Anti-abortionists

MrBishop

AlphaTroll said:
If you're a cow maybe....for us human chicks it's 36 weeks / 9 months ;)
Human gestation period is considered to be 39 weeks (from conception), or 40
weeks from the onset of the last menstrual period. Variaton from this (two
weeks prior or after) is considered normal. More than that is "premature,
or postmature".

[size=+1]Elephant [/size][size=+1]22 months[/size][size=+1]( 660 days )[/size]
[size=+1]Horse[/size][size=+1]11 months[/size][size=+1]( 330 days )[/size]
[size=+1]Cow[/size][size=+1]9.5 months[/size][size=+1]( 285 days )[/size]
[size=+1]Human[/size][size=+1]9 months[/size][size=+1]( 275 days )[/size]
[size=+1]Sheep[/size][size=+1]4.5 months[/size][size=+1]( 144 days )[/size]
[size=+1]Pig[/size][size=+1]4 months[/size][size=+1]( 114 days )[/size]
[size=+1]Dog[/size][size=+1]2 months[/size][size=+1]( 61 days )[/size]
[size=+1]Cat[/size][size=+1]2 months[/size][size=+1]( 61 days )[/size]
[size=+1]Rabbit[/size][size=+1]1 month[/size][size=+1]( 31 days )[/size]
[size=+1]Mouse[/size][size=+1]3 weeks[/size][size=+1]( 20 days )[/size]

275/28 = 9.82 months if you count a month as 28 days (lunar month). or 39 weeks

I'm removing my arguement anyway..frankly, I forgot to take into effect that the mother gave birth prematurely. I guess that Papa shot the silver bullet :)

AlphaTroll

I have no idea why, but the colours you used makes it look like the sentence is kinda breaking off at the end (like the last bit of the word is falling off). Or that the list is going squiff - not in a straight line.

Maybe it's just my eyes.

MrBishop

AlphaTroll said:
I have no idea why, but the colours you used makes it look like the sentence is kinda breaking off at the end (like the last bit of the word is falling off). Or that the list is going squiff - not in a straight line.

Maybe it's just my eyes.

Sorry AT...It was a cat/paste job...fixed now :)

Starya

I am pro-choice. However, I think the choice should only be available up until week 12. One might of course ask why this week, and not week 11, 13 or 14. Well, week 12 ends the first trimester, and by this time the woman should have had some time to think it over. There is also the question of the foetus feeling pain, it was stated that this took place in the third trimester. I surely don't think it does in week 12.

As for myself, I cannot imagine ever having an abortion. The only reasons I could think of were if the child was so damaged it would surely die or suffer greatly, or if my own life was on the line. However, I am aware that I would'nt know for sure, until I was in that situation. I do hope that is a choice I will never have to consider.

Rose

To answer Gonz's original topic - would I have had an abortion had this been me ... yadda yadda ... Had my husband and I known about the deformities, the joining of the twins so much together that separation is a far chance - I'd probably have strongly considered abortion. Can't say for sure, because I've never been pregnant or had a child. Never been in the situation. But if I still think now as I would in that situation, then I would *most likely* not given birth.

drkavnger99

A very hot topic indeed this is!! I have a personal scenario (happend to my mother) to put up for both sides (as I am pro choice). Start with a little history shall we.... the last child my mother gave birth to was my sister in 1984, in 1987 my mom and dad decided that 2 was more than enough children and so decided to have my mother fallopian tubes tied then cortorized by seperation (sp???). Ok several years go by, now a decade, now a decade and a half. It's 2001 and my mother noticed an odd thing happen her period didn't come she is now 42 years old so she thinks maybe the big change is here (you know menopause). She sees her local physician and they do a blood workup to find out whats going on. The next day we get a phone call, its the doctor he says, "Your Pregnant". A hell of a shock to the whole family and to the doctor who performed the surgery (who called not 5 mins after the local physician). To make a long story short after several tests they said their could be something wrong with the child for it was not growing correctly but was still considered alive at this point. They tell her its more than likely in her fallopian tube and that to find out if it was not would put her a severe risk of death due to a burst fallopian tube and internal bleeding. So you know what my mother did after several days of thinking about it.... She got an abortian.... with her complications and the chances of the fetus growing normally and correctly so slim (gave us a 1 in 1,000,000 chance of survival) even after several 2nd opinions. This was 6 weeks after initial conception too. Now for all you anti-abortionist who say there is no reason to get one... I provided one IMO and if you disagree then put yourself in the same position as my mother!

I think you'd probably come to the same conclusion that having this child would mean the death of both of you no matter what!

EDIT: I meant to ask what you thought just got a little to into it sorry like I said hot topic especially with me!

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
drkavnger99 said:
EDIT: I meant to ask what you thought just got a little to into it sorry like I said hot topic especially with me!

I think your mother made the right choice.

She weighed her options, and saved herself, and her family pain.

The right to lifers have 2 main arguements

1. at fertilization, the fetus is a person

2. Ignoring stories like this, and only using the people who use abortions recklessly as an example.

How could a right to lifer argue with her on this, incredibly small cahnce of survival.

well I know some would say leave it gods hands....but that is an arguement for another thread

AlphaTroll

I think your mother made the right choice and if it were my mom I'd have wanted her to make that same decision, after all doing anything else than support her in that decision would IMO be like saying to her that I place the value of someone I don't even know above her life - not gonna happen from this side.

