All Hail the Minutemen Project

Jenn

Luis G said:
I don't believe everybody is crossing illegaly because they have this huge need. Some are just a bunch of lazy fuckers that refuse to work here because "only God knows why". Granted, there are less fortunate people that just happened to be born in poverty but it isn't like they can't work, some would just end up in a corner or red light asking for money (and get a good US$40 in a few hours doing so).

1. What you believe is not the point, it is what is actually going on there.

2. What is your financial situation? What is your level of education? Where did you get educated?

3. There are people who do come here simply to cause trouble, but the vast majority simply come to work and in shitty jobs. I just love the "THEY'RE TAKING JOBS FROM AMERICANS, THE BASTARDS!!!!" argument. I have never seen a white person and only a few blacks wipe shit from floors and pick fruit.

4. Has anyone in your family ever had to look for a job? If it were easy to find work, they would stay there. You think they want to be living away from their families in a strange country where they are disliked?

5. When have you seen someone make $40 in a few hours?

It is not easy to weed out decades of corruption and ineffectiveness. If you think the uneducated, poor people who come here to work can simply stay there and easily change everything you are quite ignorant of your own damn country. People who are educated and well off cannot even change things there successfully a lot of the time. Imagine how people, who do not even understand how their government works nor have resources to try, would do. These people miss their home and would rather stay there, but they cannot if they want to survive. It is obvious you are not in their situation nor have contact with it and fail to understand. It is ridiculous to try and simplify what is going on in Mexico. If things were as easy as "staying there and changing it" the world would be a different place. Plus, the people coming over tend to come from the poorest states full of the most uneducated people who are completely ignored by the government. They feel powerless and don't have the means by which to change much. You people are oversimplifying it.

These people do not have the same rights we do either, you know. Civil society is in a process of growing. And it isn't just the very poor; the situation is so bad there that people with degrees cannot find work and have to turn to driving taxis or selling candy, for example. The situation there is not easy. Imagine losing what you have now and having to struggle to survive but not being too sucessful. Can you even grasp that idea? I'd like to see some of you living in those horrible conditions and trying to change the fuckers in government. You'd understand then.

You all sit here and talk and talk and talk very comfortably because you don't have to deal with such situations. You do not understand what it is like and you even fail to try to sympathize.

tonksy

How would we know? Neither one of you shares any info about yourself. You just come on in picking fights :shrug:

Trau

tonksy said:
How would we know? Neither one of you shares any info about yourself. You just come on in picking fights :shrug:

We just got here and neither of us has picked fights. Is this not the debate area of the forum?

I didn't expect you to know that Jenn is from Mexico, but you had no reason to assume she wasn't or that she didn't know Luis is from there as well.

tonksy

Luis has it quite visible in his posts. His location is Mexico. When you registered you both had the option to fill out information about yourself that would be visible to other members.
YOU have a welcome thread that you have never posted in. If you came solely for debate then I suppose you'll find it....but don't expect a welcome response from those who feel you are little more than a bulletion board flamer.

Jenn

It shouldn't matter if I am from there or not because, apparently, that doesn't make you any more aware of the situation. :)

Trau

tonksy said:
Luis has it quite visible in his posts.

So?

When you registered you both had the option to fill out information about yourself that would be visible to other members.

I rarely do that from the get-go. As you can see I have only just today added my signature.

YOU have a welcome thread that you have never posted in.

I had not seen it. My apologies.

If you came solely for debate then I suppose you'll find it....but don't expect a welcome response from those who feel you are little more than a bulletion board flamer.

I was referred to this board for the purposes of debate. But I have posted in other sections today.

catocom

anyway, the fact is...
Something IS going to be done about the immigration "problem",
so you all might as well start getting used to it. :p

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Trau said:
We weren't talking about people who come over here to commit crimes, we were talking about people who come over here to work. But indeed the sheer amount of real criminals coming over pales when compared to those who come to work.

A crime is a crime. As soon as they set foot onto our land they have commited a crime. I, for one, do not wish to wait for them to commit another.

Trau

Gonz said:
A crime is a crime. As soon as they set foot onto our land they have commited a crime. I, for one, do not wish to wait for them to commit another.

A crime that I believe most of us would make if forced to make the choice. I'm for Bush's guest worker program. But honestly I'd only extend that to citizens of Latin America.

catocom

tonksy said:
We were tongue in cheek discussing placing landmines along the border.
yeah I know, and you know, but.....
Anyway, if you jump in front of a Semi going 80mph, is that murder? :nerd:
Seems the same to me, if you put up signs.
Hell, see how close you can get to area 51 without a gun being thrown in your face. :swing:

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Wal-Mart off the top of my head.

You do take the bait. Wal-Mart didn't hire them, their cleaning contractors did. It's not Wal-Marts responsibility to verify employment backgrounds on contractors laborers. Although, the anti-corporation folks try to make it so.

Jenn, if you're a Mexican, can you explain why you're country has armed military guarding it's southern border while handing out maps on its northern?

tonksy

Signs? Where's the sport in that? ;)
I really have no problem with people coming over if they want to work, just let them apply and follow the rules :shrug:
Maybe intead of sending the hard working Mexicans back we can deport the non-contributing welfare sponges.

catocom

tonksy said:
Maybe intead of sending the hard working Mexicans back we can deport the non-contributing welfare sponges.
That would be ideal, but it'll take to long to do without documentation,
and there in lies the problem.
It's all about the documentation....makes it too hard to do the right thing without it.
So, we have to like start over.

Winky

So what does it mean to be 'from Mexico'?

And Trau and Jenn
is it your intention to win over to your side
to your way of thinking that America hasn't any right,
no say in who waltzes across her borders

or is merely your intention to come to this board
and call us names for thinking America is a sovereign nation

or perhaps

that America is crap and should bend to the whim
of any and all third world people

or...