Arizona Rep. Gabrielle Giffords Shot By Gunman

spike

If Palin is responsible for these deaths for a simple graphic

I don't think anyone said that here. The violent rhetoric can certainly encourage people. We've seen this with Jim David Adkisson/Bernie Goldberg and Byron Williams/Glenn Beck.

spike

I was wondering what was taking so long for you to play the "troll card".

Maybe he hadn't devolved into pure trolling yet.

I will suggest that reading your bullshit probably makes most people avoid OTC.

That's a silly assed suggestion. You type far more ridiculous bullshit than most people here.

jimpeel

I don't think anyone said that here. The violent rhetoric can certainly encourage people. We've seen this with Jim David Adkisson/Bernie Goldberg and Byron Williams/Glenn Beck.

The Beatles wrote and sang "Happiness is a warm gun". They caused this shooting. What will you do if they find the entire Beatles compendium in his room?

catocom

I can split if you think it better.

no I think it far better if you stay myself.

while I find some of the rhetoric extreme, it's extreme on the opposing side as far the other way.
I don't feel comfortable going that far out myself, but it does balance it out pretty good. ;)

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Don't forget, Judas Priest, then Ozzy Osbourne, were responsible for suicidal behavior.

Until they were acquitted in court.

spike

The Beatles wrote and sang "Happiness is a warm gun". They caused this shooting.

I think we've already established this is not the case.

"According to Lennon, the title came from the cover of a gun magazine that producer George Martin showed him: "I think he showed me a cover of a magazine that said 'Happiness Is a Warm Gun.' It was a gun magazine. I just thought it was a fantastic, insane thing to say. A warm gun means you just shot something. Like heroin into your arm."[1]

Many different interpretations of the song have been offered down the years. It has been said that, in addition to the obvious reference mentioned above, the "Warm Gun" could also be due to Lennon's sexual desire for Yoko Ono[4] and also to his well documented problems with heroin at the time of the recording of the White Album (in this case, the gun being a loaded syringe, although Lennon claimed to have snorted, rather than injected, heroin during the time that he used the drug). In his 1980 interview Lennon admitted to the double meaning of guns and sexuality ("that was the beginning of my relationship with Yoko and I was very sexually oriented then") but denied the song had anything to do with drugs.[5]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happiness_Is_a_Warm_Gun

I can't imagine how you found this equivalent to putting a target on a rival and telling people to reload.

spike

while I find some of the rhetoric extreme, it's extreme on the opposing side as far the other way.

No. There is no equivalent violent rhetoric from major figures as extreme as Beck/Limbaugh/Coulter and I'm not aware of any hate groups as large as Stormfront.

catocom

well of coarse I totally disagree with you spike that what those you cite are
speaking anything approaching violent....
I was pertaining to this particular board in that instance.

catocom

The only examples I've seen are from ultra-left wing sites, taken out of context.

You got a 'good' example?

jimpeel

I can't imagine how you found this equivalent to putting a target on a rival and telling people to reload.

You missed the point. It is INSANE to try to equate these things with the actions of an individual.

J.D. Salinger wrote "Cather In the Rye" and Hinkley said that he got his ideas from that book. He wanted to impress Jody Foster.

So by the insane drunken logic of those trying to pin this shooting on Sarah Palin; J.D. Salinger and Jody Foster are responsible for the attack on Ronald Reagan.

Get it?

Using insane ideas to illustrate insane ideas.

spike

Sounds like your arguing that there should be no accountability or civility from public figures in using violent rhetoric directed at their opponents.

So if Obama one day said "Palin is Satan incarnate. I wish one of the god fearing people of our country would light that Nazi witch on fire" and some time later someone poured gas on her and lit her on fire you would say that was entirely the actions of the individual who did it and there is nothing else to discuss right?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Sounds like your arguing that there should be no accountability or civility from public figures in using violent rhetoric directed at their opponents.

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Take it to Cuba.

ResearchMonkey

You think that old paper means anything to the left? To them it's an occasional convenience at best.

I have to wonder if 'they' understand where they get their power to govern from?

ResearchMonkey

Sounds like Zeitgeist was what drrove the shooter insane. We need to outlaw untrue propaganda movies that drive people insane; Fahrenheit 451, An Inconvenient Truth, Zeitgeist, et al.

/sarc

spike

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
Take it to Cuba.

I didn't suggest making any law abridging the freedom of speech. So know that your straw man is gone what will you do?

Will you suggest someone do violent things with your speech freedoms?

ResearchMonkey

Double spreak: "do violent things with your speech freedoms" -- idiot.

Call your doctor and get some end of life counseling.

Cerise

Arizona massacre gunman Jared Loughner's downward spiral may have been touched off by a broken high school romance and fueled by drug use -- but it was not politically motivated, according to his best friend in high school.

Zach Osler, in an interview Wednesday with ABC's "Good Morning America," said: "He did not watch TV. He disliked the news. He didn’t listen to political radio. He didn’t take sides. He wasn’t on the left. He wasn’t on the right."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/01/1...nman-did-watch-news-television/#ixzz1Awmq4MER