Black Friday sales up 3% over last year

MrBishop

Simply go back and read post #1 thread header and you will find the answer. If you get lost getting there, here is a link. http://www.otcentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=617597&postcount=1
I understand the premise you're trying to set...I don't understand why you're giving us a daily count of one store, in one town.

Black Monday and Christmas are exceptions that will prove the point.

Purchases are going down, and those that are being made will be made off of credit...which is candy to the economy (quick, sweet, but gone quickly and soon forgotten).

spike

Last-minute shoppers can't save dismal Christmas

By ANNE D'INNOCENZIO – 1 hour ago

NEW YORK (AP) — Last-minute shoppers headed to the nation's stores and malls on the day before Christmas, looking for the final items they needed and searching for good deals — but for retailers, the season was essentially over long ago.

Many merchants are already tallying up just how dismal their sales were in a season expected to be the worst in decades.

"It's beyond the worst fears of retailers," said C. Britt Beemer, chairman of America's Research Group.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jDTussE1B0k15SOUXCrxhnZpUq3gD9597RT80

spike

So where is this recession? The spending belies the hype.

"Retailers began their after-Christmas sales in earnest on Friday, but even if business is brisk, it will not make up for the dismal holiday shopping season.

Analysts who visit malls each year said stores were relatively quiet Friday morning compared with previous years. In general, customer traffic has been slower throughout the holiday season, and with retailers offering unprecedented bargains in the weeks before Christmas, postholiday sales lost some allure."

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/27/business/economy/27shop.html?hp

You getting the idea now Jim?

spike

If only we could use the parking spaces at your local malls as some sort of indicator instead of sales figures.

spike

Fallout begins after dismal holiday season

NEW YORK – The fallout from the horrific holiday season for retailers has begun, with the operator of an online toy seller filing for bankruptcy protection and more stores are expected to do the same — meaning more empty storefronts and fewer brands on store shelves. A rash of store closings, which some experts predict will be the most in 35 years, is likely to come across areas from electronics to apparel, shrinking the industry and leading to fewer niche players and suppliers.

The most dramatic pullback in consumer spending in decades could transform the retail landscape, as thousands of stores and whole malls close down. And analysts expect prolonged woes in the industry as the dramatic changes in shopping behavior could linger for another two or three years amid worries about the deteriorating economy and rising layoffs.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081229/ap_on_bi_ge/holiday_fallout

Jim? You going to come back and tell us everything is rosy?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member

jimpeel

It seems that all these stories have one interesting flaw. They're not passing out numbers early in the story. The headline would usually be somethign in the order of Sales down 8%. Instead we're hearing how bad it is but the meat of the matter has been left out. Perhaps they couldn't afford it?

We were up 39% over last year on Black Friday and we are up 24% overall over last year. I can state that everything is rosy at my store.

Today, I was at Best Buy ordering an outdoor antenna for the new TV I bought the in-laws. There was a couple there who bought a new TV and spent $1,959. They used credit as far as I could tell.

spike

Today, I was at Best Buy ordering an outdoor antenna for the new TV I bought the in-laws. There was a couple there who bought a new TV and spent $1,959. They used credit as far as I could tell.

Holy shit~!

Imagine.

MrBishop

TV is the cheapest form of entertainment. Cheaper than movies and travel. When you're planning on spending a lot of time at home because you can't afford to 'go out' - get a better TV :D

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Thats why we have a 52" LCD. It's cheaper to make our own food, pop our own popcorn & rent a DVD. Not nearly as much fun as getting off your ass & going out, amongst them, to wait for service & put up with noisy kids, smelly drunks & rude waiters, large bills & whether & how much to tip.

What's the attraction again?

spike

It seems that all these stories have one interesting flaw. They're not passing out numbers early in the story. The headline would usually be somethign in the order of Sales down 8%. Instead we're hearing how bad it is but the meat of the matter has been left out. Perhaps they couldn't afford it?

Numbers are easy enough to find Gonz.

U.S. Weekly Retail Sales Fall Most in Almost 6 Years

Dec. 30 (Bloomberg) -- U.S. retailers’ sales declined last week the most in almost six years as steeper markdowns before and after Christmas failed to salvage what may be the worst holiday shopping season in four decades.

Sales at stores open at least a year fell 1.8 percent in the seven days through Dec. 27, the International Council of Shopping Centers and Goldman Sachs Group Inc. said today in a statement. That’s the biggest year-over-year drop since February 2003. Holiday comparable-store sales may decline as much as 2 percent, according to the New York-based trade group.

Consumers spent at least 20 percent less on women’s clothing, electronics and jewelry in November and December, pressuring retailers including Macy’s Inc. and Talbots Inc. to mark down clothes and jewelry by as much as 70 percent after the holiday. That may further squeeze fourth-quarter profit margins.

“Fourth-quarter earnings for retailers will tank,” Richard Hastings, a consumer strategist at Global Hunter Securities LLC of Newport Beach, California, said in a telephone interview. “I don’t think we return to normal next year.”

December sales may drop at least 1 percent, with “only a few bright spots,” such as Wal-Mart Stores Inc., “amid double- digit declines among a broad swath of the industry,” ICSC Chief Economist Michael Niemira predicted. The trade group studies sales at about 40 chains.

Four Decades

The ICSC’s forecast last week of a same-store sales drop of as much as 2 percent in November and December is more than its previously projected decline of 1 percent. It would be the largest decrease since at least 1970, when the trade group started tracking shifts from the previous year.

The holiday shopping season accounts for as much as 35 percent of annual sales, according to the National Retail Federation industry group.

The Johnson Redbook Index, another measure of retail performance, fell 0.4 percent last week compared with a year earlier as a “last-minute Christmas rush” failed to counter sluggish pre-holiday sales and winter storms, New York-based Redbook Research Inc. said today in a statement. The report measures sales at about 9,000 stores.

Eric Beder, an analyst at Brean Murray Carret & Co. in New York, today reduced fourth-quarter and 2009 earnings estimates for retailers including J.Crew Group Inc., Coldwater Creek Inc. and Aeropostale Inc.

Inventory Discipline

“A rapidly declining economy, almost the smallest period of days between Thanksgiving and Christmas, terrible weather patterns and very aggressive discounting by retailers all combined to create one of the worst holiday seasons in recent memory,” Beder wrote in a research note. That “easily overwhelmed any inventory discipline retailers were able to exercise.”

The Standard & Poor’s 500 Retailing Index has shed 33 percent this year, with only three of its 27 companies rising.

The index doesn’t include Wal-Mart, the world’s largest retailer, which fell 6 cents to $55.05 as of 4:02 p.m. in New York Stock Exchange composite trading. Wal-Mart shares have gained 16 percent this year through today.

“Wal-Mart looks to have had the best holiday season as consumers sought out the best value,” Brian Nagel, a retail analyst at UBS, said yesterday in a Bloomberg Television interview. “Other than that, it was pretty weak.”

Gap Inc. and Macy’s are among retailers that plan to report December results on Jan. 8. Some investors consider comparable- store sales the best measure of results because they exclude the effect of location openings and closings in the past year.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aotJ1J_FcEqE&refer=home

2minkey

bootlicker
Thats why we have a 52" LCD. It's cheaper to make our own food, pop our own popcorn & rent a DVD. Not nearly as much fun as getting off your ass & going out, amongst them, to wait for service & put up with noisy kids, smelly drunks & rude waiters, large bills & whether & how much to tip.

What's the attraction again?

cute girls to leer at?

and it's much more tolerable when you are the smelly drunk!

... yeah i ain't been to a regular theater for at least a year.