Black Friday sales up 3% over last year

Inkara1

At the Home Depot I worked at, people didn't realize you had to also swipe many items over the sensormatic square by the scanning area to deactivate the tag. Then, they would go to walk out the door and the item they paid for would set off the sensormatic alarm. It got to the point where the nearest cashier would simply ask, "self check-out?" and the person would answer yes and be sent on his or her way. That seems like a bit of an invitation for shrink to me.

jimpeel

So here's how the sales on my register panned out today 12-13-2008:

Credit as a percentage of total ... 55.45%

>5% from 12-07-2008 which was 50.39%

Let's see what it is next week.

jimpeel

Here's how the sales on my register panned out today 12-14-2008:

Credit as a percentage of total ... 51.37%

>.98% from 12-07-2008 which was 50.39%

GrandCaravanSE

Here's how the sales on my register panned out today 12-14-2008:

Credit as a percentage of total ... 51.37%

>.98% from 12-07-2008 which was 50.39%

Not sure what the percentage is at my store but credit is on the incline, more and more people seem to use it, even on small orders.

2minkey

bootlicker
The self check-out stations lasted about a year here .. they really sucked and ate up more of the workers' time than if they just had them working the checkout.

i think self check outs are a wonderful solution to a problem no one ever had.

chcr

Too cute for words
We have them here in TN. When you buy beer the store is required to ID everyone. Creates a bit of a bottleneck. Another problem is that fully fifteen percent of those who try to use them are likely not qualified to operate the shopping cart.

BTW, I was at the mall last night and it was a ghost town.

jimpeel

Here's how the sales on my register panned out today 12-17-2008:

Credit as a percentage of total ... 41.05%

Admittedly, I was on a speedline all day which tends to be mostly cash sales as people are buying a limited number of items so I would not call this indicative of less usage, just a stat.

jimpeel

Here's how the sales on my register panned out today 12-22-2008:

Credit as a percentage of total ... 49.46%

<.93% from 12-07-2008 which was 50.39%

I was on one of the busiest registers in the entire store.

MrBishop

I'm sure that your store appreciates sharing this information with us, Jim...but... we've lost the reasoning behind your statements. Effectively, you were saying what again?

MrBishop

People buying on credit vs. cash means that they'll have less to spend later in the year, sacrificed to the 'spirit of the season' - it's the Santa-bubble, and will burst come February

chcr

Too cute for words
I'm sure that your store appreciates sharing this information with us, Jim...but... we've lost the reasoning behind your statements. Effectively, you were saying what again?

Bugrit. Millenium hand and shrimp.

chcr

Too cute for words
I've always especially liked the way Nobby carries a note signed by Vetenari certifying him human. That and the very idea that he needs proof. :D

Frank Probity

If I was arguing the recession I would either revive the recession thread or start another; but the name of the board is off topic central so you just keep yanking the thread off topic and I'll try to bring it back on topic.

I worked self checkout all day today. Wal-Mart is not placing them in new stores and they are tearing them out of stores that are refurbished. Stores are refurbished every five years but I fear that our store will not be refurbished for seven to ten years. Ours was the first store ever to have poured floors with colorant. All the rest before that had tile floors; and they all look like shit after about three years. Ours looks like it did when new.

The thing that is nice about these floors is that the colorant bleeds to the surface when the floor gets bleached out by acidic spills like vinegar. The first time I saw the aftermath of one of those massive one gallon pickle jars going off like a grenade when it hit the floor I thought "Well, there goes our nice floor." Within about a month, I could not discern where the spill even occurred. It was kinda eerily cool that it was simply gone without a trace.

Silly is not reading the thread. :rolleyes:
Did you read the article in POST #1?
The thread is about BLACK FRIDAY, not the "holiday period".

Sorry. Sometimes I just can't help myself. :rofl: