Advantages of being vegan

Jeslek

Banned
I honestly don't quite get it. My mom has been a vegan for 15+ years and never takes supplements. I know of a few other people too, and they never had deficiency problems.

Did you know that raw barley contains B12? Calcium, well, try to break my bones. I've never broken a bone, and don't have a single cavity. Iron, hmm, I can do quite a bit of exercise and I'm not in top shape. My oxygen levels are just right from what I know. When the doctor took a blood sample to check for antibodies, he told me the rest looks perfect.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
You need to read the other side, not just the extremist views, read some more cautious stuff...it's for sure out there.

Jeslek

Banned
Leslie said:
You need to read the other side, not just the extremist views, read some more cautious stuff...it's for sure out there.
Yeah I read a lot, and I know of all the propeganda the meat industry places in front of vegans, it is just that I've never actually met a vegan that has to take pills for his "deficiencies".

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
who said anything about reading what the meat industry puts out?

If you don't wanna read it, suffer later. whatever :rolleyes:

unclehobart

The problems crop up mostly in the hyper strict who wont even touch soy milk, miso, nuts... they just ask for trouble. You keep saying that your diet is well rounded with the nuts ans such. I wouldnt suspect that you would have iron, calcium, selenium problems. The ones who really get hammered are vegans who rely 90% on fruits. They just dont consume nearly enough green roughage veggies.

Jeslek

Banned
unclehobart said:
The problems crop up mostly in the hyper strict who wont even touch soy milk, miso, nuts... they just ask for trouble. You keep saying that your diet is well rounded with the nuts ans such. I wouldnt suspect that you would have iron, calcium, selenium problems. The ones who really get hammered are vegans who rely 90% on fruits. They just dont consume nearly enough green roughage veggies.
Mhhh, I eat everything from the plant kingdom, including nuts :D Can't live without nuts!! NUTS!!

unclehobart

Yeah.. I knew barley has b12... It just takes 3 pounds of the stuff on a daily basis to achieve dietary rda of 2 micrograms. 1 pound if grown in human shit. If thats the way you want to go... have a ball. I'd just assume nip on a little fortified soymilk once a month.

whoreable

unclehobart said:
Yeah.. I knew barley has b12... It just takes 3 pounds of the stuff on a daily basis to achieve dietary rda of 2 micrograms. 1 pound if grown in human shit. If thats the way you want to go... have a ball. I'd just assume nip on a little fortified soymilk once a month.

see???? my poll was valid.

well at least i had people to back me up and find facts for things i have heard. cause i am too lazy to research something i care so little about.

Jeslek

Banned
I really like how you people critisize and say it isn't healthy if you haven't at least tried it yourself. I've tried both and I feel better this way. And lets not forget all that advantages up there :p

ris

i've been vegetarian and lactose free at times in my life. can't say i noticed any diff to be honest, either time

unclehobart

I don't recall having ever said it wasn't healthy. I don't recall criticizing anything other than your obstinate attitude.

I'm just trying to point out certain pitfalls to watch out for when taken into certain overzealous angles.... angles that you yourself wern't aware of, or were blatantly horseblindered against. Leslie is realistic, aware, and pragmatic. You could stand to learn a great deal from her since you feel that my helping is pissing on your shoes.

We havent concentrated on the benefits all that much because you been poo pooing and demanding proofs for each and every little nuance that is contratry to your banner waving. If you are quite through being a pill we can start talking about the benefits side.

Jeslek

Banned
Ah well, I'm sorry for being difficult. That isn't really my intent, bit it is my nature, unfortunaetly. :( I am still learning on how to control it. :) So if I'm being difficult I really welcome you pointing it out ok? I'm not being sarcastic here.

unclehobart

ris said:
i've been vegetarian and lactose free at times in my life. can't say i noticed any diff to be honest, either time
I've done 100 day stretches of vegan diet, no caffeine, alcohol before. It did make a difference with me insofar as headaches, sleep quality and cardio value. The drawbacks were an increase in bad skin as well as my hair was breaking and always so very dry.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
From LL

Pigs carry trichinosis bacteria

Um...not to throw more on your 'Go vegan or die' tirade, but trichinosis is not a bacteria. Never was. It's a parasite. And you get it from raw or undercooked pork. As for everything else you've been saying, it sounds like propaganda to me. Extreme vegetarianism, like extreme anything, is almost always bullshit. You're a vegan, and you're healthy. And? I'm not a vegan. I have had meatless stretches, but I always come back. I'll give you this advice, though (and please don't start the tirade about how great your diet is)...MOST dieticians say that 5 ounces of meat, or a meat substitute, a day is what the human body needs. Most of us eat too much meat, but, there you are. If you aren't getting 5 ounces, then you're not eating healthy. Period.

Ohhh...and I also found a source for yout anti-pork attack...right here. Happy reading.

Jeslek

Banned
Mhh, so because I'm not getting my daily meat I'm now suddenly not in perfect health? What about that "perfect health" if I suddenly eat meat? I feel so sick I have to lie down and eating a lot of red meat makes me puke and my body revolts against it.

unclehobart

I always felt that it was impossible to even be in a state of reasonable health living anywhere near a large city. Theres so many factory and auto emissions to breathe in. Illnesses being spread by coins and doorknobs... Its all a little too creepy sometimes.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
LastLegionary said:
Mhh, so because I'm not getting my daily meat I'm now suddenly not in perfect health? What about that "perfect health" if I suddenly eat meat? I feel so sick I have to lie down and eating a lot of red meat makes me puke and my body revolts against it.

I never said you weren't healthy. I also never said to eat a lot of red meat. I only stated that most dieticians suggest 5 ounces of meat per day. Meat can also be fish or poultry. The meat substitute I mentioned can be soy. Don't leave your head in the sand too long.

BTW...In boot camp, you have to eat what they serve. Most times there's a vegetarian alternative. Your choice to be vegan may wind up being moot...

Jeslek

Banned
Gato_Solo said:
LastLegionary said:

I never said you weren't healthy. I also never said to eat a lot of red meat. I only stated that most dieticians suggest 5 ounces of meat per day. Meat can also be fish or poultry. The meat substitute I mentioned can be soy. Don't leave your head in the sand too long.

BTW...In boot camp, you have to eat what they serve. Most times there's a vegetarian alternative. Your choice to be vegan may wind up being moot...
Well I will put my country first above my own preferences. I'm not that selfish ok?