I hope your mom is OK though, I know it's a really tough decision to make - she deserves all the love & support in the world.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Starya said:
It is also an argument for those who are believers. ;)

oh I know, just want to save the beleiver, non-beleiver arguement for another thread.

But as to the religious arguements against abortion (since it's sorta on the table)

How does a person, who is a right to lifer for religious reasons, tell a jewish person not to get an abortion, because the fetus is alive, and has a soul, when in the Jewish religion the fetus is not considered alive until it is born?

Does one religions views stand higher than anothers.

In montreal back in the 40's a lot of roman catholic mothers wanted to give birth at the Jewish General Hospital, because of these releigious diffrences, in other hospital if the choice was mother or baby, they would choose to save the baby, at the JGH they would choose to save the mother.

AlphaTroll

Pauly, it's the same as people expecting you to swear on the Bible that you'll tell the truth in court. Well hey, if I don't believe in God & the Bible has no value to me, does that give me licence to lie?

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
you don't have to do that anymore, you can refuse to swear on the bible now (if they even still offer a bible)

well to correct that in Canada you don't have to swear on a bible I know in Isreal you don't.

I don't think you have to in the US anymore.

freako104

I have a question for the rest of you guys. if you want an abortion for any reason but your S.O./spouse wants one or you dont but he/she does how would you feel and what would be the decision you make? Personally Id always support my S.O. if i had to but Im sure wed disagree. Dark first WB its been a while. second I am glad your mom made the decision she did after extensive thinking about it.

BeardofPants

Thanks for the karma rose. :D Good to be back.

Now that I'm not completely braindead, I think I can contribute my own two cents. *watches everyone flee* ;)

I am pro-choice. I have known many women who have had to make this choice - myself included. I know that it is not an easy choice. People who think that women wake up and think, "hooray, party in my uterus, I get to have an abortion today! Woo hoo!" are completely misguided. My ex-nextdoor-neighbour had had a total of 7 when I was 11 years old. My best friend has had one - it was the worst mistake she could have made - for her. The next time she fell pregnant, she kept it, and she knows that that was the right thing for her. Another friend made the choice to keep her child, and went to school right up until her pregnancy term ended. I am surprised, in this day and age, how people at school were still so narrow-minded about it (the same people who rant about abortions I might add.) So you could say, I have seen from one extreme to another. In the case of the woman who had had multiple abortions it was sad - she felt like she had to have them because if she didn't, her long-term partner would leave her. I didn't know, back then, whether to feel sorry for her, or smack her over her head for her weakness, and ignorance. Now, having been through an abortion myself, I can't comprehend how she managed to go through 7 of them. It is NOT an easy decision to make, and it is both physically, and emotionally scarring.

Is there a point to this rambling? I don't know... Just adding the two cents of someone who has been through it.

freako104

BeardofPants said:
Thanks for the karma rose. :D Good to be back.

Now that I'm not completely braindead, I think I can contribute my own two cents. *watches everyone flee* ;)

I am pro-choice. I have known many women who have had to make this choice - myself included. I know that it is not an easy choice. People who think that women wake up and think, "hooray, party in my uterus, I get to have an abortion today! Woo hoo!" are completely misguided. My ex-nextdoor-neighbour had had a total of 7 when I was 11 years old. My best friend has had one - it was the worst mistake she could have made - for her. The next time she fell pregnant, she kept it, and she knows that that was the right thing for her. Another friend made the choice to keep her child, and went to school right up until her pregnancy term ended. I am surprised, in this day and age, how people at school were still so narrow-minded about it (the same people who rant about abortions I might add.) So you could say, I have seen from one extreme to another. In the case of the woman who had had multiple abortions it was sad - she felt like she had to have them because if she didn't, her long-term partner would leave her. I didn't know, back then, whether to feel sorry for her, or smack her over her head for her weakness, and ignorance. Now, having been through an abortion myself, I can't comprehend how she managed to go through 7 of them. It is NOT an easy decision to make, and it is both physically, and emotionally scarring.

Is there a point to this rambling? I don't know... Just adding the two cents of someone who has been through it.

thanks for giving us the perception of someone who has been through it. I dont think anyone meant it was easy although some women do keep getting them as birth control. it is a living thing and a part of your body and to give it up either adoption or abortion is very hard on the mother :sadhug: im sorry you had to go through it

a13antichrist

Talk about retardation.. sheesh.

Try this scenario - for the pro-lifers.

A baby is diagnosed as having a lung disease that will mean it will die at most two hours after being born.
Given that the baby would never have any life anyway, is abortion here an acceptable course of action, in order to save the mother firstly the pain of child-birth and secondly, and much more importantly, the total emotional destruction of watching her baby die in front of her two hours later?

Yes or No.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
They died Saturday afternoon.

A13-we're all pro-life. Only some are anti-abortion.

MrBishop

Gonz said:
They died Saturday afternoon.

May they rest in peace. May Gods glory wash over them. May their souls be returned into the Guff so that they may be reborn and live their lives again.
  • For the non-religious types -- STFU
  • For the religious types/spiritual types etc --- They were loved while they lived. Their lives were mercifully short but touched many. A quick prayer for them please.