Baseball trades

Inkara1

Texas just traded for Vicente Padilla from Philadelphia.

He's been fairly inconsistent in his career, but he meets SnP's requirement of Hispanic blood, and he has a career 1.53 groundball/flyball ratio, including 1.25 each of the last two years when the Phillies played in their offense-heavy ballpark.

I figure he can't be any more maddeningly enigmatic than Joaquin Benoit, and considering Texas didn't even have to give up Mench or Blalock to get him, I think it's a pretty good deal.

Dave

woodman19_99 said:
I gotta be honest with you, I am drooling over the slim possibility of a Manny for Tejada deal. I know Manny's numbers are a little better, but he is WAY to much of a space case and I really don't think he wants to play for the Sox any more.

Tejada would be a good for us too. He wants the attention and the feeling that every AB is important, something which does not really hold true with the O's.

Anyway, very happy with Beckett, Mota, and Lowel, and I have to say, I am liking the Loretta for Mirabelli deal right now. All we need to try and do is get Damon resigned to a less than astronomical contract (I can't believe he is asking for a 7yr, $84m deal) and we could be okay. Schilling, Beckett, Wakefield, Clement, and Clemens(maybe), Arroyo, or Papelbon as the #5 and I would be pretty happy with that...

i agree though i think Papelbon may be another year or two away from being a consistant starter.
Damon will get big money, but he wont get 7 years. 3 years with an optioned 4th sounds about right.

abooja

woodman19_99 said:
All we need to try and do is get Damon resigned to a less than astronomical contract (I can't believe he is asking for a 7yr, $84m deal)
You can thank the Yankees (in part) for that.

Dave

that and a rarity of good, consistant lead-off hitters that play hard every day.

Stop Laughing

You heard it here first: The Cubs just signed Jacque Jones. All Cubdom just froze for a second... only because the wind chill's below zero. I don't care how much talent we bring in, if the manager's lazy, the players and the plays will end up that way too.

Dave

The Boston Globe's Gordon Edes is reporting that centerfielder Johnny Damon has agreed to a 4-year, $52 million contract with the Yankees. The agreement is contingent on Damon passing a physical.
damn it! :mad:

Inkara1

So Texas gets Adam Eaton, Akinori Otsuka and prospect Billy Killian from San Diego for Chris Young, Terrmel Sledge and Adrian Gonzalez.

I liked the deal up until I saw Chris Young's name in there. He did have arm fatigue problems towards the end of this season, to be sure, but it was also his first full season in the majors. He also grew up in Dallas so he knew a thing or two about the heat. I'd have expected him to make it the whole season. And Eaton is a free agent after the season and could very well walk, which in and of itself isn't a bad thing except that we gave up a guy who works for something in the neighborhood of the major league minimum salary. If we'd given up Juan "Maybe I'll Show Up Today" Dominguez, I'd be happier with the deal.

Inkara1

majestyx said:
Inky, I take it the possibility exists you are a Texas Rangers fan? :confused:

I used to be an Oakland A's fan (particularly the Bash Bros.) but then my grandfather took me to a Rangers game in 1992, when I was 11. That's when I switched allegiances... although it didn't hurt that Texas beat Oakland in that game. :D