Black Friday sales up 3% over last year

2minkey

bootlicker
Those who charge their groceries to their credit card are usually those who pay off the card every month -- the "freeloaders" as the CC companies call them.

yep. and the ones that don't pay it off every month - other than those truly struck by emergencies - are morons.

i'm happy to be a freeloader. i'm actually a double freeloader because i charge a bunch of work travel expenses to it just to get the airlline miles, and pay it in full every month.

Inkara1

Some are that way, yes. If the majority of a grocery store's costomers use credit, though, I think it's safe to say that a good chunk of them are "freeloaders."

spike

I hardly ever use my credit card to buy anything. I use my debit card though which often makes it look like I'm using credit even though it's the same as using cash.

Inkara1

Do you enter in your PIN when you do, or do you run it as "credit"? If you use it without entering in a PIN, then as far as the store knows it's a credit card transaction, I would think.

jimpeel

Do you enter in your PIN when you do, or do you run it as "credit"? If you use it without entering in a PIN, then as far as the store knows it's a credit card transaction, I would think.

Credit cards require a signature -- either physical or electronic -- while debit cards require only the entry of the PIN. Some, actually most, banks charge a user fee of $.75 - $1.50 for using a debit card, ie: for using your own money. The usual and "customary" fee to vendors for credit card use is 3%; but I'm sure they merely absorb that cost and they don't pass it on through higher cost of goods. :rolleyes:

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I would hope that most people aren't charging their groceries. Wal-Mart is a different kind of store and bigger-ticket items are bought there.

Super Wal-Mart, the one we go to, it's a full scale grocery as well as standard dept store. In fact, most wally-worlds these days are going in as super walmarts.

spike

Sometimes I use the PIN and sometimes I have them run it as credit. My bank doesn't charge a fee either way so whatever seems quicker at the time. It's got the PayPass thing too so if the place is equipped it just takes a swipe (still not sure if I like that one).

But yes, I imagine if I run it as credit or use PayPass the store would consider it a credit card transaction even though there's no credit involved.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
A most assuredly adult & well-thought-out decision. After all, the feelings of a store are most important.

jimpeel

You are soo lucky.

I worked self checkout all day today. Wal-Mart is not placing them in new stores and they are tearing them out of stores that are refurbished. Stores are refurbished every five years but I fear that our store will not be refurbished for seven to ten years. Ours was the first store ever to have poured floors with colorant. All the rest before that had tile floors; and they all look like shit after about three years. Ours looks like it did when new.

The thing that is nice about these floors is that the colorant bleeds to the surface when the floor gets bleached out by acidic spills like vinegar. The first time I saw the aftermath of one of those massive one gallon pickle jars going off like a grenade when it hit the floor I thought "Well, there goes our nice floor." Within about a month, I could not discern where the spill even occurred. It was kinda eerily cool that it was simply gone without a trace.

GrandCaravanSE

I worked self checkout all day today. Wal-Mart is not placing them in new stores and they are tearing them out of stores that are refurbished. Stores are refurbished every five years but I fear that our store will not be refurbished for seven to ten years. Ours was the first store ever to have poured floors with colorant. All the rest before that had tile floors; and they all look like shit after about three years. Ours looks like it did when new.

The thing that is nice about these floors is that the colorant bleeds to the surface when the floor gets bleached out by acidic spills like vinegar. The first time I saw the aftermath of one of those massive one gallon pickle jars going off like a grenade when it hit the floor I thought "Well, there goes our nice floor." Within about a month, I could not discern where the spill even occurred. It was kinda eerily cool that it was simply gone without a trace.

Hey nothing aganst you, but i still hate the store(s).

We usually go through the regular checkout though, because we usually
have 2 full buggies, and need the extra hand.

There's some waiting sometimes, but I've got time, when I've made it for shopping.

For me 10min shopping 25min waiting in line.

catocom

I'm slow anyway...lol, by the time I hit 90, you'd have to have a time lapse camera to see me move at this rate.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Wal-Mart is not placing them in new stores and they are tearing them out of stores that are refurbished.

Why? Self-checkouts are the greratest thing since sliced bread (when some fool isn't in front of you trying to scan the wrong bar code)

jimpeel

Why? Self-checkouts are the greratest thing since sliced bread (when some fool isn't in front of you trying to scan the wrong bar code)

For one, we do not limit the number of items you can bring through the SCO. You can bring as much as you dare. The problem is that there are only two -- COUNT 'EM -- two bagging stations on each unit. You can remove bags as they fill up but most customers don't know how to, or that they can, do so. They have been brainwashed by the other stores which disallow the removal of bags during the transaction. They usually have about eight bagging stations. This also limits the amount you can bring to the SCO because whatever you bring you have to make fit on the scales. You cannot remove anything. If you do, the unctuous voice scolds and chides you to replace it.

nalani

The self check-out stations lasted about a year here .. they really sucked and ate up more of the workers' time than if they just had them working the checkout.

The self check-out at Home Depot are great but I always end up behind the dork who's barcode isn't working :D