By the by -- bye bye

Professur

You wish. :rolleyes: Talk about "pissing away."

With your logic you would call a "pistol" a "rifle" correct?

File:105mm_tank_gun_Rifling.jpg

"A rifle" is a firearm designed to be fired from the shoulder.

A "machine gun" is not a "rifle."

Go into a gun store and tell the guy behind the counter you want to buy a "rifle." Where does he point you to?

:shrug:

Ah, the ever loved edit. No prob.

No, I wouldn't call a pistol a rifle. Nor would I call a tripod mounted fully automatic weapon a rifle. There are more appropriate names to use, that better describe them. That doesn't make the term inaccurate, tho, my dear. Likewise, I know a dozen different names for bows ... compound, recurve, longbow .... but that doesn't make the term arrow-slinger wrong.

As for the bozo behind the counter .... sorry, but if you walk in and ask 'him' for 'a rifle' .... you deserve the hosing you've got coming to you. There's usually one or two people in the entire establishment who are qualified to actually discuss the details of a firearm. If he looks at the rack and calls everything 'rifle' ... he's probably only one application away from flipping burgers.

Cerise

As for the bozo behind the counter .... sorry, but if you walk in and ask 'him' for 'a rifle' .... you deserve the hosing you've got coming to you. There's usually one or two people in the entire establishment who are qualified to actually discuss the details of a firearm. If he looks at the rack and calls everything 'rifle' ... he's probably only one application away from flipping burgers.

I bought a rifle this past spring, and I didn't get the impression that the store employed people that didn't know what I was talking about. :shrug:

Professur

Actually, I've heard unimpressive reviews of the Judge. The .410 just doesn't have the umph to do anything more than worry snakes. The gaps needed to fire the .410 make the .45 round unimpressive too.

Professur

I bought a rifle this past spring, and I didn't get the impression that the store employed people that didn't know what I was talking about. :shrug:

Then treasure that store well, because 'if' the clerks are all well informed, it's one of very few.

So, what did you get?

Cerise

I think the Judge is for up close and personal.

I got something something that harkens back to the days of the ol' West, something to eliminate the pesty critters that dare to enter the ground or air space that it surveys. Why get something bigger if you're not going to kill something bigger? I have a hand rifle for that. :brow:

valkyrie

You wish. :rolleyes: Talk about "pissing away."

With your logic you would call a "pistol" a "rifle" correct?

File:105mm_tank_gun_Rifling.jpg

"A rifle" is a firearm designed to be fired from the shoulder.

A "machine gun" is not a "rifle."

Go into a gun store and tell the guy behind the counter you want to buy a "rifle." Where does he point you to?

:shrug:
My gawd, you dig yourself a deeper and deeper pit for which you seem to have difficulty escaping. Yeesh! :rolleyes:
Barrett RIFLES
Browse the "rifles" section.

valkyrie

Actually, I've heard unimpressive reviews of the Judge. The .410 just doesn't have the umph to do anything more than worry snakes. The gaps needed to fire the .410 make the .45 round unimpressive too.
/Valkyrie likes snakes because they eat rats (and Trolls) so she lets them live.
:cool4:

valkyrie

Typically, as a shoulder fired "rifle" is Barrett semi-automatic?
You can get them either way. If you checked the link you will find that they also make bolt action...
Barrett model 95
... and these tend to be much cheaper than the semi-autos. Semi-autos can run you about $10K (used) depending on what model you get. (I am still talking about .50 cals).

FYI, they are built to lean against the shoulder when you fire, but because of the length of the barrel and the weight (25 lbs or more) these rifles are meant to be fired while mounted on a tripod or at least propped up on something. However, you still need to hold the butt of the rifle to your shoulder.

If you are interested in firing one I heard that there's a company in Vegas that will drive you to a private firing range and rent you one. (But you should look it up first, I heard this second hand.)

MrBishop

What firearms have anything to do with Jim's sudden departure is beyond me :shrug:

Gimme one of these though...I even know where to find one should the Zombie Invasion ever happen :)

gmgcover.jpg

2minkey

bootlicker
prolly because i suggested that jim stay away from .50bmg with respect to his political activities.

but let's look at the positive here.

all the petty scurrying and definitional masturbation in this thread certainly does salute jim's legacy!

valkyrie

What firearms have anything to do with Jim's sudden departure is beyond me :shrug:

Gimme one of these though...I even know where to find one should the Zombie Invasion ever happen :)

gmgcover.jpg
Grenades are far more effective against Zombies than a .50 cal. I would throw in a flame thrower but be careful how you use it. The Zombies will keep coming at you even if they are on fire.