar represents the ultimate Islamist nightmare: a seemingly well-adjusted Muslim whose religion inspires him, out of the blue, to murder non-Muslims. Taheri-azar acknowledged planning his jihad for over two years, or during his university sojourn. It's not hard to imagine how his ideas developed, given the coherence of Islamist ideology, its immense reach (including a Muslim Student Association at UNC), and its resonance among many Muslims.

Were Taheri-azar unique in his surreptitious adoption of radical Islam, one could ignore his case, but he fits into a widespread pattern of Muslims who lead quiet lives before turning to terrorism. Their number includes the 9/11 hijackers, the London transport bombers, and Maher Hawash, the Intel engineer arrested before he could join the Taliban in Afghanistan.

Mohammed Ali Alayed, the Saudi living in Houston fits, the pattern because he stabbed and murdered Ariel Sellouk, a Jewish man who was his one-time friend. So do some converts to Islam; who suspected Muriel Degauque, a 38-year-old Belgian woman, would turn up in Iraq as a suicide bomber throwing herself against an American military base?

This is what I have dubbed the Sudden Jihad Syndrome, whereby normal-appearing Muslims abruptly become violent. It has the awful but legitimate consequence of casting suspicion on all Muslims. Who knows whence the next jihadi? How can one be confident a law-abiding Muslim will not suddenly erupt in a homicidal rage? Yes, of course, their numbers are very small, but they are disproportionately much higher than among non-Muslims.

This syndrome helps explain the fear of Islam and mistrust of Muslims that polls have shown on the rise since 9/11.

The Muslim response of denouncing these views as bias, as the "new antisemitism," or "Islamophobia" is as baseless as accusing anti-Nazis of "Germanophobia" or anti-Communists of "Russophobia." Instead of presenting themselves as victims, Muslims should address this fear by developing a moderate, modern, and good-neighborly version of Islam that rejects radical Islam, jihad, and the subordination of "infidels."

MrBishop

Muslims should address this fear by developing a moderate, modern, and good-neighborly version of Islam that rejects radical Islam, jihad, and the subordination of "infidels."

You mean like the majority of Muslims already do?

Lemme give you a bit of math the chew on.

1 in every 5 people on the face of the earth is Muslim.

How many of them are extremist and violent? 1/50th of 1% 1/100th of 1%?

And yet, all Muslims are being brushed with the same brush.

Seem fair to you? Of couse it does.

chcr

Too cute for words
It's not fair. Why should it be? The simple fact is that while a very small percentage of muslims are terrorists, a very large percentage of terrorists are muslim. It's unfair and unpalatable to group all muslims as terrorist suspects and yet it's stupid not to. I can't tell the difference just by looking and you only get to be wrong once. I'd rather err on the side of caution. If this offends someone I find myself less than apologetic. Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean no one is out to get you.

Altron

Now, let's think a little - why are they bombing us?
Osama is because of something about something the US military did in Saudi Arabia. Who was involved in that? 0.02% of Americans? 0.01% of Americans?

If they're willing to kill average people, like white collar workers and college students, because of the actions of a few American leaders, I am perfectly willing to make sweeping xenophobic generalizations about Muslims based on fanatics. I'm quite sure that the average Muslim makes generalizations about me based on fanatics.

chcr

Too cute for words
Altron said:
Osama is because of something about something the US military did in Saudi Arabia. Who was involved in that? 0.02% of Americans? 0.01% of Americans?

If they're willing to kill average people, like white collar workers and college students, because of the actions of a few American leaders, I am perfectly willing to make sweeping xenophobic generalizations about Muslims based on fanatics. I'm quite sure that the average Muslim makes generalizations about me based on fanatics.
Good point.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Altron said:

Sounds good to me.

MrBishop

chcr said:
The simple fact is that while a very small percentage of muslims are terrorists, a very large percentage of terrorists are muslim.
A few large percentage of humans are muslim. :shrug: A very small number of humans are violent. It's a matter of odds.

chcr said:
It's unfair and unpalatable to group all muslims as terrorist suspects and yet it's stupid not to. I can't tell the difference just by looking and you only get to be wrong once. I'd rather err on the side of caution.
Ultrafeminists say the same about men in relation to abusers and rapists.

You're right...it's not fair, but it is increasing the amount of fear in the average European and North American etc... it colours the way people look at what is most likely just an ordinary guy who wouldn't hurt a fly and happens to espouse the muslim faith.

People look at them crooked, they get ticked at their reception, they get defensive, which reinforces the stereotype and starts the vicious circle over again. A self-fulfilling prophesy ... or a slippery slope, if you will, leading to an errosion of the "Innocent until proven guilty" mindset.

You look Muslim therefore you may be a terrorist.

Oh well.

chcr

Too cute for words
MrBishop said:
Ultrafeminists say the same about men in relation to abusers and rapists.
And in this case they are correct. If I were a woman I would suspect every man that looked at me in an interested way until I got to know them. Do you have any daughters?

MrBishop

chcr said:
And in this case they are correct. If I were a woman I would suspect every man that looked at me in an interested way until I got to know them. Do you have any daughters?
Yup...she's a bit young to date right now though...barely 2 months old.

MrBishop said:
And yet, all Muslims are being brushed with the same brush.

They need to help themselves change their portrait.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/08/AR2006030802221.html

According to the poll, the proportion of Americans who believe that Islam helps to stoke violence against non-Muslims has more than doubled since the attacks, from 14 percent in January 2002 to 33 percent today.

http://switch5.castup.net/frames/20041020_MemriTV_Popup/video_480x360.asp?ai=214&ar=1050wmv&ak=null

freako104

Gato_Solo said:
So typical. Who is killing Hindus?

Buddhists and Muslims in India for the most part. I am sure there are Christians killing them too, but not nearly as much.

N.C. Jihadist said:
"Allah gives permission in the Koran for the followers of Allah to attack those who have raged war against them, with the expectation of eternal paradise in case of martyrdom and/or living one's life in obedience of all of Allah's commandments found throughout the Koran's 114 chapters...I did not act out of hatred for Americans, but out of love for Allah instead. "
http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=local&id=3992674